Linux users excluded from Oxbridge - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux users excluded from Oxbridge - Linux ; >Hadrone quacked: >> >> My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main >> method. Lying fsckwit. You claimed that Linux users were "excluded", not that they need to use a "secondary method". -- "If Linux had ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

  1. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    >Hadrone quacked:
    >>
    >> My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    >> method.


    Lying fsckwit. You claimed that Linux users were "excluded", not that
    they need to use a "secondary method".

    --
    "If Linux had gotten to the market on time and would have been
    presented in an effective way, many more people would be using it,
    too. But that did not happen and the chance is forever lost." -
    "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

  2. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >>Hadrone quacked:
    >>>
    >>> My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    >>> method.

    >
    > Lying fsckwit. You claimed that Linux users were "excluded", not that
    > they need to use a "secondary method".
    >
    > --
    > "If Linux had gotten to the market on time and would have been
    > presented in an effective way, many more people would be using it,
    > too. But that did not happen and the chance is forever lost." -
    > "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark


    "Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to
    deceive". -- Sir Walter Scott

    You'd think Hadron would have had enough practice as a kid, trying to
    convince his mum that someone else nicked the tuppence.

    --
    For the first time we have a weapon that nobody has used for thirty years.
    This gives me great hope for the human race.
    -- Harlan Ellison

  3. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >>> Hadrone quacked:
    >>>> My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    >>>> method.

    >> Lying fsckwit. You claimed that Linux users were "excluded", not that
    >> they need to use a "secondary method".
    >>
    >> --
    >> "If Linux had gotten to the market on time and would have been
    >> presented in an effective way, many more people would be using it,
    >> too. But that did not happen and the chance is forever lost." -
    >> "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

    >
    > "Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to
    > deceive". -- Sir Walter Scott
    >
    > You'd think Hadron would have had enough practice as a kid, trying to
    > convince his mum that someone else nicked the tuppence.



    This group already has enough Brits.

  4. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On 2008-10-08, Matt wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>>> Hadrone quacked:
    >>>>> My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    >>>>> method.
    >>> Lying fsckwit. You claimed that Linux users were "excluded", not that
    >>> they need to use a "secondary method".
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "If Linux had gotten to the market on time and would have been
    >>> presented in an effective way, many more people would be using it,
    >>> too. But that did not happen and the chance is forever lost." -
    >>> "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

    >>
    >> "Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to
    >> deceive". -- Sir Walter Scott
    >>
    >> You'd think Hadron would have had enough practice as a kid, trying to
    >> convince his mum that someone else nicked the tuppence.

    >
    >
    > This group already has enough Brits.


    Too right! We need more Australians in here!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  5. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    SomeBloke espoused:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>
    >> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>
    >> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >> academics available through iTunes."

    >
    > Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch,


    Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    technically weak and foolish bunch...

    > I don't think that they will let a
    > little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.
    >
    > I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    > from here http://getsongbird.com/
    >
    > No doubt there are other solutions but I found these after a simple Google
    > search.
    >


    As you say, I'm sure that the students will find ways of getting around
    the incompetence of the Universities.

    --
    | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |


  6. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Chris Ahlstrom espoused:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >>>Hadrone quacked:
    >>>>
    >>>> My point was that they are using proprietary iTunes as the main
    >>>> method.

    >>
    >> Lying fsckwit. You claimed that Linux users were "excluded", not that
    >> they need to use a "secondary method".
    >>
    >> --
    >> "If Linux had gotten to the market on time and would have been
    >> presented in an effective way, many more people would be using it,
    >> too. But that did not happen and the chance is forever lost." -
    >> "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

    >
    > "Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to
    > deceive". -- Sir Walter Scott
    >
    > You'd think Hadron would have had enough practice as a kid, trying to
    > convince his mum that someone else nicked the tuppence.
    >


    Sub-atomic man had a point, though, there is no excuse for Oxford or
    Cambridge to be doing this - it's short-sighted, foolish, and a strong
    sign of the same kind of technical incompetence we're seeing from the
    British Library, the BBC, and elsewhere.

    --
    | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |


  7. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:16:16 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > SomeBloke espoused:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>>
    >>> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>>
    >>> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >>> academics available through iTunes."

    >>
    >> Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch,

    >
    > Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    > technically weak and foolish bunch...
    >
    >> I don't think that they will let a
    >> little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.
    >>
    >> I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    >> from here http://getsongbird.com/
    >>
    >> No doubt there are other solutions but I found these after a simple Google
    >> search.
    >>

    >
    > As you say, I'm sure that the students will find ways of getting around
    > the incompetence of the Universities.


    Most universities have their own UNIX/Linux groups, so I don't doubt it.
    For eg: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/linux/



    A few, like Leeds, advertise Linux jobs in their IT teams & starting
    at University Grade 7 - 29,000/year (as long as you're educated to
    degree level, have good knowledge and practical experience of Linux
    systems administration, deployment mechanisms, application software
    installation, assisting in the development of new Linux systems etc)
    Hmm...in other words, bozos like Quack need not apply.


  8. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    William Poaster espoused:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:16:16 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> SomeBloke espoused:
    >>> Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7655266.stm
    >>>>
    >>>> Time to "Boycott" the great universities.
    >>>>
    >>>> "Oxford and Cambridge University are to make lectures by leading
    >>>> academics available through iTunes."
    >>>
    >>> Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch,

    >>
    >> Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    >> technically weak and foolish bunch...
    >>
    >>> I don't think that they will let a
    >>> little matter of iTunes not available natively on Linux stop them.
    >>>
    >>> I expect that they will either run iTunes via Wine or simply use Songbird
    >>> from here http://getsongbird.com/
    >>>
    >>> No doubt there are other solutions but I found these after a simple Google
    >>> search.
    >>>

    >>
    >> As you say, I'm sure that the students will find ways of getting around
    >> the incompetence of the Universities.

    >
    > Most universities have their own UNIX/Linux groups, so I don't doubt it.
    > For eg: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/linux/
    >
    >
    >
    > A few, like Leeds, advertise Linux jobs in their IT teams & starting
    > at University Grade 7 - £29,000/year (as long as you're educated to
    > degree level, have good knowledge and practical experience of Linux
    > systems administration, deployment mechanisms, application software
    > installation, assisting in the development of new Linux systems etc)
    > Hmm...in other words, bozos like Quack need not apply.
    >


    Not a bad salary, and you get to work in God's Own County, too :-)

    --
    | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |


  9. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    On Oct 9, 1:05 pm, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:16:16 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    > > Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    > > technically weak and foolish bunch...

    > Most universities have their own UNIX/Linux groups, so I don't doubt it.
    > For eg: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/linux/
    > A few, like Leeds, advertise Linux jobs in their IT teams & starting
    > at University Grade 7 - 29,000/year (as long as you're educated to
    > degree level, have good knowledge and practical experience of Linux
    > systems administration, deployment mechanisms, application software
    > installation, assisting in the development of new Linux systems etc)


    And the University where one poster says the IT people "appear to be a
    very short-sighted, technically weak and foolish bunch" also have a
    vacancy for a Linux person (at Grade 8): http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jobs/unixsysadmin.xml

    Although it's not quite as rugged as nice parts of Yorkshire, the
    beautiful Chilterns and Cotswolds are both not far away, and there's
    also lots of good ale to had here too.

  10. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Barry Cornelius writes:

    > On Oct 9, 1:05 pm, William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:16:16 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> > Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    >> > technically weak and foolish bunch...

    >> Most universities have their own UNIX/Linux groups, so I don't doubt it.
    >> For eg: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/linux/
    >> A few, like Leeds, advertise Linux jobs in their IT teams & starting
    >> at University Grade 7 - £29,000/year (as long as you're educated to
    >> degree level, have good knowledge and practical experience of Linux
    >> systems administration, deployment mechanisms, application software
    >> installation, assisting in the development of new Linux systems etc)

    >
    > And the University where one poster says the IT people "appear to be a
    > very short-sighted, technically weak and foolish bunch" also have a
    > vacancy for a Linux person (at Grade 8): http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jobs/unixsysadmin.xml
    >
    > Although it's not quite as rugged as nice parts of Yorkshire, the
    > beautiful Chilterns and Cotswolds are both not far away, and there's
    > also lots of good ale to had here too.


    True. Some great nights to be had in Oxford. Was it the Bear with the
    chopped ties? Also some great Indian food to be had on the Cowley
    road. Magdalene is like stepping back in time.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  11. Re: Linux users excluded from Oxbridge

    Barry Cornelius espoused:
    > On Oct 9, 1:05 pm, William Poaster wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 08:16:16 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> > Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    >> > technically weak and foolish bunch...

    >> Most universities have their own UNIX/Linux groups, so I don't doubt it.
    >> For eg: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/linux/
    >> A few, like Leeds, advertise Linux jobs in their IT teams & starting
    >> at University Grade 7 - £29,000/year (as long as you're educated to
    >> degree level, have good knowledge and practical experience of Linux
    >> systems administration, deployment mechanisms, application software
    >> installation, assisting in the development of new Linux systems etc)

    >
    > And the University where one poster says the IT people "appear to be a
    > very short-sighted, technically weak and foolish bunch" also have a
    > vacancy for a Linux person (at Grade 8): http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jobs/unixsysadmin.xml


    Well, you snipped the context... it was an ironic statement, dependent
    on the remark to which it was replying. Without the context, the
    meaning changes, and it was not what I intended.

    It actually said:

    >> Students at Oxbridge are a smart bunch,

    > Interesting, since their IT people appear to be a very short-sighted,
    > technically weak and foolish bunch...




    Now, I'll appreciate that it's not the funniest thing that I've ever
    written, but I'm sure it's clear that the meaning is quite different
    with the context.

    >
    > Although it's not quite as rugged as nice parts of Yorkshire, the
    > beautiful Chilterns and Cotswolds are both not far away, and there's
    > also lots of good ale to had here too.


    Oxford's very nice, and the colleges are wonderful. I've nothing against it.
    Requiring Windows, though, is short-sighted and foolish.

    --
    | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2