[News] Linux Has A Birthday - Linux

  1. [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    Linux turns 17

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT, was the subject of Linus Benedict
    | Torvalds post to comp.os.minix on October 5, 1991 -- seventeen years ago
    | today.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-turns-17

    One-time hobby now free to everyone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Torvalds began his work in 1991. Now, the continued development of Linux is
    | largely driven by users.
    |
    | The source code at the heart of all Linux systems is freely available to
    | everyone.
    |
    | Hundreds of companies, organizations and individuals have released versions
    | of Linux-based operating systems.
    |
    | Users cite the functionality and adaptability of Linux as making it the main
    | alternative for the Unix and Microsoft operating systems.
    `----

    http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=218143

    Recent:

    Free Software turns 25

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | FSF volunteer and the short film's writer-producer Matt Lee said, "Stephen
    | has generously donated his time to the cause of free software. His ability to
    | communicate a technological and philosophical movement in terms of the basic
    | principles of sharing and user freedom -- ideas that everyone can
    | understand -- will introduce a new and broader audience to the benefits of
    | free software."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Stallman began development of free-as-in-freedom Unix-like GNU software in
    | September, 1983. In 1992, all the essential pieces of the GNU system were
    | complete, except for one, the operating system kernel.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ning-years-old

    Happy Birthday Debian

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | August 16th, 1993 is the date when the Debian Project was officially founded.
    | A new Linux distribution at a time when Linux distributions were scarce
    | enough. A distribution that was open to every developer and user as far as
    | contributions when was unique.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20064/1054/

    Debian Turns 15 Years Old

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/28150/news.htm

    Debian Project News - July 7th, 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 16 August 2008 will mark the 15th birthday of the Debian project since its
    | first announcement by founder Ian Murdock on comp.os.linux.development on 16
    | August 1993. A coordination page for local Debian User Groups organizing and
    | announcing birthday events is already available at the Debian Wiki.
    `----

    http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2008/06/index.en.html

    Debian celebrates 15-year legacy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Debian, arguably the most important Linux distribution, is readying to
    | celebrate its 15th birthday on August 16.
    |
    | While a respected and widely-used Linux distribution in its own right, Debian
    | has, over the 15 years, also been widely used as the base for numerous other
    | Linux distributions, including the popular Ubuntu distribution created by
    | South African entrepreneur, Mark Shuttleworth.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2662

  2. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linux turns 17
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT, was the subject of Linus Benedict
    >| Torvalds post to comp.os.minix on October 5, 1991 -- seventeen years ago
    >| today.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-turns-17

    17 years, and still only at 1% .

    Imagine that! A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
    of Mordorsoft.

    Not only surviving... flourishing.

    --
    The way to a man's stomach is through his esophagus.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    On 2008-10-06, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linux turns 17
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT, was the subject of Linus Benedict
    >>| Torvalds post to comp.os.minix on October 5, 1991 -- seventeen years ago
    >>| today.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-turns-17

    > 17 years, and still only at 1% .
    >
    > Imagine that! A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
    > of Mordorsoft.
    >
    > Not only surviving... flourishing.

    And at 17, the little boy, linux, has grown up and is preparing to put
    grandpa Windows into a home.

    --
    Microsoft: The company that made web surfing dangerous.

  4. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Monday 06 October 2008 15:19 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linux turns 17
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT, was the subject of Linus
    >>| Benedict Torvalds post to comp.os.minix on October 5, 1991 -- seventeen
    >>| years ago today.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-turns-17

    > 17 years, and still only at 1% .
    >
    > Imagine that! A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
    > of Mordorsoft.
    >
    > Not only surviving... flourishing.

    One percent? Only if you listen to lietistics and ignore much of the population
    you have for an analysis...

    To repeat some things from earlier...

    Desktop (from the Microsoft's partner group):

    Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows-powered personal computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,.
    | Linux 4%, Gartner says.
    `---- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

    http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    Server (from the horse's mouth):

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | work to do."
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

    HPC (exhaustive analysis by Top500):

    Linux still super in Top500

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the June 2008 Top500 list, Linux still lives large with a role in 92% of
    | systems (It is the only OS for 85.4%, but when considering all distributions
    | (SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and general ‘Linux,’ as well as mixed uses that
    | include Linux, I figure the share is more like the 92%).
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...per-in-top500/

    Embedded (study):

    Embedded Linux research report ships

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | EDC noted that some 40 percent of the survey's 500 respondents were targeting
    | ^^^^^^^^^^
    | embedded Linux.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Also in the earlier reports, Andrews observed that the need for RTOS source
    | code was "one of the reasons that proprietary RTOSes created in-house for a
    | specific system have long been popular, and now it's a primary motivating
    | factor in the adoption of Embedded Linux."
    |
    | The now completed survey results are said to include "expert analysis" from
    | Ann Thryft, a 20-year industry veteran. The report includes chapters on
    | platforms, processors, tools, languages, security, target devices, mobile
    | development, and of course, Linux.
    `----

    Another forgotten Fact of life:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
    `----

    http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

    Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

    Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ARM today announced that the total number of processors shipped by its
    | Partners has exceeded ten billion.
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A Nokia-sponsored project is porting Ubuntu Linux to the ARM architecture.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...rich-seam.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)

  5. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom

    wrote
    on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:19:35 -0400
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linux turns 17
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Free minix-like kernel sources for 386-AT, was the
    >>| subject of Linus Benedict Torvalds post to
    >>| comp.os.minix on October 5, 1991 -- seventeen
    >>| years ago today.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-turns-17

    > 17 years, and still only at 1% .
    >
    > Imagine that! A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
    > of Mordorsoft.
    >
    > Not only surviving... flourishing.

    It's not dead; I'll give it that (and I hope it never
    dies; AmigaOS is effectively out of the picture, for
    example). Also, Linux is rather popular with server and
    to a lesser extent mobiles (Symbian still being tops in
    that department).

    But Windows 95 had a far faster adoption rate, in 1995 or
    thereabouts. Of course it had a little help from MS-DOS.
    I'll admit to wondering as to Windows' rate of adoption
    in the 1985 timeframe, when it first came out.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  6. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
    >

    >> Imagine that! A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
    >> of Mordorsoft.
    >>
    >> Not only surviving... flourishing.

    > It's not dead; I'll give it that (and I hope it never
    > dies; AmigaOS is effectively out of the picture, for
    > example). Also, Linux is rather popular with server and
    > to a lesser extent mobiles (Symbian still being tops in
    > that department).
    >
    > But Windows 95 had a far faster adoption rate, in 1995 or
    > thereabouts. Of course it had a little help from MS-DOS.

    And from a marketing campaign blitz by Microsoft.

    > I'll admit to wondering as to Windows' rate of adoption
    > in the 1985 timeframe, when it first came out.

    Windows was pure crap until version 3. Right about when Microsoft stuck
    a shiv in IBM's back.

    --
    The essential ideas of Algol 68 were that the whole language should be
    precisely defined and that all the pieces should fit together smoothly.

  7. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom

    wrote
    on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:18:33 -0400
    :
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
    >>

    >>> Imagine that! A "hobbyist" project surviving 17 years under that shadow
    >>> of Mordorsoft.
    >>>
    >>> Not only surviving... flourishing.

    >> It's not dead; I'll give it that (and I hope it never
    >> dies; AmigaOS is effectively out of the picture, for
    >> example). Also, Linux is rather popular with server and
    >> to a lesser extent mobiles (Symbian still being tops in
    >> that department).
    >>
    >> But Windows 95 had a far faster adoption rate, in 1995 or
    >> thereabouts. Of course it had a little help from MS-DOS.

    > And from a marketing campaign blitz by Microsoft.

    Hmm...was that the flitty butterfly campaign? They run
    together after awhile. ;-) But you're right; they had
    to have oodles of marketing budget to spend on the song
    "Start Me Up (You Make a Grown Man Cry)"...

    What song would Linux adopt? An interesting question.
    I'm not sure I like the concept espoused in the last post
    at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179874 , funny
    as it otherwise is (it's the best I can do when searching
    for the Tux image stomping on the Redmond campus).

    Revenge is a dish best served cold.

    (Not that NT/XP's adoption rate in the server realm
    is anywhere near to warm, apparently, though Microsoft
    and GoDaddy have been playing some interesting tricks
    in that area.)

    >> I'll admit to wondering as to Windows' rate of adoption
    >> in the 1985 timeframe, when it first came out.

    > Windows was pure crap until version 3. Right about when
    > Microsoft stuck a shiv in IBM's back.

    Microsoft seems to have a lot of practice doing that:

    - That AARD code in the 3.10 beta, which was disabled
    (but not removed!) in the final product. This was
    apparently in 1991.

    - OS/who? Apparently the initial plan was for IBM
    and Microsoft to offer NT to the public, but
    Windows 3.0 took off like a rocket. Microsoft
    saw an opportunity and jumped, breaking away from
    IBM to take all the marbles for themselves.

    - Internet Exploder, erm, Explorer. 2 was horrid.
    3 was terrible. 4 was somewhat usable (better than
    Netscape, perhaps; I don't remember now), and usurped
    Netscape, which died, with Mozilla rising like a phoenix
    from the ashes -- or Godzilla from the waters of a
    conveniently-located bay, perhaps -- and now enjoying
    anything from a 15% to 30% browser share. Even
    Microsoft has abandoned its own browser:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mozil...E7-60864.shtml
    (Wow.)

    [For clarification purposes: apparently a shiv or chiv is
    an improvised knife or knife-like weapon; basically
    it's anything sufficiently pointy, from a cloth-wrapped
    glass shard, a razorblade in a toothbrush, a sharpened
    spoon handle, or even a filed-off section of a pork bone.
    Sounds very nasty, and of course shivs are popular among
    prison inmates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiv_%28weapon%29
    ]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because Windows' Blue Screen Of Death is just
    way too frightening to novice users.

  8. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > [For clarification purposes: apparently a shiv or chiv is
    > an improvised knife or knife-like weapon; basically
    > it's anything sufficiently pointy, from a cloth-wrapped
    > glass shard, a razorblade in a toothbrush, a sharpened
    > spoon handle, or even a filed-off section of a pork bone.
    > Sounds very nasty, and of course shivs are popular among
    > prison inmates.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiv_%28weapon%29

    Shank you very much!

    --
    World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced dress code!

  9. Re: [News] Linux Has A Birthday

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:35:45 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >> Microsoft also tried to bind the manufacturers with secrecy clauses.
    >> Nothing sinister in that, says Microsoft's lawyer William Neukom.
    >> [/quote]

    > Apt name for that lawyer.

    Yawwnnnn,.....

    Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.