Roy Culley is an identity thief - Linux

This is a discussion on Roy Culley is an identity thief - Linux ; Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA crowd. Check this out. I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com , lo and behold ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

  1. Roy Culley is an identity thief

    Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something
    interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
    crowd.

    Check this out.

    I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com, lo and
    behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier. Well,
    I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
    have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
    alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com. That was
    even more odd.

    A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley

    http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/

    Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?

    What else has he been doing in my name?

    Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

  2. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch

    wrote
    on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:57:21 -0400
    <19wd8w8fyfe5a$.dlg@funkenbusch.com>:
    > Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something
    > interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
    > crowd.
    >
    > Check this out.
    >
    > I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com, lo and
    > behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier. Well,
    > I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
    > have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
    > alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com. That was
    > even more odd.
    >
    > A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
    >
    > http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/
    >
    > Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?
    >
    > What else has he been doing in my name?
    >
    > Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

    I would not justify such behavior. However, since your
    dispute is with Mister Culley, I'd suggest you discuss it
    with him, Google GMail, or the appropriate authorities.

    But thanks for the warning. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  3. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 06 October 2008 22:05 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
    >
    > wrote
    > on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:57:21 -0400
    > <19wd8w8fyfe5a$.dlg@funkenbusch.com>:
    >> Hey everyone, long time...

    Yes, we are sorry to hear:

    Microsoft institutes hiring freeze

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...es-hiring.html

    >> been busy on a new project, but something
    >> interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
    >> crowd.
    >>
    >> Check this out.
    >>
    >> I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com, lo and
    >> behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier. Well,
    >> I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
    >> have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
    >> alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com. That was
    >> even more odd.
    >>
    >> A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
    >>
    >> http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/
    >>
    >> Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?
    >>
    >> What else has he been doing in my name?
    >>
    >> Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

    > I would not justify such behavior. However, since your
    > dispute is with Mister Culley, I'd suggest you discuss it
    > with him, Google GMail, or the appropriate authorities.
    >
    > But thanks for the warning. ;-)

    Tell your colleagu Gary to drop those many accounts he created under my name
    before resorting to this hypocrisy, shill.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com

  4. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:57:21 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior

    It's not our concern, take it up with whoever you think is responsible,
    troll.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Press any key to continue or any other key to quit

  5. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Hey everyone, long time...

    Ah well, welcome back anyway. No doubt we'll have lots of fun, just like in
    the old days.

    > been busy on a new project, but something interesting happened today that
    > I thought I would share with the COLA crowd.
    >
    > Check this out.
    >
    > I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com,

    What's wrong with erik.funkenbusch@hotmail.com? You /are/ kinda, let's put
    it mildly, Microsoft-subservient, now aren't you?

    > lo and behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier.
    > Well, I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I
    > would have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the
    > registered alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at
    > mrloy.com. That was even more odd.
    >
    > A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
    >
    > http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/

    That would be sort of not very nice, I agree.

    > Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?

    I haven't the foggiest. Prank? A bit of pestering, perhaps?

    > What else has he been doing in my name?

    Well, nothing much here, anyway -- otherwise we'd have noticed for sure.

    > Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

    All I can contribute really is that you misspelled "despicable". Does that
    count as apologetic too?

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  6. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On 2008-10-06, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something
    > interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
    > crowd.
    >
    > Check this out.
    >
    > I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com, lo and
    > behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier. Well,
    > I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
    > have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
    > alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com. That was
    > even more odd.
    >
    > A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
    >
    > http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/
    >
    > Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?

    I don't know. Why would the many trolls register names in places like
    gmail and yahoo in order to antagonise?

    > What else has he been doing in my name?

    Possibly nothing. Have you checked?

    This looks like a good opportunity for you to stop running from all of
    the unanswered questions you've refused to answer over the years. When
    you say something stupid and don't want to own up to it, blame Roy.
    Might as well. You're never going to answer them anyway.

    > Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

    Maybe he uses it on a joke forum. I've seen Sarah-Palin and
    B-Hussein-Obama on Craig's List (showing up as registered) a few times.
    I've seen my own name used on a mailing list I used to subscribe to (I
    was using a made-up name, but my real one was known).

    I didn't know you owned that name in all circumstances. I don't think I
    own my name just because it happens to be the one I was given. When I
    wanted to make sure I owned my name somewhere I bought a domain.

    I'm not going to try to justify anything. I don't agree with it. But
    that doesn't mean there's some sinister purpose (the title of a good
    CCR song) behind it.

    --
    The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor to
    lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

  7. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On 2008-10-06, Richard Rasker claimed:
    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >> I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com,

    > What's wrong with erik.funkenbusch@hotmail.com? You /are/ kinda, let's put
    > it mildly, Microsoft-subservient, now aren't you?

    He's probably interested in an account that works and isn't 100% spam.
    For free.

    --
    Bring Windows to its knees: start an application.

  8. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:51:11 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    >> Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?

    > I don't know. Why would the many trolls register names in places like
    > gmail and yahoo in order to antagonise?

    So you're calling Roy a troll?

    >> What else has he been doing in my name?

    > Possibly nothing. Have you checked?

    How would I check? Any suggestions?

    > Maybe he uses it on a joke forum. I've seen Sarah-Palin and
    > B-Hussein-Obama on Craig's List (showing up as registered) a few times.
    > I've seen my own name used on a mailing list I used to subscribe to (I
    > was using a made-up name, but my real one was known).

    Using someone elses name without their permission is identity theft. At
    least in the case of high profile celebrities, one can make the case that
    nobody would believe it was really that person, but using a normal persons
    identity is pretty serious.

    > I didn't know you owned that name in all circumstances. I don't think I
    > own my name just because it happens to be the one I was given. When I
    > wanted to make sure I owned my name somewhere I bought a domain.

    There's a difference between a psuedonym and a real name.

  9. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:53:09 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-10-06, Richard Rasker claimed:
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    >>> I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com,

    >> What's wrong with erik.funkenbusch@hotmail.com? You /are/ kinda, let's put
    >> it mildly, Microsoft-subservient, now aren't you?

    > He's probably interested in an account that works and isn't 100% spam.
    > For free.

    More or less. I just like gmail better.

  10. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Using someone elses name without their permission is identity theft.

    I'm glad to hear that! The next time I run across another GMail user using
    "Don Zeigler" in any shape, form, or fashion, I'm going to sue their ass
    off.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Never test for an error you don't know how to handle.

  11. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something
    > interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
    > crowd.
    >
    > Check this out.
    >
    > I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com, lo and
    > behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier. Well,
    > I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
    > have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
    > alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com. That was
    > even more odd.
    >
    > A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
    >
    > http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/
    >
    > Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?
    >
    > What else has he been doing in my name?

    Nothing. At least nothing that shows up in Google.

    > Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

    You want a self-fulfilling prophecy, eh? You still haven't learned how
    off-beat and iconoclastic this bunch is.

    How do we know it wasn't you setting this up so you could smear Mr.
    Culley? That would explain why you were "away" for so long.

    Or it could be "George Orwell" or "Borked Pseudo Mail" or "Anonymous
    Sender" trying to worry you or wind you up.

    Maybe it's a dude with the same name. E-mail him and ask.

    --
    Never promise more than you can perform.
    -- Publilius Syrus

  12. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:19:01 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >
    >> Using someone elses name without their permission is identity theft.

    > I'm glad to hear that! The next time I run across another GMail user using
    > "Don Zeigler" in any shape, form, or fashion, I'm going to sue their ass
    > off.

    Oh, please. This is not some innocent usage of another persons name. This
    is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent.

  13. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:19:01 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using someone elses name without their permission is identity theft.

    >> I'm glad to hear that! The next time I run across another GMail user using
    >> "Don Zeigler" in any shape, form, or fashion, I'm going to sue their ass
    >> off.

    > Oh, please. This is not some innocent usage of another persons name. This
    > is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent.

    So... just like the roy posts then, which have him admitting to all kinds of
    sexual exploits and disfigurments...

    I imagine now you know how he feels, (and chrisv, and all the other people
    here who've been spoofed)...

    Only difference is, no-one here has witnessed roy actually using that
    account to post anything.

    Maybe he just registered it in a fit of pique after one of the many
    trollings you've committed in order to block it from your use and left it at
    that. In an "I've had it up to here with ****enbutch, I think I'll get back
    at him..." kinda way?

    Childish I know, but then, so are you.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  14. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > Maybe it's a dude with the same name. E-mail him and ask.

    Heh, indeed.
    It's not as if you don't know the e-mail address.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:57:21 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > Hey everyone, long time... been busy on a new project, but something
    > interesting happened today that I thought I would share with the COLA
    > crowd.
    >
    > Check this out.
    >
    > I decided to create a gmail account, erik.funkenbusch@gmail.com, lo and
    > behold it was taken. So I thought, maybe I had created it earlier. Well,
    > I went into the password reset and the question was not a question I would
    > have chosen, so I tried to have it send me an email at the registered
    > alternate address. It said it sent an email to me at mrloy.com. That was
    > even more odd.
    >
    > A whois lookup on mrloy.com shows it's registered to one Roy Culley
    >
    > http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/mrloy.com/
    >
    > Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?
    >
    > What else has he been doing in my name?
    >
    > Waiting to see how you guys try to justify this dispicable behavior.

    Interesting how they (the Linux Loons) reacted totally differently when
    Schestowitz's ID was supposedly nicked....

    What a collection of two faced phonies.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  16. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Interesting how they (the Linux Loons) reacted totally differently when
    > Schestowitz's ID was supposedly nicked....
    >
    > What a collection of two faced phonies.

    Oh right, so Mr Culley has been using that gmail account to post about
    Erik's transsexual adventures in sadomasochism?

    News to me.
    You truly are pathetic if you think erik's gmail and roy's spoofing are even
    remotely similar.

  17. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:02:23 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Interesting how they (the Linux Loons) reacted totally differently when
    >> Schestowitz's ID was supposedly nicked....
    >>
    >> What a collection of two faced phonies.

    > Oh right, so Mr Culley has been using that gmail account to post about
    > Erik's transsexual adventures in sadomasochism?
    >
    > News to me.
    > You truly are pathetic if you think erik's gmail and roy's spoofing are even
    > remotely similar.

    How do you know what he is doing?
    You don't.
    Now back to your bridge.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:21:18 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:02:23 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Interesting how they (the Linux Loons) reacted totally differently when
    >>> Schestowitz's ID was supposedly nicked....
    >>>
    >>> What a collection of two faced phonies.

    >> Oh right, so Mr Culley has been using that gmail account to post about
    >> Erik's transsexual adventures in sadomasochism?
    >>
    >> News to me.
    >> You truly are pathetic if you think erik's gmail and roy's spoofing are even
    >> remotely similar.

    > How do you know what he is doing?
    > You don't.
    > Now back to your bridge.

    BTW someone was playing with my /. account earlier this year.
    Trying to change the password etc.
    I suspected Doogie because of the trace the /. people sent me, but now I am
    not so sure.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  19. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On 2008-10-06, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:51:11 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >>> Now why would Roy Culley register a gmail address in my name?

    >> I don't know. Why would the many trolls register names in places like
    >> gmail and yahoo in order to antagonise?

    > So you're calling Roy a troll?

    Wrong inference. What you should have brought from that is: Why haven't
    _you_ been concerned when your fellow travellers did the same things to
    others who post here?

    >>> What else has he been doing in my name?

    >> Possibly nothing. Have you checked?

    > How would I check? Any suggestions?

    Does your name appear on search engines relating to things you haven't
    had anything to do with? Have you been receiving email, threats,
    subscriptions or anything else you shouldn't? Have your credit cards
    been billed for things you didn't order or get? Does your free annual
    credit report show accounts that you never established?

    >> Maybe he uses it on a joke forum. I've seen Sarah-Palin and
    >> B-Hussein-Obama on Craig's List (showing up as registered) a few times.
    >> I've seen my own name used on a mailing list I used to subscribe to (I
    >> was using a made-up name, but my real one was known).

    > Using someone elses name without their permission is identity theft. At
    > least in the case of high profile celebrities, one can make the case that
    > nobody would believe it was really that person, but using a normal persons
    > identity is pretty serious.

    So everybody on the planet with my name is stealing my identity? My
    using a name not my own is "stealing" if another person exists that has
    that name?

    If someone takes your name and uses it to defraud either you or others
    by stealing things from you, getting things for themselves that they
    pretended were going to you, worked to get you in hot water in some
    fashion by pretending to be you, or acted in any other similar ways, I
    would agree that's identity theft. I still haven't been convinced that
    this is more than the use of a name that you don't own by virtue of the
    fact that anyone on the planet named Funkenbusch is entitled to name a
    child Erik, or go to court and have their name changed to that no
    matter what surname they were born into.

    For all you know the name was registered to keep you from getting it
    yourself. You weren't deprived because you didn't already have it. The
    fact you came along later trying to get it doesn't automatically
    entitle you to it.

    >> I didn't know you owned that name in all circumstances. I don't think I
    >> own my name just because it happens to be the one I was given. When I
    >> wanted to make sure I owned my name somewhere I bought a domain.

    > There's a difference between a psuedonym and a real name.

    So what? I get to sue everybody in the world who has the same name as
    me? I could sue any living writers of the Dick Van Dyke Show because
    they used my name as one of the characters? I'm automatically entitled
    to relief just because someone used my name on a mailing list that I
    didn't join, didn't receive anything from, didn't participate in,
    didn't have any damage done to me because of it, but only because my
    name was used?

    I'd love to watch that 10 minutes in court before it was dismissed.

    --
    "[Microsoft's] products just aren't engineered for security."
    -- Brian Valentine

  20. Re: Roy Culley is an identity thief

    On 2008-10-06, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:19:01 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using someone elses name without their permission is identity theft.

    >> I'm glad to hear that! The next time I run across another GMail user using
    >> "Don Zeigler" in any shape, form, or fashion, I'm going to sue their ass
    >> off.

    > Oh, please. This is not some innocent usage of another persons name. This
    > is a deliberate attempt to misrepresent.

    Who has been subjected to this misrepresentation? Who or what was
    misrepresented?

    --
    Bring Vista to its knees: start an application.
    Oh, that's right. You can't!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast