[News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years - Linux ; Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista ,----[ Quote ] | More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology | are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista, | according to the 'reality ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

  1. [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    | are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    | according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif),
    | seen exclusively by silicon.com.
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...lobal+business

    Wow. Vista *is* a success. Cannibalising XP at the rate of 0.2% per month in UK
    commerce (Microsoft-receptive market).

    What a disaster.

    Recent:

    Linux Market to Triple by 2012

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Analyst firm Research and Markets has just put out a project on Linux-based
    | server and client hardware sales, and is projecting that the market will more
    | than triple between 2007 and 2012. Â*
    |
    | A market for a platform is not the same as an ecosystem for it, which is much
    | larger in that it includes the cost of people and third-party software and
    | services for the code that runs atop the platform. So the R&M Linux market
    | numbers might seem a little small. In any event, the consultancy pegged the
    | Linux product and services market for Linux running on servers and clients
    | (but not embedded systems) at $2.4 billion in 2007. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

    Related:

    2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
    | device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
    | the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
    | mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
    | countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
    | Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
    | for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
    `----

    http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn...7/05/15/249978

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    >| are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    >| according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif),
    >| seen exclusively by silicon.com.

    Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    > | are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    > | according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum
    > (Tif),
    > | seen exclusively by silicon.com.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...lobal+business
    >
    > Wow. Vista *is* a success. Cannibalising XP at the rate of 0.2% per month
    > in UK
    > commerce (Microsoft-receptive market).

    4%? That's a lot more than I would have thought. I've never met anyone who
    uses Vista as their primary business operating system. And the ones that did
    probably downgraded to XP or switched to Linux / Apple.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft
    >>> technology are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just
    >>> four per cent for Vista, according to the 'reality
    >>> checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif), seen
    >>> exclusively by silicon.com.

    > Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

    In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in
    March 2002 was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.

    Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to
    view Microsoft mandated software content, discounting that US
    hits are 41%, heavily skewing results toward Windows. In reality
    it is higher, about 12% to 13% and growing. Current market share
    methodologies do not accurately measure installed base.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:50:06 +0200, Dale Harris wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    >>| are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    >>| according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum
    >> (Tif),
    >>| seen exclusively by silicon.com.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...lobal+business
    >>
    >> Wow. Vista *is* a success. Cannibalising XP at the rate of 0.2% per month
    >> in UK
    >> commerce (Microsoft-receptive market).

    > 4%? That's a lot more than I would have thought. I've never met anyone who
    > uses Vista as their primary business operating system. And the ones that did
    > probably downgraded to XP or switched to Linux / Apple.

    Business has always been slow to change operating systems because it
    becomes a major ordeal which gets expensive.

    The same thing happened with XP.
    Many businesses are still running Windows 2000, especially for servers.

    The thing wil XP though was that as a desktop system it was a major change
    from Windows 98 where as Vista is NOT a major change from Windows XP.

    I see people moving to Mac but I don't see movement toward Linux at all.
    At least not as a desktop system.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >
    > In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    > was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >
    > Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    > Microsoft mandated software content,

    I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.

    > discounting that US hits are 41%,

    I guess you mean 4.1%.

    > heavily skewing results toward Windows. In reality it is higher, about
    > 12% to 13%

    That sounds crazy. Really I think it is against common sense. How did
    you come up with that?

    > and growing.

    I am with you there. Approximately doubled in the past year, I'd say.

    > Current market share methodologies do not
    > accurately measure installed base.

    I think web-hit stats would be the best measure, but I don't know that
    we have access to trustworthy stats.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >
    > In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in
    > March 2002 was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.

    Where's Hadron "the Corrector" Quark?

    > Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to
    > view Microsoft mandated software content, discounting that US
    > hits are 41%, heavily skewing results toward Windows. In reality
    > it is higher, about 12% to 13% and growing. Current market share
    > methodologies do not accurately measure installed base.

    One can quibble about the numbers, but the rise of Linux, if slow, is
    inexorable.

    --
    Keep out of reach of children.

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>
    >> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    >> was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>
    >> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    >> Microsoft mandated software content,

    > I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    > don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.

    Somebody just posted one somewhere about att.com doing that (requiring
    IE). I verified it. Luckily, their "home" and "support" pages
    aren't so stupid.

    > I think web-hit stats would be the best measure, but I don't know that
    > we have access to trustworthy stats.

    We don't.

    --
    A good supervisor can step on your toes without messing up your shine.

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Matt wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >> heavily skewing results toward Windows. In reality it is higher,
    >> about 12% to 13%

    > That sounds crazy. Really I think it is against common sense. How
    > did you come up with that?

    He stuck his thumb in his fat ass and waved it in the air and 12% came
    spewing out of his fat mouth.

    >> and growing.

    > I am with you there. Approximately doubled in the past year, I'd say.

    From 0.46% to 0.93%.

    Let us know the first time you see a person using Linux on a laptop in
    public. I'm very confident you've never seen such a thing, and you most
    likely never will.

    >> Current market share methodologies do not
    >> accurately measure installed base.

    It can't be measured accurately. It can only be estimated.

    > I think web-hit stats would be the best measure, but I don't know that
    > we have access to trustworthy stats.

    marketshare.hitslink.com

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>>
    >>> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    >>> was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>>
    >>> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    >>> Microsoft mandated software content,

    >> I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    >> don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.

    > Somebody just posted one somewhere about att.com doing that (requiring
    > IE). I verified it. Luckily, their "home" and "support" pages
    > aren't so stupid.

    http://www.dwsadmin.com/

    *Internet Explorer Required*

    You have been redirected to this page because the application you
    attempted to access has been designed to work with Microsoft's
    Internet Explorer.

    The application will not function properly with any other
    browser, so requests for exceptions cannot be granted.

    If you do not have Internet Explorer, it can be downloaded for
    free from Microsoft's Web Site at http://www.microsoft.com.
    http://www.incrediblecharts.com/help...t_explorer.php

    *Troubleshooting*

    *Internet Explorer required*

    IncredibleCharts uses wininet.dll which is distributed with
    Internet Explorer.

    1. Check that you have Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 or
    later. If not, download the latest version
    2. Configure your Trusted Sites
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...c=news_ts_head

    or http://tinyurl.com/4xwh5v

    Microsoft limits new search reward program to IE

    Required toolbar 'phones home' some user search data back to
    Microsoft
    By Gregg Keizer

    October 1, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. today launched a
    rewards program to entice consumers to its Live Search site, but
    it requires Internet Explorer and bars users of rival browsers,
    including Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome.
    http://www.kellerkin.com/netscape.htm

    Microsoft Internet Explorer is required to view
    KellerKin.com.
    http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=15207

    *Other Requirements: IE required for downloading*

    Although you can use any browser to surf the web, you'll need to
    have Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) to install and run Picasa.

    Functions in Picasa that call for a browser, such as emailing or
    blogging photos, will open your default browser. If you're using
    Firefox, Opera, or another default browser, Picasa may still read
    some of the settings you have in IE, such as your proxy or
    connection settings for these functions.
    http://www.mb.jhu.edu/mediaarchive.asp

    *The Bodian Seminar Media Archive*

    9/22/2003 *Peter N. Steinmetz, MD, PhD*

    Assistant Professor, Brain Modeling Laboratory, Dept of
    Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota

    *Attentional shift abolishes response selectivity of single*
    *neurons in the human hippocampus but not in the amygdala*

    To view in Web Browser _Click Here_ (Internet Explorer required)
    ..... and ad nauseum.

    >> I think web-hit stats would be the best measure, but I don't know that
    >> we have access to trustworthy stats.

    > We don't.

    Web-hit stats may indicate trends, but they do not give the whole
    picture. US has a 41% hit presence on W3 Schools. Other
    locations in the world do not have the infrastructure in place
    and the resources to have unlimited internet access. It is these
    other countries that have a higher Linux and BSD Free presence.

    Also, the educational sector and business sector in general don't
    freely browse the internet. For accuracy, those would have to be
    entered into the equation.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Matt wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> discounting that US hits are 41%,

    > I guess you mean 4.1%.

    http://www.w3schools.com/about/about_pagehits.asp

    Percent Origin
    42.1% United States
    10.1% India
    8.0% United Kingdom
    4.7% Canada
    2.5% Netherlands
    2.3% Australia
    2.0% Germany
    1.7% Sweden
    1.7% France
    1.4% Spain
    1.3% Italy
    1.3% Singapore
    1.2% Brazil
    1.1% Philippines
    1.1% Hong Kong
    1.0% Poland
    0.9% Malaysia
    0.9% Finland
    0.9% China
    0.9% Belgium
    0.9% Israel
    0.8% Romania
    0.8% Norway
    0.8% Denmark
    0.8% South Africa
    0.6% Turkey
    0.6% Taiwan
    0.6% Portugal
    0.6% Japan
    0.5% Hungary
    0.5% Thailand
    0.5% Switzerland
    0.4% Pakistan
    0.4% Vietnam
    0.4% Ireland
    0.4% Russian Fed
    0.4% Mexico
    0.4% Czech
    0.3% Indonesia
    0.3% Egypt
    0.3% Greece
    0.3% Bulgaria
    0.3% Slovenia
    0.3% Korea Rep
    0.3% Austria
    0.3% New Zealand
    0.2% Iran
    0.2% Yugoslavia
    0.2% Slovakia

    >> heavily skewing results toward Windows. In reality it is
    >> higher, about 12% to 13%

    > That sounds crazy. Really I think it is against common sense.
    > How did you come up with that?

    No, if you think about it, outside US, the educational and
    business sectors are more Linux friendly than US. Even in US,
    Linux deployments do not often make mainline news because of the
    lack of paid for advertising, which Linux does not need.
    Following are news leaks:

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7386/469

    EU: Schools increase use of Open Source
    Open Source News - 26 February 2008 - EU and Europe-wide - General

    Schools using GNU/Linux or other Open Source systems for desktop
    PCs are no longer rare, though in many countries their numbers
    are very low. Not so in India, Macedonia, the Philippines, Russia
    and Turkey, where hundreds of thousands of pupils are becoming
    familiar with Open Source.

    This type of software will become more prominent in education,
    expects Datamonitor, a research firm. In a report published last
    month it predicts that spending on Open Source software,
    including maintenance and services, by the education sector
    globally will reach $489.9 million by 2012, compared to $286.2
    million today.

    [....]

    However popular these laptops may become, the number of Western
    European classrooms were Open Source software is being used
    daily, is dwarfed by those in countries like Macedonia, Turkey
    and Russia.

    In Macedonia, a 180.000 PCs running the GNU/Linux distribution
    Ubuntu are being deployed in schools across the country. In
    Turkey all students aged 11 and 12 will find Open Source on their
    schools PCs as an option next to Microsoft Windows. And in
    Russia, the government last year decided to migrate all schools
    to GNU/Linux, a move that should be completed by 2009.
    Such a threat to the Microsoft Corporation it is, that Chairman
    Gates with his little Redmond book made the following statement:

    The increasing popularity of Open Source is one possible reason
    for Microsoft chairman Bill Gates' recent announcement in Davos
    to increase the companies' activities in the education market.
    "Over the next three years we want to double the number of
    students we get to and the number of teachers we get to, to
    address the opportunity there."
    Imagine that, 180,000 PC's, all with Linux installed. This is
    just one country, but then there are others.

    No wonder why Venezuela's Banco Mercantil and Northern California
    Windsor School District have decided on Linux and Open Source,
    along with all these (Linux deployment sampler, incomplete):

    20,000 Singapore Ministry of Defence
    3,500,000 India
    80,000 Extremadura, Spain
    80,000 Générale des Impôts, France
    62,000 Ministry of Equipment, France
    1,154 Parliament, France
    4,000 Federal Public Justice Service, Belgium
    600 Central Bank, Turkey
    300 Scientific and Technological Research Council, Turkey
    1,000 Ministry of Water Resources, Turkey
    300 Istanbul City Health Directorate, Turkey
    12,000 Lower Saxony Tax Authority, Germany
    150 Ministry of Finance, Macedonia
    10,000 Department of Justice, Finland
    1,500 Metropolitan Court, Budapest, Hungary
    58,000 Berlin, Germany
    400 Largo City Offices, Florida
    14,000 Post Office, Brazil
    32,000 Government, Brazil
    2,205 North West Province Schools, South Africa
    15,000 Ministry of Education, Portugal
    20,000 Indianna Department of Education, US
    5,000 Macedonia Schools

    Here is something said of Windsor:

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...e/0,289142,sid...

    or http://tinyurl.com/5p5x5o

    The new setup also allows for better remote management. "[With
    Windows] we had spent half our time driving around; we had to
    touch every machine," Carver said. In a school system like
    Windsor, all that driving was costing an already strapped IT
    department too many resources.

    Carver said it cost the district about $2,500 per school to
    migrate to Linux, compared with the estimated $100,000 it would
    have cost to upgrade their Windows infrastructure. In addition,
    buying more Microsoft Office licenses would have cost the
    district $100 per license, she said, whereas OpenOffice was free.

    Linux as a learning tool

    Ultimately, moving to Linux has enabled the Windsor School
    District to build out technology capabilities that wouldn't have
    been possible with Windows.

    "[The students] are able to do more because Linux cost less,"
    Carver said. "Our new computer lab [at Brooks] was set to cost
    $35,000 and ended up costing us $16,000 with Linux [on thin
    clients]."

    And the kids love it too. "The kids think Linux is cool because
    it's new, but what they're really doing is stepping into the 21st
    century," Carver said.
    $2,500 per school to migrate to Linux versus $100,000 per school
    to upgrade Windows. It is not hard to do the math. OpenOffice
    or commercial variant StarOffice meets most office automation
    needs. It reads Office 2003 files and imports them. No one
    wants Office 2007 formats, since they are even incompatible with
    earlier Office variants.

    Even the "hotest" market has opted for Linux:

    http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/16/...ux-deployment/

    or http://tinyurl.com/3tfrkr

    Found: The World’s Hottest Ubuntu Linux Deployment
    Sep. 16th, 2008 by The VAR Guy

    T & A Lingerie Runs Ubuntu LinuxThe VAR Guy is blushing. Earlier
    this evening he was researching companies that run Ubuntu Linux
    on servers and desktops. Soon, he stumbled across an intriguing
    Ubuntu case study involving a company called T & A Lingerie.
    That’s when the fun started... [...]

    Intimate Details

    The VAR Guy did some fact-checking. First, he investigated the T
    & A Lingerie site. (Hey, it’s a work assignment…). Then, he
    checked in with T & A Lingerie Operations Manager Gary Martin.
    “Are you really running Ubuntu?” The VAR Guy asked in an email to
    Martin.

    A few minutes later, Martin’s reply hit The VAR Guy’s inbox:
    “Thank you for your inquiry,” Martin wrote. “Yes we are running
    Ubuntu 8.04 and we love it. We have been free of Microsoft
    Windows XP Professional for two years now.”
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    >>| are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    >>| according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum
    >>| (Tif), seen exclusively by silicon.com.

    > Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    You merely have to prove that with any approved statistic.

    Since we know you can't you may as well accept Linux has
    higher market share than you claim.

    Micoshaft makes use of unapproved false statistics
    in its SEC filings. I'm surprised no investor has sued.
    Even PISTA sales are not genuine. They are copies shipped
    to vendors gathering dust in warehouses; not actual copies sold by vendors.

    Linux now sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    Some 270 billion dollars in annual figures.
    If it weren't for Linux, the electronics high street market
    would not exist today.
    Everything from flat TVs, DVD players, routers, satnavs, to MP3 players and
    set top boxes contains Linux.
    More reasons for product line managers to specify Linux
    in all their products and create new products with Linux to get more
    benefits out of Linux.

    And Desktop Linux expanding at the rate of at least 1 million new installs
    per week.

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > 20,000 Singapore Ministry of Defence
    > 3,500,000 India
    > 80,000 Extremadura, Spain
    > 80,000 Générale des Impôts, France
    > 62,000 Ministry of Equipment, France
    > 1,154 Parliament, France
    > 4,000 Federal Public Justice Service, Belgium
    > 600 Central Bank, Turkey
    > 300 Scientific and Technological Research Council, Turkey
    > 1,000 Ministry of Water Resources, Turkey
    > 300 Istanbul City Health Directorate, Turkey
    > 12,000 Lower Saxony Tax Authority, Germany
    > 150 Ministry of Finance, Macedonia
    > 10,000 Department of Justice, Finland
    > 1,500 Metropolitan Court, Budapest, Hungary
    > 58,000 Berlin, Germany
    > 400 Largo City Offices, Florida
    > 14,000 Post Office, Brazil
    > 32,000 Government, Brazil
    > 2,205 North West Province Schools, South Africa
    > 15,000 Ministry of Education, Portugal
    > 20,000 Indianna Department of Education, US
    > 5,000 Macedonia Schools

    Where does this list come from?

    By the way, San Diego Unified School District should be on the list but
    isn't.

  14. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > 58,000 Berlin, Germany

    Here is what I found about that:

    http://www.heise.de/english/Berlin-s...ker/news/90026

    > 22.05.2007 12:06
    > Berlin's IT industry demands open systems

    > The issue has come to the forefront again because the Berlin Senate continues to show skepticism about a complete migration to open software even though the Senate has called for the German capital's IT landscape to be migrated to Linux and open source programs, including the approximately 58,000 workstations in central administration. Wolhrab says that the Senators are not following their own principles for open systems.

    .... which is to say that I didn't find anything about it actually coming
    true---only that it was proposed.

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:59:02 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Matt wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> heavily skewing results toward Windows. In reality it is higher,
    >>> about 12% to 13%

    >> That sounds crazy. Really I think it is against common sense. How
    >> did you come up with that?

    > He stuck his thumb in his fat ass and waved it in the air and 12% came
    > spewing out of his fat mouth.

    Hard to believe he had room in there........

    >>> and growing.

    >> I am with you there. Approximately doubled in the past year, I'd say.

    > From 0.46% to 0.93%.
    >
    > Let us know the first time you see a person using Linux on a laptop in
    > public. I'm very confident you've never seen such a thing, and you most
    > likely never will.

    I travel a lot and I can't remeber ever seeing a single person using Linux.
    Maybe once?

    And I do look.

    BTW I am heading down your way in November...
    How's the gas crunch?
    Last time I was there it was the water crunch...

    >>> Current market share methodologies do not
    >>> accurately measure installed base.

    > It can't be measured accurately. It can only be estimated.

    And coincidently most of the measurements come up with almost the same
    numbers.
    They all can't be wrong.

    >> I think web-hit stats would be the best measure, but I don't know that
    >> we have access to trustworthy stats.

    > marketshare.hitslink.com

    That's one.
    I think the BBC stats are also valid, and maybe even high because of the
    Linux loons flooding the sites when they learned Linux would not be
    supported.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:20:30 -0500, Matt wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> 58,000 Berlin, Germany

    > Here is what I found about that:
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/english/Berlin-s...ker/news/90026
    >
    >> 22.05.2007 12:06
    >> Berlin's IT industry demands open systems

    >> The issue has come to the forefront again because the Berlin Senate continues to show skepticism about a complete migration to open software even though the Senate has called for the German capital's IT landscape to be migrated to Linux and open source programs, including the approximately 58,000 workstations in central administration. Wolhrab says that the Senators are not following their own principles for open systems.

    > ... which is to say that I didn't find anything about it actually coming
    > true---only that it was proposed.

    Typical for the Linux community......

    Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

    Hopefully Berlin talks to Munich which is a total joke of a Windows to
    Linux migration.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    7 wrote:

    > You merely have to prove that with any approved statistic.
    >
    > Since we know you can't you may as well accept Linux has
    > higher market share than you claim.

    Sez who, moron?

    The only reasonable estimates are hits on non-techie, general interest
    websites, such as those tracked by marketshare.hitslink.com and
    www.bbc.co.uk, both of which put Linux below 1%. And that's about as much
    as it deserves, given the kualitee of the software.

    > Micoshaft makes use of unapproved false statistics
    > in its SEC filings. I'm surprised no investor has sued.
    > Even PISTA sales are not genuine. They are copies shipped
    > to vendors gathering dust in warehouses; not actual copies sold by
    > vendors.

    marketshare.hitslink.com puts Vista just below 20%

    > Linux now sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    > Some 270 billion dollars in annual figures.
    > If it weren't for Linux, the electronics high street market
    > would not exist today.
    > Everything from flat TVs, DVD players, routers, satnavs, to MP3
    > players and set top boxes contains Linux.

    Prove it. Where's your press releases and your "approved statistics"?

    You're the 2nd most lame liar on cola (Rex Ballard is first of course).
    Neither he nor you can ever prove your silly assertions.

    > More reasons for product line managers to specify Linux
    > in all their products and create new products with Linux to get more
    > benefits out of Linux.

    When are you going to make your living with Linux? It's so great and all -
    and there are definitely Linux jobs to be found - so what's stopping you?

    > And Desktop Linux expanding at the rate of at least 1 million new
    > installs per week.

    Minus ~million new uninstalls per week, resulting in a little-changing
    installed base.

    Signed, 7
    Lifelong Windows Developer
    Pretend Linux "Advocate"
    Obsessive Freeloader
    Failed Promoter Of Proprietary, Patented Schemes
    All Around Fraud And Hypocrite

  18. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    ____/ 7 on Sunday 05 October 2008 21:38 : \____

    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >

    >> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    > You merely have to prove that with any approved statistic.

    Desktop (from the horse's proxy mouth):

    Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    | of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    | computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says.
    `---- ^^^^^^^^

    http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    Server (from the horse's mouth):

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | work to do."
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

    HPC (exhaustive analysis by Top500):

    Linux still super in Top500

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...per-in-top500/

    > Since we know you can't you may as well accept Linux has
    > higher market share than you claim.
    >

    > Micoshaft makes use of unapproved false statistics
    > in its SEC filings. I'm surprised no investor has sued.
    > Even PISTA sales are not genuine. They are copies shipped
    > to vendors gathering dust in warehouses; not actual copies sold by vendors.
    >
    > Linux now sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.
    > Some 270 billion dollars in annual figures.

    Embedded:

    Embedded Linux research report ships

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    > If it weren't for Linux, the electronics high street market
    > would not exist today.
    > Everything from flat TVs, DVD players, routers, satnavs, to MP3 players and
    > set top boxes contains Linux.
    > More reasons for product line managers to specify Linux
    > in all their products and create new products with Linux to get more
    > benefits out of Linux.
    >
    > And Desktop Linux expanding at the rate of at least 1 million new installs
    > per week.

    'Desktops' are a fractions of the computing devices out there.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Around 98% of the world's CPUs manufactured are used in embedded systems.
    `----

    http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132

    Also to consider:

    Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

    Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ARM today announced that the total number of processors shipped by its
    | Partners has exceeded ten billion.
    | Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A Nokia-sponsored project is porting Ubuntu Linux to the ARM architecture.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...rich-seam.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    This sedentary lifestyle on the Net leads to fatigue. And then you wake up.
    00:00:01 up 18 days, 7:39, 2 users, load average: 11.06, 11.90, 12.17

  19. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > BTW I am heading down your way in November...
    > How's the gas crunch?
    > Last time I was there it was the water crunch...

    Over the last couple weeks, I'd say at 25% of stations have no gas at any
    given time, so no real hardship. Prices are $3.80 to $4.00 for regular
    unleaded.

    As far as I know we (Gwinnett County) are still under an outdoor watering
    ban.

    Plenty of beer down here, though! I'm having a Tsingtao Lager later
    tonight.

  20. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:09:18 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> BTW I am heading down your way in November...
    >> How's the gas crunch?
    >> Last time I was there it was the water crunch...

    > Over the last couple weeks, I'd say at 25% of stations have no gas at any
    > given time, so no real hardship. Prices are $3.80 to $4.00 for regular
    > unleaded.
    >
    > As far as I know we (Gwinnett County) are still under an outdoor watering
    > ban.
    >
    > Plenty of beer down here, though! I'm having a Tsingtao Lager later
    > tonight.

    email me....