Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason.... - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason.... - Linux ; Imagine the 'horror when I plugged my 80G iPod Classic into the cradle in my Mustang and discovered instead of having about 50G of tunes, I had nothing. Nada... Just the prompt for language. The only things that have touched ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

  1. Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    Imagine the 'horror when I plugged my 80G iPod Classic into the cradle in
    my Mustang and discovered instead of having about 50G of tunes, I had
    nothing.
    Nada...
    Just the prompt for language.

    The only things that have touched the iPod was Amarok, Banshee and Rhythm
    Box all under Linux.
    I haven't ran MediaMonkey or iTunes in a couple of weeks.
    Only Linux.

    I've always had auto-sync off in all applications, including Windows ones,
    because I prefer to manually sync.

    Linux once again proves it's hosed..

    Fortunately, all the stuff is backed up so it was an easy restore.
    Under Windows of course.

    I'm going to try things under Linux again and keep track of what I do to
    see what caused the problems.

    I have a suspicion that because I have 2 media players (iPod mini and the
    Classic) one or more of the applications got confused.
    The iPods are named differently BTW.

    In all fairness, if that is indeed the case, MediaMonkey has troubles
    dealing with more than one device as well.
    iTunes does not.


    Stay (i)Tuned......


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  2. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Imagine the 'horror when I plugged my 80G iPod Classic into the cradle in
    > my Mustang and discovered instead of having about 50G of tunes, I had
    > nothing.
    > Nada...
    > Just the prompt for language.


    What an utter waste of bandwidth Golfarb.
    Perhaps you should show some consideration to people on metered connections
    before posting such ****e.

    Hmmm, sure I've seen that line somewhere before recently...

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |
    | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |
    | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |

  3. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:49 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Imagine the 'horror when I plugged my 80G iPod Classic into the cradle in
    >> my Mustang and discovered instead of having about 50G of tunes, I had
    >> nothing.
    >> Nada...
    >> Just the prompt for language.

    >
    > What an utter waste of bandwidth Golfarb.
    > Perhaps you should show some consideration to people on metered connections
    > before posting such ****e.
    >
    > Hmmm, sure I've seen that line somewhere before recently...


    Typical *Linux advocacy*.
    Bury the head in the sand, or some other place.

    The truth hurts Spike, sometimes it really does.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  4. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:49 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Imagine the 'horror when I plugged my 80G iPod Classic into the
    >>> cradle in my Mustang and discovered instead of having about 50G of
    >>> tunes, I had nothing.
    >>> Nada...
    >>> Just the prompt for language.

    >>
    >> What an utter waste of bandwidth Golfarb.
    >> Perhaps you should show some consideration to people on metered
    >> connections before posting such ****e.
    >>
    >> Hmmm, sure I've seen that line somewhere before recently...

    >
    > Typical *Linux advocacy*.
    > Bury the head in the sand, or some other place.
    >
    > The truth hurts Spike, sometimes it really does.


    Remember that these cola idiots are unconscionable freeloaders. Until it
    happens to them, cola lusers couldn't care less about Linux crapware burning
    its victims.



  5. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    On 2008-10-07, DFS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:49 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>> Imagine the 'horror when I plugged my 80G iPod Classic into the
    >>>> cradle in my Mustang and discovered instead of having about 50G of
    >>>> tunes, I had nothing.
    >>>> Nada...
    >>>> Just the prompt for language.
    >>>
    >>> What an utter waste of bandwidth Golfarb.
    >>> Perhaps you should show some consideration to people on metered
    >>> connections before posting such ****e.
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm, sure I've seen that line somewhere before recently...

    >>
    >> Typical *Linux advocacy*.
    >> Bury the head in the sand, or some other place.
    >>
    >> The truth hurts Spike, sometimes it really does.

    >
    > Remember that these cola idiots are unconscionable freeloaders. Until it
    > happens to them, cola lusers couldn't care less about Linux crapware burning
    > its victims.


    This seems strange. Infact, it is more consistent with the
    behavior of iTunes itself than any of the Linux tools. All of
    the Linux tools are content to leave your data be.

    It's iTunes that wants to wipe your iPod the moment you plug
    it in. This happens when you plug a fresh installation of iTunes
    into an iPod that's already being used.

    ..and there's also the problem of A not necessarily implying B.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||
    the real butchers from average Joes (or Fritzes) caught up in / | \
    events not in their control.

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >It's iTunes that wants to wipe your iPod the moment you plug
    >it in. This happens when you plug a fresh installation of iTunes
    >into an iPod that's already being used.


    Really? Ultra-lame.


  7. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:47:28 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >>It's iTunes that wants to wipe your iPod the moment you plug
    >>it in. This happens when you plug a fresh installation of iTunes
    >>into an iPod that's already being used.

    >
    > Really? Ultra-lame.


    Only when you make the mistake of trying to sync it to multiple libraries
    under multiple OS's, like Linux for example.

    And even then, you have to set it up to autosync.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:05:53 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:47:28 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's iTunes that wants to wipe your iPod the moment you plug it in.
    >>>This happens when you plug a fresh installation of iTunes into an
    >>>iPod that's already being used.


    > Only when you make the mistake of trying to sync it to multiple
    > libraries under multiple OS's, like Linux for example.


    Actually, at the link you provided it says "multiple computers". The
    multiple OS thing has to do with the formatting being incompatible.


    > And even then, you have to set it up to autosync.
    >
    > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202


    Again from your link:

    By default iPod is set to "Automatically sync songs to my iPod"
    sometimes called automatic mode.


    --
    -| Comrade Bob Hauck
    -| Proud part owner of the People's Mortgage & Insurance Companies
    -| http://www.haucks.org/

  9. Re: Linux Likes to Erase iPod's for some odd reason....

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:25:36 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:05:53 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:47:28 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >>
    >>> JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>It's iTunes that wants to wipe your iPod the moment you plug it in.
    >>>>This happens when you plug a fresh installation of iTunes into an
    >>>>iPod that's already being used.

    >
    >> Only when you make the mistake of trying to sync it to multiple
    >> libraries under multiple OS's, like Linux for example.

    >
    > Actually, at the link you provided it says "multiple computers". The
    > multiple OS thing has to do with the formatting being incompatible.


    Multiple computers, multiple OS's, even multiple management programs like
    say iTunes and MediaMonkey on the same copy of Windows.

    Point is ONE PROGRAM at a time.
    Use two and you will be in trouble.

    And a good example of this is running your iPod under Linux, say Amarok,
    and then going into iTunes to update firmware because you can't reliably do
    it under anything else.


    >
    >> And even then, you have to set it up to autosync.
    >>
    >> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

    >
    > Again from your link:
    >
    > By default iPod is set to "Automatically sync songs to my iPod"
    > sometimes called automatic mode.


    Correct and the first thing iTunes asks you is if you want to turn it off.
    Most people do.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread