I’m turning Taiwanese (I really think so)

,----[ Quote ]
| As for my first non-Mac experience in some time, Linpus Linux served on Acer
| Aspire has me pretty well hooked. I’ve got pretty close to touch-typing on
| the keyboard; and that was my biggest area of concern. The screen quality is
| as good as any of the reviews have already said it is. Video seems to play
| really well (although it struggled a bit with Little Britain USA on BBC
| iPlayer) and I think the on board games are cool.

Acer: We’re comin’ at ya, Dell

,----[ Quote ]
| And so to Budapest last month for Acer’s annual global press conference. What
| did I learn?

Dell’s Linux-powered Inspiron Mini 9 out now

,----[ Quote ]
| Been waiting for the Ubuntu-toting Dell Inspiron Mini 9? Well, wait no more:
| Dell has just launched the Eee PC-style netbook in the UK, priced at £269.

The One for you?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the time of writing we were only able to procure an Aspire One that runs
| on the Linpus Linux Lite operating system, hence this review will focus on
| the Linux version of the mini notebook.

Linpus Linux Lite Review

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago I became the proud owner of an Acer Aspire One Linux edition
| (reviewed here). Out of the box, this little wonder comes with the relatively
| unknown Linux distribution Linpus Linux Lite, which has been customized
| somewhat by Acer to make the most of the hardware in the Aspire One. The
| screenshot above and many more pictures of Acer’s version of Linpus are
| available at Golem.de, or you can find captures of the vanilla Linpus Lite
| 9.4 here.

Review: Acer Aspire One notebook computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP Home will be available on more expensive Aspire One models, but
| this one uses the free Linux operating system with a selection of useful
| programs installed. We liked the ability to start both Firefox and Openoffice
| Writer from the front screen, and the email and instant messaging programs
| can cleverly connect to several services.

Aspire One: the netbook Eee PC killer from Acer?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Aspire One is definitely a contender, coming with the Linpus version of
| Linux and enhanced with a friendly interface that looks graphically nicer
| than that which comes with the Xandros powered version of Linux on the Asus
| Eee PC.

Acer's Linpus Linux Lite (Fedora) ultra portable laptop piles the pressure on

,----[ Quote ]
| Gianpiero Morbello, Acer’s Vice President of Marketing and Brand, interviewed
| by vnunet, said, bluntly, that Acer “has shifted towards Linux because of
| Microsoft”.
| He didn’t elaborate but went on to say, perhaps more importantly,
| that “Microsoft has a lot of power” which could make things difficult for
| them but they were nevertheless “determined to develop the Linux market”.
| That’s pretty bold talk but as the saying goes, the proof of the pudding is
| in the eating. We’ll have wait and see if they have the stomach for a
| showdown with Microsoft when the threats start to come. Perhaps they might
| start backsliding like Asus. In the real world, Microsoft has real power and
| it has never been slow or afraid to wield it when its commercial interests
| are threatened. Linpus Technologies haven’t been behind the door either. As
| the software vendors of Linpus Linux Lite they have pitched their product to
| GNU/LInux novices and experts alike
| [...]
| The HP 2133 is another well spec’d contender but it chose to install SUSE, a
| Novell product that is being currently boycotted by many in the Unix
| community because of its link up with……Microsoft.

Acer punts £199... er... £220... er... Linux laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| At launch, the company stated the basic version of the Eee PC rival would run
| Linux, pack in 8GB of solid-state storage and 512MB of memory, and sport a
| £199 price tag. Company officials stressed that that figure included VAT, the
| UK's 17.5 per cent sales tax.

Acer launches $500 Atom-powered Linux mini-note

,----[ Quote ]
| Aspire One sports Intel’s Atom processor, an 8.9in screen and a $99 cashback
| deal on its $599 (Linux) and $699 (Windows XP) sticker price

Acer Aspire One

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of us will be familiar with Linux-based operating systems, but
| relatively few of you will have seen the particular 'Linpus' implementation
| in the One. The home screen is divided into four sections: "Connect" for all
| Internet, instant messenger and email-related tasks; "Work" for accessing
| OpenOffice word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and database
| applications; "Fun" for the games, media player and photo management
| software; and "Files" for accessing your data. There's also a search bar at
| the top right that can be used to search the Internet directly or the files
| on the hard drives.

Acer bets big on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
| netbooks.

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
| to go with that.

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.
| Lenovo.

Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

,----[ Quote ]
| Initially, Acer had offered only €30 if the man returned elements of the
| install at his own expense .

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)