Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years - Linux

This is a discussion on Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years - Linux ; According to Ballmer, [Nokia, RIM, Apple] all need to make way for Windows Mobile so that Microsoft can monopolize smartphones the same way that it monopolized PCs in the 90s. Rather than elucidating a genius strategy for making progress among ...

  1. Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    According to Ballmer, [Nokia, RIM, Apple] all need to make way for
    Windows Mobile so that Microsoft can monopolize smartphones the same
    way that it monopolized PCs in the 90s. Rather than elucidating a
    genius strategy for making progress among mobile devices, Ballmer was
    simply decreeing that Microsoft would win because it wants to win.
    [The history...]

    * [Microsoft] failed to take on the iPod with both the
    PlaysForSure software platform and its own integrated Zune hardware.
    * Windows Mobile has actually lost market share dramatically in
    the smartphone market, from 23% in 2004 to 12% today. It has no
    official plans for its own integrated phone.
    * Even PC sales are falling from Microsoft’s grasp, with Apple
    grabbing an increasingly large chunk of high growth laptop sales: 20%
    of retail US unit sales and a whopping 35% dollar share of that market
    now belong to Apple. Microsoft has no plans outlined for an integrated
    PC.
    * In video games, Microsoft has rapidly fallen from its early head
    start with the integrated Xbox 360. Conversely it has no plans to
    license the Xbox to commodity hardware partners.

    ....The problem is that Windows Mobile just isn’t very good. The
    desktop PC Windows wasn’t very good in 1990 either, but nobody offered
    a strong competitor that was ready to compete with it and broadly
    available.

    Microsoft delivered an equally bad product for
    smartphones...Smartphones with a bad user interface, lethargic
    performance, security holes, crashing instability, and long boot times
    can’t be rationalized around with a Ctl Alt Del or fed RAM until they
    work acceptably.

    If Apple and Microsoft were the only two major platforms competing in
    the smartphone arena, we may have had the opportunity to observe
    another PlaysForSure vs iPod unfold. However, this time around
    Microsoft is also competing against two major alternatives: the soon
    to be open sourced Symbian and Google’s Android, both of which are
    gunning to be the next “DOS” for smartphones.

    Apple will be unique in offering the differentiation of tight
    integration versus Android, Symbian, and Windows Mobile, while Windows
    Mobile will be unique in offering the only platform partners have to
    pay direct licensing fees to use. It will also be unique in offering a
    proprietary web browser. The other three will be pushing a WebKit
    based browser, meaning that the mobile world’s contributions will go
    into maintaining WebKit’s lead as the superior mobile browser engine.
    No wonder Microsoft hates open source....

    The impact [of iPhone] on Mac sales is already clearly visible. As
    Apple ramps up iPhone sales internationally and builds out retail
    stores in the wake of its sales, Mac hardware will also force its way
    into the cracks of the Windows PC monopoly and expand to break open
    the computing landscape. Thanks to the web and a new push to create
    platform-agnostic web apps led in part by Google, the barriers imposed
    by Microsoft to stifle competition and technological progress are
    rapidly becoming irrelevant in desktop computing.

    ....all of the top PC manufacturers are pushing back on Vista and
    investigating alternatives, with Acer pioneering Linux sales, Dell
    experimenting with Linux-based netbooks, and HP reportedly working to
    deliver its own OS, like a Linux variant. PC makers owe no loyalty to
    the company that has been taxing their performance with licensing
    fees. The only way they can compete for hardware sales is to
    differentiate themselves, something Windows 7 won’t help them do.

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/1...010/#more-2698

    Mark your calendars. Five years. Windows 7 will save us. No more
    Nokia, RIM, iPhone. Nossiree! We'll all be paying Windows Mobile
    customers, happily surfing the web with Internet Explorer!! No more
    Google either!! We'll get all we need from Microsoft Search!!
    Ballmer is going to pay whatever it takes to make sure that will
    happen! Don't you worry!!

  2. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    wrote in message

    > * In video games, Microsoft has rapidly fallen from its early head
    > start with the integrated Xbox 360. Conversely it has no plans to
    > license the Xbox to commodity hardware partners.

    Don't let facts get in your way!

    http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/200810...soft_sony_game

    Microsoft Xbox 360 outsells PS3 in Japan in Sept (Reuters)
    a.. Posted on Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:32AM EDT
    b..
    c..

  3. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    On 2008-10-06, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu claimed:

    > According to Ballmer, [Nokia, RIM, Apple] all need to make way for
    > Windows Mobile so that Microsoft can monopolize smartphones the same
    > way that it monopolized PCs in the 90s. Rather than elucidating a
    > genius strategy for making progress among mobile devices, Ballmer was
    > simply decreeing that Microsoft would win because it wants to win.
    > [The history...]

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/1...010/#more-2698
    >
    > Mark your calendars. Five years. Windows 7 will save us. No more
    > Nokia, RIM, iPhone. Nossiree! We'll all be paying Windows Mobile
    > customers, happily surfing the web with Internet Explorer!! No more
    > Google either!! We'll get all we need from Microsoft Search!!
    > Ballmer is going to pay whatever it takes to make sure that will
    > happen! Don't you worry!!

    I had to look at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Maybe
    Fester is starting a new trend, giving us a new day to celebrate on our
    calendars every year: Microsoft the Fool Day.

    --
    Any dimwit can run Windows Vista or XP. And they usually do.

  4. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > wrote in message
    >
    >> * In video games, Microsoft has rapidly fallen from its early head
    >> start with the integrated Xbox 360. Conversely it has no plans to
    >> license the Xbox to commodity hardware partners.

    > Don't let facts get in your way!
    >
    > http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/200810...soft_sony_game
    >
    > Microsoft Xbox 360 outsells PS3 in Japan in Sept (Reuters)
    > a.. Posted on Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:32AM EDT

    In a bid to lift sales, Microsoft on September 11 cut the price of
    the Xbox 360 Arcade, which comes without a hard disk drive, by 8,000
    yen ($76) to 19,800 yen. It also lowered the price of the high-end
    Elite model by 8,000 yen to 39,800 yen.

    Just another little fact from that link.

    --
    Stop! There was first a game of blindman's buff. Of course there was.
    And I no more believe Topper was really blind than I believe he had eyes

  5. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

  6. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

  7. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Monday 06 October 2008 20:19 : \____
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Don't let facts get in your way!
    >>>
    >>> http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/200810...soft_sony_game
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Xbox 360 outsells PS3 in Japan in Sept (Reuters)
    >>> a.. Posted on Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:32AM EDT

    >> In a bid to lift sales, Microsoft on September 11 cut the price of
    >> the Xbox 360 Arcade, which comes without a hard disk drive, by 8,000
    >> yen ($76) to 19,800 yen. It also lowered the price of the high-end
    >> Elite model by 8,000 yen to 39,800 yen.
    >>
    >> Just another little fact from that link.

    > "Hey, let's make a huge price cut, advertise it widely, then measure the
    > sales
    > in a timeframe of one week/month and bombard journalists in a
    > denial-of-service-style attack until they issue some distasteful
    > coverage."
    >
    > *yawn*
    >
    > Same 'ol Softie...

    What now price cuts are not against the rules? The problem is the Wii still
    outsells the PS3, most of the time anyway, so I guess they are fighting for
    number two. My friend loves the slow ass downloads and the slow ass
    installs on the PS3, compared the XBox 360 and the Wii.

  8. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:24:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > How long has Windows Mobile been out for? Where is it now? Did it ever make
    > any /profit/?

    How long has Linux been around?
    17 years now?

    Why such a miniscule market share for something that is free?

    Clue: When you have a product that is free and that virtually nobody wants
    to use, then you have one serious problem on your hands.

    Desktop Linux is that product and no amount of squawking from your
    propaganda mill will change that Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:00:20 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    >According to Ballmer, [Nokia, RIM, Apple] all need to make way for
    >Windows Mobile so that Microsoft can monopolize smartphones the same
    >way that it monopolized PCs in the 90s. Rather than elucidating a
    >genius strategy for making progress among mobile devices, Ballmer was
    >simply decreeing that Microsoft would win because it wants to win.
    >[The history...]

    Like the zune has replaced the ipod?

  10. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >
    >> You are getting worse than Linonut at telling lies.

    I never lie.

    Ever.

    --
    Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!

  11. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:4GQGk.59613$XB4.12320@bignews9.bellsouth.net. ..
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> "Hadron" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> You are getting worse than Linonut at telling lies.

    > I never lie.
    >
    > Ever.

    And I never say never.

    > --
    > Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!

  12. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:4GQGk.59613$XB4.12320@bignews9.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> I never lie.
    >>
    >> Ever.

    > And I never say never.

    Liarnut has been caught out so many times pretending to be familiar with
    very techy things and proven to be clueless that he simply must have been
    telling lies.

    --
    "His asshole is so reamed out he has room for an oxygen
    tank, too."

  13. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    > news:4GQGk.59613$XB4.12320@bignews9.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> I never lie.
    >>
    >> Ever.

    > And I never say never.

    So you lie, but I don't!

    Seriously, I learned long ago to suck it up and take the punishment.
    It's the easiest course in the long run.

    I don't even like making mistakes (though I do make them).

    --
    Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.

  14. Re: Ballmer: iPhone will lose to Windows within 5 years

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > I forgot to add, funding "research" to propagate their Big Lies,
    > passing wads of cash under the table to new SCOs and patent trolls to
    > make trouble for Linux, etc etc.

    Left side of nessuno's mouth: "I went with Linux in 1997 and never looked
    back"

    Right side of nessuno's mouth: Microsoft is all I can think and talk about
    on comp.os.linux.advocacy.

+ Reply to Thread