How Open Source Biology May Rock Your World

,----[ Quote ]
| Drew Endy, an open source biologist currently working at Stanford, is a good
| example of why. Along with several researchers at MIT, Endy is working on
| synthetic biology and the engineering of standardized biological components
| and devices, known as BioBricks.

OpenSim on half a buck a day

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently decided to see what the big deal was about OpenSim. After
| initially installing it on my desktop computer and connecting to it with the
| latest Release Candidate viewer, I decided to try to set it up on an
| inexpensive hosting account to see how feasible it was to run a real sim live
| on the Internet. Today's blog post talks a bit about how I did it, it's not a
| how-to guide, and you'll probably need to be a bit of a Linux geek to follow
| along, but hopefully you find it interesting.

Wndchrm - an open source utility for biological image analysis

,----[ Quote ]
| Methods: Wndchrm is an open source utility for biological image analysis.
| The software works by first extracting image content descriptors from the raw
| image, image transforms, and compound image transforms. Then, the most
| informative features are selected, and the images are analyzed.

The Systems Biology Research Tool: evolvable open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusions: The Systems Biology Research Tool represents a technological
| advance for systems biology. This software can be used to make sophisticated
| computational techniques accessible to everyone (including those with no
| programming ability), to facilitate cooperation among researchers, and to
| expedite progress in the field of systems biology.

New born BioPuppy Linux for Bioinformatics

,----[ Quote ]
| BioPuppy OS is an electronic workbench for bio-informatics and computational
| biology. It has been designed to meet the needs of beginners. BioPuppy is
| available as a live CD cum installation CD [and in USB Pen drive] and
| containing all the required software to boot the computer with ready to use
| bio-informatics tools.

Open source synthetic biology

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone within synthetic biology takes the open-source approach, Andrew
| Hessel, an iGEM consultant who recruits teams from Canadian universities,
| told me, but the driving force behind it is iGEM and MIT (Rettberg works with
| renowned hacker-turned-synthetic biologist Tom Knight). Hessel likened the
| atmosphere to the time when computers were first becoming cheap enough to be
| affordable by anyone who wanted one, and young, bright kids began to play
| around with code.

Biology Goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the world's biggest drug companies are finding that
| their genetic research is worth more to them if they give it away.

Open Lab

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source wave could soon power drug discovery initiatives in the
| country. A decentralised, web-based initiative is emerging that would enable
| scientists from laboratories, universities, institutes, and drug Companies to
| work together in discovering new drugs for diseases like tuberculosis (TB),
| malaria, various types of cancer, AIDS, Chikungunya, Kala-azar, dengue fever,
| etc.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)