[News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia - Linux

  1. [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    Guangzhou event shows keen interest in open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Around 100 people were in Guangzhou to join the OpenSource Camp. Some of them
    | came from Zhuhai, others from Hong Kong and there were locals, too. I really
    | didn't think there would be so many people interested in open source.
    `----

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/blogs/opens...3006661,00.htm

    Recent:

    Mozilla Seeks Growth, Tie-ups in China

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mozilla, which develops open source Web browser Firefox, the biggest
    | alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer, aims to at least double its
    | share this year in China, which is set to become the world's largest Web
    | market. Â*
    |
    | California-based Mozilla expects the going to be tough in a country where
    | consumers are largely unaware of open source and businesses typically base
    | their services on Explorer, Gong Li, CEO of Mozilla Online, said on Monday. Â*
    `----

    http://www.internetnews.com/breaking...le.php/3730076

    Companies in Desperate Need of Embedded Linux Developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As the demand for embedded Linux developers is growing, it is becoming harder
    | for companies to find capable developers.
    `----

    http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200807280010

    New open source blogger onboard ZDNet Asia

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since 2004, I've tried to establish different kinds of business models based
    | on open source, but I failed twice. In early 2008, I founded a new company
    | called TargetSource Tech, which is an open source services provider that ties
    | up with global open source partners to deliver enterprise-ready open source
    | software to customers. This time, we are on a new road to explore a
    | successful open source business model in China. The future will show us the
    | truth.
    `----

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/blogs/opens...3005561,00.htm

    Open Source In Action -- Xi'An

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last month, I had a good opportunity to visit Xi'an Software Park with SUN,
    | Intel and Red flag for 'Open source In Day'. This is second time I went to
    | Xian, the event also let me more understand the development of software in
    | this ancient city which has a history of 13 dynasties. Of course, it's also a
    | good chance for open-source technology spread to Xi'an local software
    | development companies, technical staff and students.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Here is a photo we photographed at the event, you will see that there are
    | more than 100 people join the event without empty seats.
    `----

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/blogs/opens...3006091,00.htm

    Asia set to 'give back' to open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Asia is in the middle of a mass adoption wave of open source technology, and
    | the floodgates of innovation will open following this wave in two to three
    | years, according to open source vendors.
    `----

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2046073,00.htm

    RP to take part in global open source festivities

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In 2006, a study showed there had been a 40-percent increase in the number of
    | open source developers in the Asia Pacific region from 2003-2006. The report
    | said nearly 70 percent of all software developers in the region have used
    | open source modules in their applications.
    `----

    http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20080919135600.html

    Linux gains ground in China

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux has been riding on a wave in China, topping the growth of all operating
    | systems in the first quarter of 2007, says an industry analyst.
    `----

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/spe...2028679,00.htm

    Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
    | sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
    | 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
    | have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
    | Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
    | interview.
    `----

    http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
    http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

    China puts hopes in Loongson CPU

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | China, which has long wished to develop its own computer industry, has chosen
    | to go with Linux on the software side. Loongson is its hope for the hardware
    | side. Â*
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119890

    CCID Consulting: Industrial Convergence Accelerates Technological Innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As to the development of operating systems, China has done a lot of R&D work
    | on Chinese Linux, supporting open source codes and its applications.
    | Currently, many manufacturers have developed commercial Chinese Linux
    | operating systems and have applied them to industrial and informatization
    | projects. China has independently developed Red Flag Linux, CS&S Linux and
    | Red Office based on Linux. As to the server operating system, the
    | technological development of Kylin (internal test version) has been completed
    | and provided with independent intellectual properties. Added to this, China
    | has developed Chinese Linux for desktops, CS&S Linux4.0 and Red Flag
    | Linux4.0. As for office software, the large-scale integrated office software
    | Yongzhong Office2003 has been successfully developed with independent
    | intellectual property. KingSoft developed the new cross-platform word
    | composition engine, tabular computation engine and animation play engine for
    | Chinese Linux and put forward KingSoft WPS running on Chinese Linux. China
    | has make breakthrough progress on the application of Linux to servers,
    | embedded systems, Internet and information security. Application software for
    | intelligent mobile phones, STBs, commercial servers and medical appliances
    | have been developed and they present satisfying commercial applications
    | potential and high commercial value... Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,211895.shtml

    Linux becomes mature and achieves excellence

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to statistics from the China Open Source Software Promotion
    | Union, Linux's sales in the Chinese market reached 218 million Yuan in
    | 2006, up 41 percent, and higher than the international average. In 2006,
    | in the domestic market, seven million computers in the domestic market
    | were signed up for pre-installation of Linux, making up 35 percent of
    | the computers in the Chinese market. This all demonstrates that Linux
    | has great development potential. Some domestic Linux manufacturers are
    | also collaborating with international IT companies to constantly improve
    | their product lines. The domestic brand, Linux, has essentially matured.
    `----

    http://english.people.com.cn/200706/...21867012069773

    CCID Consulting: China's Linux Market up by 30.9% in 2007Q1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As for industry segments, Linux market growth was mainly concentrated
    | in the government, financial services and telecom sectors, which accounted
    | for a market share of 34%, 22.5% and 21.2% respectively.
    `----

    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4583089&EDATE=
    http://tinyurl.com/yooq7a

  2. Re: [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    Roy Schestowitz had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-08 04:32:

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As the demand for embedded Linux developers is growing, it is becoming harder
    > | for companies to find capable developers.
    > `----
    >
    > http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200807280010

    What does one have to do to get Linux developers embedded?

    Erik Jan

  3. Re: [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Jan belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Roy Schestowitz had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-08 04:32:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As the demand for embedded Linux developers is growing, it is becoming harder
    >> | for companies to find capable developers.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200807280010
    >>

    > What does one have to do to get Linux developers embedded?

    That's a good idea, embedding Linux developers on Microsoft teams.

    --
    When oxygen Tech played Hydrogen U. The Game had just begun, when
    Hydrogen scored two fast points And Oxygen still had none Then Oxygen

  4. Re: [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    On 2008-10-05, Erik Jan claimed:
    > Roy Schestowitz had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-08 04:32:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As the demand for embedded Linux developers is growing, it is becoming harder
    >> | for companies to find capable developers.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200807280010
    >>

    > What does one have to do to get Linux developers embedded?

    A little wining and dining probably wouldn't hurt. Maybe some dancing,
    too.

    --
    VISTA: Very Irritating System, Try Alternatives

  5. Re: [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    ____/ Erik Jan on Sunday 05 October 2008 13:00 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 05-10-08 04:32:
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As the demand for embedded Linux developers is growing, it is becoming
    >> | harder for companies to find capable developers.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/det...d=200807280010
    >>

    > What does one have to do to get Linux developers embedded?
    >
    > Erik Jan

    I couldn't find the story about Microsoft opening a session _at a Linux event_
    offering food and gifts to Linux developers and luring them away. I did,
    however, find these along the way:

    Slashdot promotes windows!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This ad appeared on this mornings reload of Slashdot.org. It
    | ran big bold headlines "LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE CHOOSES WINDOWS
    | OVER LINUX FOR RELIABILITY!" and stopped at the frame shown here.
    | The implication is "Windows is more reliable than Linux in server
    | environments. You should run Windows Server 2003 if you want to
    | succeed."
    `----

    http://planet-geek.com/archives/003510.html

    Microsoft sponsors FOSS event (what the hell's going on!!!)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite the resent FUD campaign that Micro$oft has launched against Free
    | and Open Source Software they seems to be supporting FOSS at the same
    | time by sponsoring FOSS advocacy events such as FOSS-ed... go to :
    | http://www.foss.lk/events/2007/fossedforwindows and look for the "Gold
    | Sponsors" at the end of the page.
    `----

    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft...ell_s_going_on

    "Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
    | MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
    `----

    http://www.ciol.com/content/develope.../107020104.asp
    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Mem: 2075800k total, 1895572k used, 180228k free, 25988k buffers

  6. Re: [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    > I couldn't find the story about Microsoft opening a session _at a
    > Linux event_ offering food and gifts to Linux developers and luring
    > them away.

    How about these:

    If you watch the arrangements made at the XML 2007 conference, you’ll
    find that Microsoft hosts, pays for, covers, and sponsors all sorts of
    things (mind the “Hors d’oeuvres and drinks hosted by Microsoft”).
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/12/06/...inks-xml-2007/

    A reader has made us aware us a very curious mailing list thread.
    “Someone harshly criticized Microsoft security making some very good
    points,” he writes. “Suddenly a Microsoft rep materialized on the
    mailing list to refute them, offer to put on a security dog and pony
    show for the group and buy everyone lunch, and that’s where it ended!
    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/12/09/...t-buying-love/

    The Vole [Microsoft] supposedly invited The INQ over for tea because we
    are notorious “Microsoft doubters” - and we were accompanied by other
    supposed Vole doubters such as the folk from lifehacker and a very nice
    man from Slashdot, as well as some Microsoft MvPs.

    Microsoft flew me there from Florida at its expense, put me up in a nice
    hotel, provided decent food, and comped me and four other invitees to
    this “special conference” with presentations about the marvels of Vista
    and other recent or upcoming Microsoft products. They didn’t quite play
    the old Beatles song “Love Me Do” in the background, but it was the
    event’s unstated theme.

    Gilad Tiefenbrun, Director of Engineering of Linn Products in Scotland
    (known since the 1970s for their high-end audio equipment), showed their
    new Sneaky Music DS device for playing high quality music stored on a
    home LAN -- with Open Source software components you can modify to your
    heart's content.

    Microsoft picked up the tab for drinks and food
    http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn

    Also relevant:

    http://boycottnovell.com/2008/03/11/...-invades-foss/
    http://boycottnovell.com/2008/04/02/...-redefinition/

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    06:19:38 up 51 days, 3:32, 5 users, load average: 4.35, 4.24, 4.20

  7. Re: [News] [News] Open Source Supporters Convene in Asia

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:20:00 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > If you watch the arrangements made at the XML 2007 conference, you˙ll
    > find that Microsoft hosts, pays for, covers, and sponsors all sorts of
    > things (mind the ´Hors d˙oeuvres and drinks hosted by Microsoftˇ).
    > [/quote]

    I can see you have never been to corporate level symposiums, trade shows
    etc.
    That's the way it goes.
    Meet and greet, or dine and wine(whine).

    I realize your smelly Linux conventions consist of a bowl of stale peanuts
    and some Koolaid so you really have no idea.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread