[News] Following Microsoft's OOXML Corruptions, ISO Convenor Considers Retiring - Linux

  1. [News] Following Microsoft's OOXML Corruptions, ISO Convenor Considers Retiring

    SC 34 Meetings, Jeju Island, Korea - Day 4

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My retirement?
    |
    | With the arrangements made for WG 4, a vacancy arose for the convenorship of
    | WG 1, and I was pleased to accept the honour of taking this role. It is a
    | great responsibility, following in the giant footsteps of preceding convenors
    | Charles Goldfarb, Martin Bryan, and Murata-san himself.
    |
    | On a personal level it must also be said it is a relief to step away from the
    | standardisation of OOXML. Whatever one’s views about the merits of the spec,
    | I think there can be no disagreement with the thought that being heavily
    | involved with its passage is both tiring and stressful. For now, I’ve had
    | enough.
    `----

    http://adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry081003-105734

    Maybe he can pick up his 'reward' now by getting a very well-paid job at
    Microsoft, just like Peter Galli. Or even Van Der Beld, who now works for a
    Microsoft lobbying platform, having done the dirty jobs in ECMA and changed
    rules for Microsoft in ISO.

    A bunch of hyena sharing the loot, harboring fraud and misconduct...

    Recent:

    The customer counts for nothing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And as far as compatibility is concerned, you need not look further than
    | Microsoft. It has been investing billions in its new wannabe-open format,
    | which is actually a poxy pile of unstable zipped XML files - various bugs
    | have been reported, especially concerning Excel. We should also mention that
    | the document describing the standard is a six thousand-page monstrosity,
    | which compares quite sadly to the less than one thousand pages description
    | paper for the OpenDocument format.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ring-dark-side

    Microsoft: 'ODF Has Clearly Won'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The battle between the OpenDocument Format and Microsoft's Open Office XML
    | was long, and here and there rather nasty, but it appears as if we finally
    | have a winner. The company behind OOXML already conceded by announcing it
    | would implement support for ODF in Office 2007 SP2, but now it has also said
    | it quite literally: ODF has won.
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story/19893

    Related:

    20 May: a day of anniversaries

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ultimately the situation raises questions which go to the heart of the
    | relationship between JTC 1 as an entity, and its member bodies. Just who is
    | in charge, the nations or the officials? The unfortunate state of the
    | Directives have meant there have been too many occasions when officials have
    | had to step in and save the nations from the folly of the Directives that
    | they themselves approved. Like ODF and OOXML the Directives is (literally) a
    | standard, a standard that has faults. Unlike ODF and OOXML, however, I am
    | beginning to believe the Directives have got to a state where they cannot be
    | redeemed by evolution and amendment. It may be time to start again from
    | scratch.
    `----

    http://adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry080520-161544

    Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
    | WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
    | says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
    | JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
    | have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
    | get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
    | AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107...by-corporation

    Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...microsoft.html

    Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

    | In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
    | WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
    | standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
    | SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

  2. Re: [News] Following Microsoft's OOXML Corruptions, ISO ConvenorConsiders Retiring

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > SC 34 Meetings, Jeju Island, Korea - Day 4
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| My retirement?
    >|
    >| With the arrangements made for WG 4, a vacancy arose for the convenorship of
    >| WG 1, and I was pleased to accept the honour of taking this role. It is a
    >| great responsibility, following in the giant footsteps of preceding convenors
    >| Charles Goldfarb, Martin Bryan, and Murata-san himself.
    >|
    >| On a personal level it must also be said it is a relief to step away from the
    >| standardisation of OOXML. Whatever one’s views about the merits of the spec,
    >| I think there can be no disagreement with the thought that being heavily
    >| involved with its passage is both tiring and stressful. For now, I’ve had
    >| enough.
    > `----
    >
    > http://adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry081003-105734
    >
    > Maybe he can pick up his 'reward' now by getting a very well-paid job at
    > Microsoft, just like Peter Galli. Or even Van Der Beld, who now works for a
    > Microsoft lobbying platform, having done the dirty jobs in ECMA and changed
    > rules for Microsoft in ISO.
    >
    > A bunch of hyena sharing the loot, harboring fraud and misconduct...

    I'm not so sure - it sounds to me as though this guy has had enough of
    trying to peddle corruption, but time will surely tell on this one.
    Let's see where he turns up next.