[News] Another Important Addition to Linux 2.6.28: Graphics Execution Manager - Linux

  1. [News] Another Important Addition to Linux 2.6.28: Graphics Execution Manager

    Intel's GEM Coming In Linux 2.6.28 Kernel

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since May when Intel first introduced their Graphics Execution Manager after
    | X.Org developers were enraged over Tungsten's TTM memory manager and its
    | development challenges, we've been talking about GEM several times since
    | then.
    |
    | Intel's Graphics Execution Manager is a kernel memory manager for graphics
    | processors and has since overtaken TTM in what will become the de facto
    | standard for GPU memory management. A technical explanation of GEM can be
    | found here.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Njc2NA

    Recent:

    The State of Kernel Mode-Setting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | All of the kernel-based mode-setting excitement in Fedora 9 was limited to
    | those using Intel's integrated graphics hardware. With Fedora 10 not only can
    | Intel users benefit but so can those with ATI Radeon hardware. Jerome Glisse
    | has been working on Radeon kernel mode-setting code since December of last
    | year, and in recent months David Airlie and Adam Jackson have joined in on
    | this work. For those using an ATI R300 GPU to R500 will have kernel-based
    | mode-setting support enabled by default in this next Fedora release. A few
    | months back AMD had released a new AtomBIOS parser to the open-source
    | community, which is being used for the KMS driver and should enter the
    | mainline Linux kernel -- likely with Linux 2.6.28.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...kms_2008&num=1

    Kernel Log: 2.6.27 nearing completion; Btrfs to be added to the kernel?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chris Mason has transferred the source code of the experimental Btrfs file
    | system into a Git repository. This move is intended to make it easier for
    | other kernel hackers to evaluate the file system and to stimulate discussions
    | about incorporating it into the Linux main development branch. Mason believes
    | that it would be best to continue development of the file system from now on
    | within the framework of the official Linux kernel. If this were to happen, it
    | should be with the caveat that Btrfs is not intended for everyday use, in
    | much the same way that developers treat the Ext4 file system, which kernel
    | hackers have been working to complete within the framework of the Linux main
    | development branch since version 2.6.19.
    `----

    http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/K...--/news/111632

  2. Re: [News] Another Important Addition to Linux 2.6.28: Graphics Execution Manager

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Intel's GEM Coming In Linux 2.6.28 Kernel
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Since May when Intel first introduced their Graphics Execution Manager after
    >| X.Org developers were enraged over Tungsten's TTM memory manager and its
    >| development challenges, we've been talking about GEM several times since
    >| then.
    >|
    >| Intel's Graphics Execution Manager is a kernel memory manager for graphics
    >| processors and has since overtaken TTM in what will become the de facto
    >| standard for GPU memory management. A technical explanation of GEM can be
    >| found here.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Njc2NA

    Also interesting there:

    Intel's Jesse Barnes has published a new blog post talking about GEM
    for Linux 2.6.28 and other related topics. Jesse confirms that
    everything is still on track for being pushed into the Linux kernel
    once the 2.6.28 merge window is open. The kernel mode-setting bits
    will be merged too. Additionally, Jesse stated the xf86-video-intel
    2.5 release is still coming along and should be out soon. As a result
    of the Intel e1000e networking troubles, he's also made a few PCI
    improvements that improve safety.

    --
    "Facts are stupid things."
    -- President Ronald Reagan (a blooper from his speech at the '88 GOP convention)

+ Reply to Thread