[News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits - Linux

  1. [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The rest run on a Debian-based flavor of Linux that Ziegler calls "Schlunix"
    | (pronounced "schloooonix") -- after company cofounder Rainer Schlund. In
    | Europe, 90% prefer Linux, Ziegler said. "There's a profound distrust of
    | Microsoft in Germany," where the company is headquartered.
    `----

    Recent:

    Ubuntu In Popular Culture

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday we watched “Berlin am Meer” - not a world-changing, but nice movie
    | filmed in Berlin. As in all other modern movies which happen to be shot in
    | Berlin, I enjoy the sensation of recognising where the scene happened (”Nice,
    | that’s like 5 minutes from here.” or “We’ve been at that spot last weekend.”)
    | The movie did not disappoint us in that regard, lots of scenes were shot in
    | Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain and Treptow.
    |
    | In addition to that, I was pleased to see they used Ubuntu in a short scene.
    | (The supposed best friend of the leading character copies files from his
    | laptop without him knowing.)
    `----

    http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=239

    German Pension Fund Moves to Linux on the Mainframe Using Clerity's UniKix
    Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Approximately 3.5 million lines of code and 2,500 CICS-COBOL programs,
    | serving up to 5,000 simultaneous users, will be moved during this project.
    | Since GRVS maintains life-long data for all workers in its system, the
    | detailed calculations it performs will need to be replicated on the UniKix
    | TPE and Linux on System z partition.
    `----

    http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprns...?storyid=14571

    German Home Savings and Loan Association Relies on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Red Hat (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions,
    | today announced that Vereinsbank Victoria Bauspar AG (VVB), a German private
    | home savings and loan association, has implemented SEP sesam running on Red
    | Hat Enterprise Linux 5 to maintain its backup and recovery solution for all
    | database applications in its two parallel data centers. The high-performance
    | solution enhances data transfer rates, speeding the resolution of backups
    | while reducing maintenance and administration efforts.
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...35&newsLang=en
    http://tinyurl.com/6g8bls

    DE: Manual for migrating to Open Source updated

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The German Ministry of the Interior has published the third edition of
    | its 'Migrationsleitfaden', a manual for public administrations migrating to
    | Open Source.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7675/469

    Three German KDE Deployments

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The IT Service Center Berlin has announced the development of a desktop
    | system for the public services in Germany's capital (Google Translate to
    | English). This is yet another public body making the switch to the Free
    | Desktop system
    `----

    http://dot.kde.org/1212516937/

    [German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

    German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
    | Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
    | BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
    | story for ODF!
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information

    DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred of the two thousand PCs used by
    | the city council are now running OpenOffice.
    |
    | The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
    | intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
    | costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
    |
    | The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
    | to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

    Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The guys from “Berliner Fenster”, a company responsible for the content of
    | the television system installed inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700
    | displays) were so kind (thank you!) providing us with a spot for our release
    | party this Saturday for free. So just on time with the release starting from
    | today there are small spots viewable by an audience of about 1.5 million
    | people per day according to their web site.
    `----

    http://www.screenage.de/blog/2008/04...-metro-system/

    DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
    | irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
    | countries. These claims continued until after the final discussion, in
    | February and March this year.
    |
    | The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
    | The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
    | Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
    | declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
    | position has yet been adopted.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

    199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
    | low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
    | This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
    | more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/19...ith_openoffice

    City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

    | According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
    | Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
    | open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
    | organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
    | see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
    | and open standards.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ci...ich_and_german

    The German Plan for Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
    | Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
    | recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
    |
    | What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
    | Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...rman-plan.html

    Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
    | eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
    | recommends ODF for text documents.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...to_recommended

    German county adopts OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
    | open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
    | majority of the client systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...openoffice_org

    German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
    | us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
    | penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
    | work.
    `----

    http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/200...king-into.html

    Green Euro MP supports call for better access to open source software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | European citizens have the right to freely access documents and information
    | from the institutions which represent them, and it is about time that the use
    | of open source software became more widespread
    |
    | Open source software (1) should be more widely available in order to help
    | reduce the 'digital divide', according to Dr Caroline Lucas, Green MEP for
    | the South East.
    |
    | Dr Lucas has added her signature to a written declaration in the European
    | Parliament - like an Early Day Motion (EDM) in the House of Commons -
    | recognising the growing disparities in access to information and
    | communication technologies throughout the European Union, and calling for
    | increased use of open source technology.
    `----

    http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/3424

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

  2. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 02:11:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The rest run on a Debian-based flavor of Linux that Ziegler calls "Schlunix"
    >| (pronounced "schloooonix") -- after company cofounder Rainer Schlund. In
    >| Europe, 90% prefer Linux, Ziegler said.

    Hahahha!
    That's a riot.

    So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?

    What a shill.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:

    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 02:11:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| The rest run on a Debian-based flavor of Linux that Ziegler calls
    >>| "Schlunix" (pronounced "schloooonix") -- after company cofounder Rainer
    >>| Schlund. In Europe, 90% prefer Linux, Ziegler said.

    > Hahahha!
    > That's a riot.
    >
    > So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?
    >
    > What a shill.

    What part of "web hoster" / ISP was too difficult for you, flatfish?
    Rainer Schlund is one of the major german service providers.
    And yes, the absolute vast majority (around 90%) of those prefer linux.
    Windows is in single digit percentage in that area

    As usual, you have not the tiniest idea what you are blubbering about
    --
    Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

  4. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Khlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:
    >
    >> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 02:11:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Hahahha!
    >> That's a riot.
    >>
    >> So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?
    >>
    >> What a shill.

    > What part of "web hoster" / ISP was too difficult for you, flatfish?
    > Rainer Schlund is one of the major german service providers.
    > And yes, the absolute vast majority (around 90%) of those prefer linux.
    > Windows is in single digit percentage in that area
    >
    > As usual, you have not the tiniest idea what you are blubbering about

    Where's Hadron to correct Moshe, or, since this is after the fact, to
    shriek about Moshe being a Liar?

    Ooops. Forgot. They're in bed together. Moshe and his "sidecar".

    --
    There's no justice in this world.
    -- Frank Costello, on the prosecution of "Lucky" Luciano by

  5. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 02:11:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> The rest run on a Debian-based flavor of Linux that Ziegler calls
    >>> "Schlunix" (pronounced "schloooonix") -- after company cofounder
    >>> Rainer Schlund. In Europe, 90% prefer Linux, Ziegler said.

    > Hahahha!
    > That's a riot.
    >
    > So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?
    >
    > What a shill.

    Look at the "esteemed author" Roy Spamowitz go!

  6. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    "Peter Khlmann" stated in post
    48e8e85c$0$28919$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 10/5/08 9:16 AM:

    >> Hahahha!
    >> That's a riot.
    >>
    >> So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?
    >>
    >> What a shill.
    >>

    > What part of "web hoster" / ISP was too difficult for you, flatfish?

    Perhaps the same part that was "too difficult for you" when you pointed to
    the IP address of a web host I use and then claimed it was *my* IP address!

    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations. - David Friedman

  7. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:54:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 02:11:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Inside 1&1's Giant Web Hosting Data Center
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> Hahahha!
    >> That's a riot.
    >>
    >> So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?
    >>
    >> What a shill.

    > Look at the "esteemed author" Roy Spamowitz go!

    They all missed the creative wording of the OP.
    Carefully designed to convey a certain image of Linux usage.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:54:04 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Hahahha!
    >>> That's a riot.
    >>>
    >>> So why aren't 90 percent of EU citizens running Linux?
    >>>
    >>> What a shill.

    >> Look at the "esteemed author" Roy Spamowitz go!

    > They all missed the creative wording of the OP.
    > Carefully designed to convey a certain image of Linux usage.

    "Germany gives up on Microsoft" is beyond ridiculous, but nothing is too
    stupid for a Linux "advocate*" to blab.

  9. Re: [News] Germany Gives up on Microsoft, So GNU/Linux Benefits

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >Where's Hadron to correct Moshe, or, since this is after the fact, to
    >shriek about Moshe being a Liar?

    Hell, I was hoping for an "apology" from the troll for making the
    error. LOL

    >Ooops. Forgot. They're in bed together. Moshe and his "sidecar".

    Absolute garbage, both of them.

+ Reply to Thread