Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse? - Linux

This is a discussion on Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse? - Linux ; I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware..... First off it takes forever to install. Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....

    First off it takes forever to install.
    Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.

    The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    Then after you are done, the update icon pops up so you click on it.
    Too bad....

    Now you have 700mb of updates to do and NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT THE SYSTEM
    IS DOING other than loading up Sysmon and looking at network traffic....

    Who are they kidding with this ****?

    And if that was not bad enough, even after you finish, 5 minutes later the
    dammed thing is telling you that you have security updates to do.
    Click again but this time no traffic?????
    Hmm..
    Is it doing anything?
    Who knows?
    Nobody...

    Then go into the package manager and search for Nvidia...
    Five minutes of waiting, with an icon telling you it's doing something else
    (hey maybe that's the security updates? who knows?) it finally segfaults.

    Ok so now go and try to mount a drive...
    it tells you something about "this message not to be shown in GUI" and of
    course it fails....

    That was all I could take of this POS....

    Thank God I backed up Ubuntu, with Acronis and a restore was 15 minutes
    away.

    Fedora is a POS......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    > an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....
    >
    > First off it takes forever to install.
    > Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.
    >
    > The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    > If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    > take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....
    >
    > Then after you are done, the update icon pops up so you click on it.
    > Too bad....
    >
    > Now you have 700mb of updates to do and NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT THE SYSTEM
    > IS DOING other than loading up Sysmon and looking at network traffic....
    >
    > Who are they kidding with this ****?
    >
    > And if that was not bad enough, even after you finish, 5 minutes later the
    > dammed thing is telling you that you have security updates to do.
    > Click again but this time no traffic?????
    > Hmm..
    > Is it doing anything?
    > Who knows?
    > Nobody...
    >
    > Then go into the package manager and search for Nvidia...
    > Five minutes of waiting, with an icon telling you it's doing something
    > else (hey maybe that's the security updates? who knows?) it finally
    > segfaults.
    >
    > Ok so now go and try to mount a drive...
    > it tells you something about "this message not to be shown in GUI" and of
    > course it fails....
    >
    > That was all I could take of this POS....
    >
    > Thank God I backed up Ubuntu, with Acronis and a restore was 15 minutes
    > away.
    >
    > Fedora is a POS......

    From the Fedora website,

    Who uses Fedora?

    * Linus Torvalds, the creator and primary maintainer of Linux does
    * NASA systems
    * Roadrunner, the number one Supercomputer in the world
    * Over a hundred derivative distributions including Red Hat Enterprise
    Linux and OLPC
    * Even some Robots do
    * Millions of other users

    As has been pointed out before Fedora is a testing distro and you install it
    at your own risk.

    I tried out Fedora 8 some time ago and yes, it is VERY keen on downloading
    updates at every opportunity, but that goes with the territory.

    I had it on my backup/development system for a couple of months and found it
    to be stable but my bandwidth took one hell of a pounding, so it had to go.
    Vector Linux is on there at present. Now, there is one stable distro!!

    --
    The years have been very kind to me.

    It's the weekends that have done all the damage!

  3. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 00:16:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    >an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....

    >First off it takes forever to install.
    >Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.

    >The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    >If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    >take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    Are you proud of lacking the skills to handle such an easy task?

  4. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >> Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    Ironic complaint, coming from a supporter of the Microshaft Corp...

  5. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:21:55 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >> mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    >Ironic complaint, coming from a supporter of the Microshaft Corp...

    Oh, my god, an installer that wants control. What's next? A day care
    center where the children are watched?

  6. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:51:37 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    >> an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....
    >>
    >> First off it takes forever to install.
    >> Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.
    >>
    >> The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    >> If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    >> take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....
    >>
    >> Then after you are done, the update icon pops up so you click on it.
    >> Too bad....
    >>
    >> Now you have 700mb of updates to do and NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT THE SYSTEM
    >> IS DOING other than loading up Sysmon and looking at network traffic....
    >>
    >> Who are they kidding with this ****?
    >>
    >> And if that was not bad enough, even after you finish, 5 minutes later the
    >> dammed thing is telling you that you have security updates to do.
    >> Click again but this time no traffic?????
    >> Hmm..
    >> Is it doing anything?
    >> Who knows?
    >> Nobody...
    >>
    >> Then go into the package manager and search for Nvidia...
    >> Five minutes of waiting, with an icon telling you it's doing something
    >> else (hey maybe that's the security updates? who knows?) it finally
    >> segfaults.
    >>
    >> Ok so now go and try to mount a drive...
    >> it tells you something about "this message not to be shown in GUI" and of
    >> course it fails....
    >>
    >> That was all I could take of this POS....
    >>
    >> Thank God I backed up Ubuntu, with Acronis and a restore was 15 minutes
    >> away.
    >>
    >> Fedora is a POS......
    >>

    > From the Fedora website,
    >
    > Who uses Fedora?
    >
    > * Linus Torvalds, the creator and primary maintainer of Linux does
    > * NASA systems
    > * Roadrunner, the number one Supercomputer in the world
    > * Over a hundred derivative distributions including Red Hat Enterprise
    > Linux and OLPC
    > * Even some Robots do
    > * Millions of other users
    >
    > As has been pointed out before Fedora is a testing distro and you install it
    > at your own risk.
    >
    > I tried out Fedora 8 some time ago and yes, it is VERY keen on downloading
    > updates at every opportunity, but that goes with the territory.
    >
    > I had it on my backup/development system for a couple of months and found it
    > to be stable but my bandwidth took one hell of a pounding, so it had to go.
    > Vector Linux is on there at present. Now, there is one stable distro!!

    Tactic #1: Blame the user.
    Tactic #2: Linux is testing, beta, alpha,development etc....

    It's not the downloading of updates that's the problem, it's the fact that
    there is nothing on the screen, or anywhere I can find where it shows you
    progress, how far along it is, what it is doing etc.

    You click update and it's gone from view while it updates.

    The other problem is after 700mb of updates, it comes up like 30 minutes
    later and tells me now I need a whole pile of security updates!

    Junk...
    Pure junk...

    Ubuntu blows the doors off of Fedora.
    So does OpenSuse.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:09:44 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 00:16:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    >>an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....

    >>First off it takes forever to install.
    >>Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.

    >>The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    >>If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    >>take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    > Are you proud of lacking the skills to handle such an easy task?

    Tactic #1: Blame the user.

    It was easy for me.
    It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:36:16 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>Ironic complaint, coming from a supporter of the Microshaft Corp...

    > Oh, my god, an installer that wants control. What's next? A day care
    > center where the children are watched?

    You never did post any proof of those millions of tmp files you somehow
    churned up under Windows Vista, did you AZNomad......

    We're still waiting on that one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:02:26 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:09:44 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 00:16:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    >>>an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....

    >>>First off it takes forever to install.
    >>>Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.

    >>>The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    >>>If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    >>>take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    >> Are you proud of lacking the skills to handle such an easy task?

    > Tactic #1: Blame the user.

    One hopes that Linux distros (or, more likely, KDE and
    Gnome) can provide a partitioner GUI that satisfies the
    following constraints.

    [1] It must be as intuitive to use as the Amiga's HDToolBox
    partitioner[*], with additional caveats (since the
    Amiga's was not designed to move existing data, merely
    edit partitions -- a distinction that will most likely be
    lost to the novice user, especially given the default "1
    piece to hold them all; 1 piece to bind them" partitioning
    scheme used on most desktops).

    The general idea of the Amiga's partitioning scheme was
    the ability to move blocks around (these blocks represent
    contiguous partition areas on disk). The blocks can also
    be resized therein; see below for some additional caveats
    on that issue.

    [2] Data must transparently move. This means that,
    say, if one moves a partition from cylinder 1 to 1000 to
    sit instead on cylinders 101 to 1100, the data must be
    shifted in an intelligent fashion. Note that, if another
    partition was sitting on 1001-1100, it needs to be moved
    out of the way; I'd suggest a "current/proposed" dual-bar
    system in the GUI to handle that issue in a nice fashion.
    The GUI would allow for a partition to move anywhere the
    user likes, with other partitions shifting as necessary.

    [3] Data must transparently resize. This is a far more
    difficult problem, since a resizer would have to ensure
    that all superblocks, bitmaps and inodes are properly
    adjusted. A resize is not impossible, of course;
    ntfsresize (sans GUI) has been doing it for some time.
    The resize, of course, must also be smart enough to
    ensure that there's enough space for the existing data,
    and disallow the resize while the user's still setting
    the size, if at all possible.

    [4] The process must be restartable if there is a
    power failure sometime during the data move.

    [5] Because of a quirk in the PC's partitioning scheme,
    the partitioners must know enough to handle the extended
    partition and the requisite logical drives properly.
    For other machines, similar quirks are also possible --
    SPARC in particular expects partition #3 to start at
    cylinder 0, if memory serves, for example.

    [6] Ideally, the partitioner would know about the FreeBSD
    partition scheme (which basically has partitions, and then
    segments within partitions -- I don't know the precise
    terminology) as well.

    [7] The partitioner would know about the more common
    bootloaders (including NTLDR!) and modify their parameters
    appropriately. Ideally, this includes moving and resizing
    the /boot partition [+] that GRUB likes (I'm assuming
    that GRUB upon installation throws something in the boot
    block(s) that tells it where /boot is). LILO, NTLDR,
    and on other hardware things like SILO and MILO would
    also be adjusted.

    [8] Ideally, the partitioner would be PxE-bootable,
    as well as auto-invokable from a CD-ROM or DVD, for
    specialized applications.

    [9] It would be nice to be able to back up using .tar,
    ..tar.gz, .tar.bz2, or .zip options, a partition's data.
    The backup would be streamed to a CIFS/SMB storage utility
    (SAMBA client, basically -- blecch, but most businesses
    will have such, and at least with archiving formats
    one won't have to worry about the 'blah' versus 'Blah'
    versus 'BLAH' naming issue), to a NFS storage facility,
    to an FTP upload area, or to a remote tape drive, if such
    still exist. A less attractive possibility would be a
    physical backup, generating a partition image.

    [10] Last but certainly not least, it should be
    either GPL or LGPL.

    Boiled down, this partitioning utility should be intuitive,
    multi-OS, intelligent, idiot-proof, and as data-protective
    as possible. Of course, as someone pointed out long
    ago, it's rather difficult to make any tool completely
    idiot-proof, as idiots are highly ingenious. ;-) Plus,
    there are issues if one is upgrading file formats --
    the one coming to mind is reiserfs rolling from 3 to 4,
    for example, though ext3 has also rolled in the past
    (it's been awhile) and NTFS might be adjusted on occasion
    as well, though because NTFS is non-standard one gets
    into mildly interesting territory.

    - - -
    [*] Some examples of proper usage for
    a dualboot Amiga system might be found at
    http://www.amigau.com/amigarealm/lin...Disk-prep.html
    which includes some window captures of the GUI in action.
    It's a bit thin demonstration-wise, and the GUI itself is
    rather blue-gray boring except for the actual partition
    screen which shows a horizontal subdivided stripe,
    one block of which is black -- the current partition
    being edited by the HDToolBox. (Note that one needs
    a specialized partitioning utility for Amiga disks;
    Commodore's partitioning scheme is vastly different from
    the common PC's.)

    Some pictures for the MacOSX partition utility are at
    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ing_tiger.html .
    This is not quite as elegant as Amiga's, mostly because
    of that silly drop down menu that says "1 partition",
    "2 partitions", "3 partitions", etc.; the Amiga allows
    one to freely create a new partition with the click of a
    button, assuming sufficient unpartitioned disk space.

    [+] The name /boot is a convention only.

    > It was easy for me.
    > It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    That's part of the problem; a new GUI partition should at
    least have the smarts to warn the user about dangerous
    operations, and require his acknowledgement. One might
    also contemplate an "expert mode" where such warnings are
    toned down, perhaps.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  10. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:02:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:09:44 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 00:16:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>I just made the mistake of trying out Fedora 9 and let's just say it gives
    >>>an entirely new meaning to Linux slopware.....

    >>>First off it takes forever to install.
    >>>Almost an hour on the same machine that Ubuntu takes 30 minutes.

    >>>The partitioning scheme is a complete joke.
    >>>If you have multiple drives in your system you WILL destroy them if you
    >>>take the defaults as Fedora likes to control EVERYTHING....

    >> Are you proud of lacking the skills to handle such an easy task?

    >Tactic #1: Blame the user.

    No. I'm blaming you for being a blithering idiot.

    >It was easy for me.

    Obviously it wasn't if you feel a need to whine about it.

    >It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

  11. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:59:43 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:02:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Are you proud of lacking the skills to handle such an easy task?

    >>Tactic #1: Blame the user.

    > No. I'm blaming you for being a blithering idiot.
    >

    >>It was easy for me.

    > Obviously it wasn't if you feel a need to whine about it.

    I'm trying to warn people to be careful.

    >>It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    > Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    I was using Linux while you were still in diapers.

    BTW AZNomad.....

    We are still waiting for you to provide evidence to back up your claim of
    the millions of tmp files under Vista.

    You seem to have slithered away from that bogus claim when asked for some
    evidence.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >>It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    >Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    Is the mentally-ill troll claiming that using Windows to partition
    multiple drives is fool-proof for "noobs"?

    If not, I guess that would make Windows "slopware" as well.

    Fsck, these trolls never tire of making jackasses ofthemselves.

  13. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Oct 6, 11:49 am, chrisv wrote:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:
    > > mentally-ill troll wrote:

    > >>It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    > >Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    > Is the mentally-ill troll claiming that using Windows to partition
    > multiple drives is fool-proof for "noobs"?
    >
    > If not, I guess that would make Windows "slopware" as well.

    Hmmmm. Linux is amature slopware. So, if you want really
    professional quality slopware, you will have to go with Windows.

    > Fsck, these trolls never tire of making jackasses ofthemselves.

  14. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:59 -0400
    <1j995wqddutov$.1xitrijl5hucj.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:59:43 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>>Tactic #1: Blame the user.

    >> No. I'm blaming you for being a blithering idiot.
    >>

    >>>It was easy for me.

    >> Obviously it wasn't if you feel a need to whine about it.

    > I'm trying to warn people to be careful.

    Why? Just use Vista on one partition, and you're all set.

    :-)

    No need to complicate things with all that
    multipartitioning dualbooting mumbo-jumbo, adjusting
    partition boundaries in a complicated text-based program,
    $ ./configure && make && make install && whatever,
    or figuring out what settings to use in a non-Windows
    bootloader. Just use the preinstalled Vista, and remember
    to load up a few antivirus programs (the ones that still
    work, anyway) thereon for a fun-filled, problem-free
    experience (FSVO -- whoops, need to defrag again).

    And don't forget Office 2007, for even more capability
    (not to mention payment to Microsoft) on one's system.
    Since Office 2007 uses absolutely standard (FSVO)
    file formats, one is guaranteed to be able to transmit
    files to one's fellow cubemates -- unless they've not
    upgraded yet, but that's their problem, right?

    >>>It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    >> Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    > I was using Linux while you were still in diapers.

    TAMU, SLS or MCC? ;-) Or perhaps you frequented Yggdrasil?

    (Me, I went through SLS, then migrated to RedHat, Debian,
    and finally Gentoo. I still have the RedHat 5.2 install
    disc somewhere.)

    > BTW AZNomad.....
    >
    > We are still waiting for you to provide evidence to back up your claim of
    > the millions of tmp files under Vista.

    The claim presumably was that a single user's system had
    these millions of tmp file, assuming this was a verifiable
    claim at all. I frankly don't know.

    Of course, one can easily generate millions of stupid little
    files using Python, Perl, or C/C++, with something along
    the lines of

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    for($i=0;$i<10000000;$i++)
    {
    open(F,">file$i.dum");
    print F "Dummy file $i\n";
    close(F);
    print $i,"\n" if ($i % 10000 == 0);
    }

    Guaranteed to create lots of stupid little files in one's
    current directory -- and yes, Perl runs on Windows, though
    I don't know if a specifically Vista version has been
    made available.

    If one includes file cache as temporary files, one might
    have created a number of such files in the course of many
    days of web browsing -- sorry, Internet exploring.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

  15. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, unionpenny@gmail.com

    wrote
    on Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
    <0dc38bb9-aee8-4e96-be05-81091fd0bbb8@v13g2000pro.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Oct 6, 11:49 am, chrisv wrote:
    >> AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> >Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    >> Is the mentally-ill troll claiming that using Windows to partition
    >> multiple drives is fool-proof for "noobs"?
    >>
    >> If not, I guess that would make Windows "slopware" as well.

    > Hmmmm. Linux is amature slopware. So, if you want really
    > professional quality slopware, you will have to go with Windows.

    Indeed...especially since one has the additional
    advantages[*] of going with Windows:

    [1] The user has to pay [+] for it.

    [2] The developer has a timeline to make, which means that
    on occasion technology has to be chopped out of the product.

    To be fair, I highly doubt many people partition drives
    anyway; they just use the machine until it gets way too
    slow and infested, and buy a new one. Such a deal! :-P
    Especially since some of the slowdown is easily mitigated
    by dedicating a partition solely for PAGEFILE.SYS (the
    rough equivalent of a swap partition for Linux).

    >> Fsck, these trolls never tire of making jackasses ofthemselves.

    [*] FSVO.

    [+] FSVO; in a soft market the OEM might eat most of the
    licensing cost, and the user does not see the amount he
    has to pay extra unless the OEM chooses to make that cost
    more or less public. For example, some Dell desktops offer
    a choice of operating systems, and the *difference* in cost
    (as the user sees it) can be readily seen; for servers, one
    might see a "no OS" option.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

  16. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    unionpenny@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hmmmm.

    *plonk*

  17. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:59 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:59:43 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    >> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:02:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>>It's very dangerous for a noob though.

    >> Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    >I was using Linux while you were still in diapers.

    Linux wasn't around when I finished my fifteenth year in the industry,
    yet you're still in diapers.

    Grow the **** up.

  18. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AZ Nomad

    wrote
    on Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:46:27 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:59 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    >>I was using Linux while you were still in diapers.

    > Linux wasn't around when I finished my fifteenth year in the industry,
    > yet you're still in diapers.
    >
    > Grow the **** up.

    Hmm...maybe he's confusing Linux with Unix? :-)
    But even then, his argument doesn't quite work,
    given this datum.

    If you started in the industry in 1976, assuming for the
    sake of argument an age of 22 (4 year degree), that gives
    a birthyear of 1954 (7-8 years older than me :-) ),
    diapers 1954-1956 or thereabouts, and clearly even MULTICS
    wasn't around in that era: CTSS apparently was first
    demonstrated in 1961.

    http://www.multicians.org/site-timeline.html

    You'd be playing
    basketball/baseball/football/hockey/
    well before Unix was an idea cavorting around in Bell Labs
    in 1969.

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

  19. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:46:27 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:59 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Like you? You're dumber than the average noob.

    >>I was using Linux while you were still in diapers.

    > Linux wasn't around when I finished my fifteenth year in the industry,
    > yet you're still in diapers.
    >
    > Grow the **** up.

    Tsk tsk...

    Children always resort to vulgarities when they get cornered.

    Now run along like a good little boy and locate that screen shot of your
    millions of Vista tmp files.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  20. Re: Fedora 9...Can Linux get any Worse?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > unionpenny@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Hmmmm. Linux is amature slopware. So, if you want really
    >> professional quality slopware, you will have to go with Windows.

    >Indeed...

    *unplonk* unionpenny.

    Sorry, I stopped reading past "Linux is amature slopware" the first
    time...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast