IBM and social networking

,----[ Quote ]
| Some time ago I had a long talk with an IBM’er about social networking.
| [...]
| All of which leads to something I have been saying for many years, but which
| the journalism profession has been studiously ignoring.
| That is, any journalism enterprise exists to organize and advocate an
| industry, a community or lifestyle. Most get the advocacy part. None has yet
| figured out the directory bit.
| Could you build a newspaper with Bluehouse?

Microsoft tried and failed (details below), several times in fact, IIRC.

Microsoft-backed social network gets walloped

,----[ Quote ]
| A would-be social network called Wallop has shut its doors, according to a
| message on the home page.

Microsoft Slaps PC Gamers, Decides to Close Ensemble Studios

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite its legacy of producing some of the very finest strategy games with
| its Age of Empire and Age of Mythology series, Microsoft decided that it
| would be financially disadvantageous to continue to operate the wholly-owned
| Ensemble Studios.

Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
| and academic works for Live Search

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.

MSN Music Debacle Highlights EULA Dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| MSN Music’s EULA is a case in point. When active, MSN Music's webpage touted
| that customers could “choose their device and know its going to work”.
| But when customers went to purchase songs, they were shown legalese that
| stated the download service and the content provided were sold without
| warrantee. In other words, Microsoft doesn't promise you that the service or
| the music will work, or that you will always have access to music you bought.
| The flashy advertising promised your music, your way, but the fine print
| said, our way or the highway.

When DRM detonates your music collection

,----[ Quote ]
| It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
| has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
| DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
| registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
| server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
| new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)