[News] Microsoft-funded 'Census' Finds Lots of GNU/Linux and Free Software - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft-funded 'Census' Finds Lots of GNU/Linux andFree Software

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Census Reveals the Top 20 Open Source Packages
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The other day we reported findings from the Open Source Census--a global
    >| effort to track the number of installations of open source packages on
    >| computers. Among the top-level findings were that open source is seeing broad
    >| adoption in Europe and in finance. The census has also made available a list
    >| of the top 20 open source packages found in its scans of thousands of
    >| computers. Here are the packages that made the top 20 list.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/173587-blog/censu...ource-packages

    This list has Firefox on 83% of scanned computers (top of the list).
    Bottom of the top-ten is Samba on a mere 40% of scanned computers.

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft-funded 'Census' Finds Lots of GNU/Linux and Free Software

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Mark Kent belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Census Reveals the Top 20 Open Source Packages
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The other day we reported findings from the Open Source Census--a global
    >>| effort to track the number of installations of open source packages on
    >>| computers. Among the top-level findings were that open source is seeing broad
    >>| adoption in Europe and in finance. The census has also made available a list
    >>| of the top 20 open source packages found in its scans of thousands of
    >>| computers. Here are the packages that made the top 20 list.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/173587-blog/censu...ource-packages

    > This list has Firefox on 83% of scanned computers (top of the list).
    > Bottom of the top-ten is Samba on a mere 40% of scanned computers.

    According to Moshe, though, OpenOffice must be "tanking" -- it's only at
    45%, barely above Perl.

    Anyway, the big surprise to me is that OpenSSL is so low.

    --
    * joeyh installs debian using only his big toe, for a change of pace
    -- in #debian-boot

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft-funded 'Census' Finds Lots of GNU/Linux and Free Software

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Census Reveals the Top 20 Open Source Packages
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> The other day we reported findings from the Open Source Census--a
    >>> global effort to track the number of installations of open source
    >>> packages on computers. Among the top-level findings were that open
    >>> source is seeing broad adoption in Europe and in finance. The
    >>> census has also made available a list of the top 20 open source
    >>> packages found in its scans of thousands of computers. Here are the
    >>> packages that made the top 20 list.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/173587-blog/censu...ource-packages
    >>

    > This list has Firefox on 83% of scanned computers (top of the list).
    > Bottom of the top-ten is Samba on a mere 40% of scanned computers.

    Listen to the cola lusers crow.

    Can we even begin to describe how bogus this is?

    * sponsored by IDC, which according to cola idiots is a "pay-for-say
    shillnalyst"
    * self-selected
    * doesn't reveal results for Windows
    * tiny sample (300K out of ~1,000,000K systems worldwide = 0.03%)
    * reports only open source packages (in other words doesn't mention how many
    installations of IE or MS Office or Visual Studio, etc)

    https://www.osscensus.org/

+ Reply to Thread