[News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years - Linux ; On Oct 5, 5:38*pm, 7 wrote: > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing: > > > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

  1. Re: [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Oct 5, 5:38*pm, 7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >
    > > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >
    > >> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista

    >
    > >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >>| More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    > >>| are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    > >>| according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum
    > >>| (Tif), seen exclusively by silicon.com.

    >
    > > Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    >
    > You merely have to prove that with any approved statistic.
    >
    > Since we know you can't you may as well accept Linux has
    > higher market share than you claim.


    You merely have to prove that with any statistic. Find one actual
    statistic that isn't a made up number from HPT that says Linux is more
    than 5%.


  2. Re: [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 5, 5:38*pm, 7 wrote:
    >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >>
    >> > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> >> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista

    >>
    >> >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> >>| More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    >> >>| are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    >> >>| according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum
    >> >>| (Tif), seen exclusively by silicon.com.

    >>
    >> > Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    >>
    >> You merely have to prove that with any approved statistic.
    >>
    >> Since we know you can't you may as well accept Linux has
    >> higher market share than you claim.

    >
    > You merely have to prove that with any statistic. Find one actual
    > statistic that isn't a made up number from HPT that says Linux is more
    > than 5%.


    Wassamatta cc? To cheap to pony up $695 for an industry survey? I know
    I am!

    http://www.mindbranch.com/Linux-Usage-Trends-R203-376/

    --
    "...this does not mean that some of us should not want, in a rather
    dispassionate sort of way, to put a bullet through csh's head."
    Larry Wall in <1992Aug6.221512.5963@netlabs.com>

  3. Re: Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Oct 6, 7:32*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
    > * this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Oct 5, 5:38*pm, 7 wrote:
    > >> Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > >> wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    >
    > >> > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:52:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > >> >> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista

    >
    > >> >> ,----[ Quote ]
    > >> >>| More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft technology
    > >> >>| are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just four per cent for Vista,
    > >> >>| according to the 'reality checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum
    > >> >>| (Tif), seen exclusively by silicon.com.

    >
    > >> > Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    >
    > >> You merely have to prove that with any approved statistic.

    >
    > >> Since we know you can't you may as well accept Linux has
    > >> higher market share than you claim.

    >
    > > You merely have to prove that with any statistic. Find one actual
    > > statistic that isn't a made up number from HPT that says Linux is more
    > > than 5%.

    >
    > Wassamatta cc? *To cheap to pony up $695 for an industry survey? *I know
    > I am!
    >
    > * *http://www.mindbranch.com/Linux-Usage-Trends-R203-376/
    >


    Not too cheap, I know what's in it, and so do you.

  4. Re: Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Oct 6, 7:32*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >> Wassamatta cc? *To cheap to pony up $695 for an industry survey? *I know
    >> I am!
    >>
    >> * *http://www.mindbranch.com/Linux-Usage-Trends-R203-376/

    >
    > Not too cheap, I know what's in it, and so do you.


    Do tell, cc.

    I see Linux increasing marvellously, even based on flawed web stat
    numbers.

    Flatso used to go on and on about Linux's "0.24%" market share. Now
    the number is inflated to "1%".

    Maybe flatso knows something you don't.

    --
    Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint.
    -- Mark Twain

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On 2008-10-05, Matt wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>>
    >>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>>> More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft
    >>>>> technology are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just
    >>>>> four per cent for Vista, according to the 'reality
    >>>>> checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif), seen
    >>>>> exclusively by silicon.com.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>
    >> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    >> was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>
    >> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    >> Microsoft mandated software content,

    >
    >
    > I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    > don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.


    While it is getting more and more rare, it does still happen. Although
    these days it's usually not so much of a "you don't run IE, now **** off"
    sort of message as much as it is some exotic requirement like silverlight.
    Even all the pointless Flash doesn't serve as much of a barrier for IE
    browsers.

    OTOH, just recently when the news of the latest Cray supercomputing
    clusters came out (you know, the windows ones) I tried to check those out
    at Cray.com and got the old school "you must use IE and Windows" crap.

    [deletia]

    --
    How did irc manage to get so pretentious about civility |||
    of discourse when it doesn't even allow for the free and / | \
    open exchange of ideas?

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-05, Matt wrote:
    > OTOH, just recently when the news of the latest Cray supercomputing
    > clusters came out (you know, the windows ones) I tried to check those out
    > at Cray.com and got the old school "you must use IE and Windows" crap.
    >
    > [deletia]


    Cray and Microsoft teaming up to sell a discount HPC OS on "cheap"
    hardware.

    Sounds like a real winner to me.

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...ay_baby_super/

    Cray, which has been struggling financially since clustered Linux
    boxes became the rage in supercomputing a decade ago, is known for
    creating the fastest vector and parallel supercomputers in the world,
    and with the CX1, it is trying to push down into a market where
    newbies in life sciences, digital rendering, financial services, and
    other fields are playing around with supers for the first time.

    . . .

    If you want to cut off the air that Linux breathes, as Microsoft
    certainly does, one of the choke points where you try to get your
    Windows tentacles wrapped around is supercomputing, or what people
    for some reason now call high performance computing. But to take on
    Linux in HPC requires a slightly different tack than what worked for
    Windows in the data center, and it requires something a little more
    subtle than the cheap software and portability across architectures
    that made Linux the darling of academic, government, and corporate
    supercomputing centers in a mere decade, supplanting Unix.

    Microsoft's strategy - one that no supercomputer maker and no X64
    chip maker can ignore - is to attack from the bottom, to find those
    myriad new HPC users who never learned Unix, never learned Linux, and
    have no desire to. . . .

    --
    15% gratuity added for parties over 8.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Matt espoused:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>>
    >>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>>> More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft
    >>>>> technology are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just
    >>>>> four per cent for Vista, according to the 'reality
    >>>>> checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif), seen
    >>>>> exclusively by silicon.com.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....

    >>
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>
    >> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    >> was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>
    >> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    >> Microsoft mandated software content,

    >
    >
    > I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    > don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.
    >


    Most corporate systems were built for IE-only usage, as an example.
    Look at Accenture's outsourced HR offerings, say.

    I'd estimate that the vast majority of workers in major corporates are
    stuck with internal systems which have been designed for IE and don't
    work well, if at all, with anything else. Part of the problem is that
    there is no simple business case to make the change, whereas for general
    consumer stuff, the case is very strong indeed.

    --
    | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |


  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 October 2008 07:12 : \____

    > Matt espoused:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>>>> More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft
    >>>>>> technology are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just
    >>>>>> four per cent for Vista, according to the 'reality
    >>>>>> checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif), seen
    >>>>>> exclusively by silicon.com.
    >>>>
    >>>> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....
    >>>
    >>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>>
    >>> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    >>> was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>>
    >>> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    >>> Microsoft mandated software content,

    >>
    >>
    >> I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    >> don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.
    >>

    >
    > Most corporate systems were built for IE-only usage, as an example.
    > Look at Accenture's outsourced HR offerings, say.
    >
    > I'd estimate that the vast majority of workers in major corporates are
    > stuck with internal systems which have been designed for IE and don't
    > work well, if at all, with anything else. Part of the problem is that
    > there is no simple business case to make the change, whereas for general
    > consumer stuff, the case is very strong indeed.


    I hear that about 8% of the people in Brazil use GNU/Linux and that's
    even /before/ they deploy it in /all/ the schools.

    Found an hour ago:

    "For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million users in
    Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market there. "

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1369&blogid=14

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    09:00:01 up 21:51, 1 user, load average: 0.54, 0.92, 1.01
    http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkjrJicACgkQU4xAY3RXLo6ExwCfVPZVKpgAKr l3lSgwoQqT5MMT
    rkQAn1OXzoI68BfFpIz8Sgh/WjxjwpeH
    =GX1K
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Mark Kent on Tuesday :
    >> Matt espoused:
    >>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being
    >>>>> free.....
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>>>
    >>>> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in
    >>>> March 2002 was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>>>
    >>>> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE
    >>>> to view Microsoft mandated software content,
    >>>
    >>> I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do
    >>> that? I don't remember the last time a website turned me away
    >>> for not using Windows.

    >>
    >> Most corporate systems were built for IE-only usage, as an example.
    >> Look at Accenture's outsourced HR offerings, say.
    >>
    >> I'd estimate that the vast majority of workers in major corporates
    >> are stuck with internal systems which have been designed for IE and
    >> don't work well, if at all, with anything else. Part of the
    >> problem is that there is no simple business case to make the
    >> change, whereas for general consumer stuff, the case is very strong
    >> indeed.

    >
    > I hear that about 8% of the people in Brazil use GNU/Linux and that's
    > even /before/ they deploy it in /all/ the schools.
    >
    > Found an hour ago:
    >
    > "For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million
    > users in Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market
    > there. "
    >
    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1369&blogid=14


    As I stated previously and to the chagrin of the Wintrolls, Linux has a
    greater presence outside US borders. Linux is lighter weight and by
    properly selecting the right kernel, can optimally run on much lighter
    hardware than Vista. Considering cash flow issues with poorer countries
    and cash strapped companies and governments, lighter hardware is a cost
    savings in addition to software costs.

    There is only so much yarn that can be spun with FUD.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Found an hour ago:
    >>
    >> "For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million
    >> users in Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market
    >> there. "
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1369&blogid=14

    >
    > As I stated previously


    You can state what you want, but you have no evidence at all for your
    statements.



    > and to the chagrin of the Wintrolls, Linux has
    > a greater presence outside US borders.


    Prove it. And what does OpenOffice have to do with Linux?





    > Linux is lighter weight and by
    > properly selecting the right kernel, can optimally run on much lighter
    > hardware than Vista. Considering cash flow issues with poorer
    > countries and cash strapped companies and governments, lighter
    > hardware is a cost savings in addition to software costs.
    >
    > There is only so much yarn that can be spun with FUD.





  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > As I stated previously and to the chagrin of the Wintrolls, Linux has a
    > greater presence outside US borders. *Linux is lighter weight and by
    > properly selecting the right kernel, can optimally run on much lighter
    > hardware than Vista. *Considering cash flow issues with poorer countries
    > and cash strapped companies and governments, lighter hardware is a cost
    > savings in addition to software costs.


    I believe that there is another very important point, and one that is
    consistently missed. That is the question of sovereignty, and who
    own/controls your software, in particular, your Operating Systems and your
    data formats.
    Microsoft has very ably demonstrated what *can* be done - WGA and the "Black
    Screen of Death", for example. That was for commercial reasons. Now
    consider political reasons. Just suppose that, for whatever reason, the U.S.
    government forced MS to deploy that facility against (say) all users with a
    French I.P.?
    Is it not reasonable to think that perhaps governments are starting to waken
    up to these possibilities?

    I know it sounds far-fetched, but I tell you this - the U.S. government would
    not tolerate the reverse situation! One needs only consider what happened
    when the Pentagon found that it had received umpteen P.C.s manufactured (the
    BIOS in particular) in China!


  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Matt wrote:

    > I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. *Do you do that? *I
    > don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.


    Am I correct in thinking that a website that requires ActiveX is for all
    practical purposes an I.E.-only site?



  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    bbgruff writes:

    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. *Do you do that? *I
    >> don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.

    >
    > Am I correct in thinking that a website that requires ActiveX is for all
    > practical purposes an I.E.-only site?
    >



    You seem to have snipped and not addressed Matt's point.

    I too can not recall a website that would not allow me to enter using
    Firefox in the past "long while".

    But if it requries Active X then yes - IE.

    --
    "I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
    doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he
    should be punished as the law requires."
    -- alt in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  14. Re: Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, cc belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Oct 6, 7:32*am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Wassamatta cc? *To cheap to pony up $695 for an industry survey? *I know
    >>> I am!
    >>>
    >>> * *http://www.mindbranch.com/Linux-Usage-Trends-R203-376/

    >>
    >> Not too cheap, I know what's in it, and so do you.

    >
    > Do tell, cc.
    >
    > I see Linux increasing marvellously, even based on flawed web stat
    > numbers.


    Please explain carefully how they are flawed. And how they still add up
    to 100%....

    >
    > Flatso used to go on and on about Linux's "0.24%" market share. Now
    > the number is inflated to "1%".
    >
    > Maybe flatso knows something you don't.


    Most numbers I see on non tech sites are 0.6 to 1%.

    And experience "in the wild" seems to back this up.

    Hell, even you admit to using Windows and Office.

    --
    "This year with the release of XP, they are actually behind. The end days
    are near for the BIOS reading inferior OS. It is inevitable."
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  15. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    bbgruff wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> As I stated previously and to the chagrin of the Wintrolls, Linux
    >> has a greater presence outside US borders. Linux is lighter weight
    >> and by properly selecting the right kernel, can optimally run on
    >> much lighter hardware than Vista. Considering cash flow issues
    >> with poorer countries and cash strapped companies and governments,
    >> lighter hardware is a cost savings in addition to software costs.

    >
    > I believe that there is another very important point, and one that is
    > consistently missed. That is the question of sovereignty, and who
    > own/controls your software, in particular, your Operating Systems and
    > your data formats. Microsoft has very ably demonstrated what *can* be
    > done - WGA and the "Black Screen of Death", for example. That was
    > for commercial reasons. Now consider political reasons. Just
    > suppose that, for whatever reason, the U.S. government forced MS to
    > deploy that facility against (say) all users with a French I.P.? Is
    > it not reasonable to think that perhaps governments are starting to
    > waken up to these possibilities?


    Voting commissions have become concerned over the uncertainties of
    proprietary software in maintaining accurate votes by the people.
    Brazil has already taken steps to ensure voter confidence by selecting
    Linux:

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oting-machines

    or http://tinyurl.com/4lbhqm

    Brazil migrates voting machines to GNU/Linux
    All 430,000 of them
    By Egan Orion: Tuesday, 08 April 2008, 12:52 PM

    THE BRAZILIAN Electoral Supreme Court announced last Friday that
    Brazil's 2008 elections will use 430,000 electronic voting machines
    running GNU/Linux and open sauce voting applications.

    The voting machines will be migrated from VirtuOS and Microsoft Windows
    CE to GNU/Linux and open sauce software in order to meet legal
    requirements for security and auditability.

    > I know it sounds far-fetched, but I tell you this - the U.S.
    > government would not tolerate the reverse situation! One needs only
    > consider what happened when the Pentagon found that it had received
    > umpteen P.C.s manufactured (the BIOS in particular) in China!


    Here is something that I consider as an unscrupulous action by Microsoft
    and why I am for Open Source and Linux:

    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/09/13.14.shtml

    XP/Vista Stealth Updated by Microsoft Without User Consent
    by John Martellaro, 4:15 PM EDT, September 13th, 2007

    This week, some Windows users have noted that, even though they had the
    Auto-update option turned off, Microsoft accessed their system and made
    modifications, according to Windows Secrets on Thursday.

    "It's surprising that these files can be changed without the user's
    knowledge. The Automatic Updates dialog box in the Control Panel can be
    set to prevent updates from being installed automatically. However, with
    Microsoft's latest stealth move, updates to the WU executables seem to
    be installed regardless of the settings — without notifying users,"
    Scott Dunn reported.

    This isn't the first time this has happened, but previously when
    Microsoft updated svchost.exe, the Windows Update site notified user
    that the software needed to be installed. This time, it happend without
    notice.

    The author noted, "These files are by no means viruses, and Microsoft
    appears to have no malicious intent in patching them. However, writing
    files to a user's PC without notice (when auto-updating has been turned
    off) is behavior that's usually associated with hacker Web sites. The
    question being raised in discussion forums is, 'Why is Microsoft
    operating in this way?' "
    Basically, Microsoft has compromised user confidence with their software.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  16. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > bbgruff wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> As I stated previously and to the chagrin of the Wintrolls, Linux
    >>> has a greater presence outside US borders. Linux is lighter weight
    >>> and by properly selecting the right kernel, can optimally run on
    >>> much lighter hardware than Vista. Considering cash flow issues
    >>> with poorer countries and cash strapped companies and governments,
    >>> lighter hardware is a cost savings in addition to software costs.

    >>
    >> I believe that there is another very important point, and one that is
    >> consistently missed. That is the question of sovereignty, and who
    >> own/controls your software, in particular, your Operating Systems
    >> and
    >> your data formats. Microsoft has very ably demonstrated what *can* be
    >> done - WGA and the "Black Screen of Death", for example. That was
    >> for commercial reasons. Now consider political reasons. Just
    >> suppose that, for whatever reason, the U.S. government forced MS to
    >> deploy that facility against (say) all users with a French I.P.? Is
    >> it not reasonable to think that perhaps governments are starting to
    >> waken up to these possibilities?

    >
    > Voting commissions have become concerned over the uncertainties of
    > proprietary software in maintaining accurate votes by the
    > people. Brazil has already taken steps to ensure voter confidence by
    > selecting Linux:
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oting-machines
    >
    > or http://tinyurl.com/4lbhqm
    >


    Brazil? The place full of long yellow republicans that people skid on?

    Wonderful.

    "The people" - LOL!

  17. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> Voting commissions have become concerned over the uncertainties of
    >> proprietary software in maintaining accurate votes by the people.
    >> Brazil has already taken steps to ensure voter confidence by
    >> selecting Linux:
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oting-machines
    >>
    >> or http://tinyurl.com/4lbhqm

    >
    > Brazil? The place full of long yellow republicans that people skid
    > on? Wonderful. "The people" - LOL!


    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]

    38. Never leave a Linux positive thread unchallenged. If there is a
    thread developing that is positive for Linux, hijack that thread at all
    cost. Even if it means sacrificing your current identity. One method
    to do this is to ramble on about other topics, with or without the use
    embedded insults. Even if you fail to hijack the thread, you may be
    able to derail it enough to cancel the positive-for Linux-impact that it
    could have had.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  18. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 October 2008 07:12 : \____
    >
    >> Matt espoused:
    >>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Brit Business Users Not Warm on Vista
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>>>>> More than half (58 per cent) of businesses using Microsoft
    >>>>>>> technology are "exploiting" Windows XP compared to just
    >>>>>>> four per cent for Vista, according to the 'reality
    >>>>>>> checkers' research by the Corporate IT Forum (Tif), seen
    >>>>>>> exclusively by silicon.com.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Linux is less than 1 percent after 15 years of being free.....
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>>>
    >>>> In July, W3Schools had Linux hits at 3.6%, now shows 3.8%, in March 2002
    >>>> was 2.2%. So much for the 1% theory.
    >>>>
    >>>> Discounting Linux browsing the Internet cloaked as Windows/IE to view
    >>>> Microsoft mandated software content,
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I can't believe many people are doing that anymore. Do you do that? I
    >>> don't remember the last time a website turned me away for not using Windows.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Most corporate systems were built for IE-only usage, as an example.
    >> Look at Accenture's outsourced HR offerings, say.
    >>
    >> I'd estimate that the vast majority of workers in major corporates are
    >> stuck with internal systems which have been designed for IE and don't
    >> work well, if at all, with anything else. Part of the problem is that
    >> there is no simple business case to make the change, whereas for general
    >> consumer stuff, the case is very strong indeed.

    >
    > I hear that about 8% of the people in Brazil use GNU/Linux and that's
    > even /before/ they deploy it in /all/ the schools.
    >
    > Found an hour ago:
    >
    > "For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million users in
    > Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market there. "
    >
    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1369&blogid=14
    >


    Good for them, really. As we get more and more graduates with Linux
    skills and expectations appearing on the job market, then I think that
    things will have to change in companies.

    --
    | mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk |
    | Cola faq: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ |
    | Cola trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/ |
    | Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own your Own services! |


  19. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> Mark Kent on Tuesday :
    >>
    >>> Most corporate systems were built for IE-only usage, as an
    >>> example. Look at Accenture's outsourced HR offerings, say.
    >>>
    >>> I'd estimate that the vast majority of workers in major
    >>> corporates are stuck with internal systems which have been
    >>> designed for IE and don't work well, if at all, with anything
    >>> else. Part of the problem is that there is no simple business
    >>> case to make the change, whereas for general consumer stuff, the
    >>> case is very strong indeed.

    >>
    >> I hear that about 8% of the people in Brazil use GNU/Linux and
    >> that's even /before/ they deploy it in /all/ the schools.
    >>
    >> Found an hour ago:
    >>
    >> "For, example, according to this report, there are now 12 million
    >> users in Brazil, representing fully 25% of the entire office market
    >> there. "
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...1369&blogid=14

    >
    > Good for them, really. As we get more and more graduates with Linux
    > skills and expectations appearing on the job market, then I think
    > that things will have to change in companies.


    I agree. Apple's increasing market share is also beneficial to Linux.
    It makes people out there realise there are alternatives, and they need
    to prepare themselves to be able to write software for these clients also.

    Best thing about Linux is the application development tools and
    diagnostics are free. It is only a free download or inexpensive DVD
    purchase away.

    Here is something disturbing, which I am sure companies involved with
    financial security, law enforcement, competing market would be concerned
    about:

    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/09/13.14.shtml

    XP/Vista Stealth Updated by Microsoft Without User Consent
    by John Martellaro, 4:15 PM EDT, September 13th, 2007

    This week, some Windows users have noted that, even though they had the
    Auto-update option turned off, Microsoft accessed their system and made
    modifications, according to Windows Secrets on Thursday.

    "It's surprising that these files can be changed without the user's
    knowledge. The Automatic Updates dialog box in the Control Panel can be
    set to prevent updates from being installed automatically. However, with
    Microsoft's latest stealth move, updates to the WU executables seem to
    be installed regardless of the settings without notifying users,"
    Scott Dunn reported.
    No one likes to have their privacy potentially violated.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  20. Re: [News] [Rival] Vista at 4% in Businesses After Almost 2 years

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 21:32:44 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:
    >>
    >>> Voting commissions have become concerned over the uncertainties of
    >>> proprietary software in maintaining accurate votes by the people.
    >>> Brazil has already taken steps to ensure voter confidence by
    >>> selecting Linux:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oting-machines
    >>>
    >>> or http://tinyurl.com/4lbhqm

    >>
    >> Brazil? The place full of long yellow republicans that people skid
    >> on? Wonderful. "The people" - LOL!

    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    >
    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >
    > 38. Never leave a Linux positive thread unchallenged. If there is a
    > thread developing that is positive for Linux, hijack that thread at all
    > cost. Even if it means sacrificing your current identity. One method
    > to do this is to ramble on about other topics, with or without the use
    > embedded insults. Even if you fail to hijack the thread, you may be
    > able to derail it enough to cancel the positive-for Linux-impact that it
    > could have had.



    Hadron Quack, troll, M$ fanboi & shill.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast