Closure of 'Halo Wars' developer shocking

,----[ Quote ]
| It's hard to believe that any developer making a game based on Halo could be
| shut down for financial reasons, but that's the fate awaiting Dallas-based
| Ensemble Studios.
`----

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.270dd46.html

"I feel we are much too smug in dealing with Novell. Perhaps they didn’t hurt
us in DOS yet — but it’s not because of product or their trying. It’s because
we already had the OEMs wrapped up."

--Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Recent:

Microsoft Slaps PC Gamers, Decides to Close Ensemble Studios

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite its legacy of producing some of the very finest strategy games with
| its Age of Empire and Age of Mythology series, Microsoft decided that it
| would be financially disadvantageous to continue to operate the wholly-owned
| Ensemble Studios.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mic...ires,6343.html

Microsoft shuts down Ensemble Studios

http://www.techspot.com/news/31575-m...e-studios.html

Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
| and academic works for Live Search
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...wn-book-search

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

MSN Music Debacle Highlights EULA Dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| MSN Music’s EULA is a case in point. When active, MSN Music's webpage touted
| that customers could “choose their device and know its going to work”.
|
| But when customers went to purchase songs, they were shown legalese that
| stated the download service and the content provided were sold without
| warrantee. In other words, Microsoft doesn't promise you that the service or
| the music will work, or that you will always have access to music you bought.
| The flashy advertising promised your music, your way, but the fine print
| said, our way or the highway.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05...s-eula-dangers

When DRM detonates your music collection

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3898784.ece