Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models. - Linux ; High Plains Thumper wrote: > DFS wrote: >> High Plains Thumper wrote: >> >>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon >>> >>> Statement was made by MSI's Director of U.S. Sales Andy >>> Tung, reflective of US sales. >> >> Where does it say the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon
    >>>
    >>> Statement was made by MSI's Director of U.S. Sales Andy
    >>> Tung, reflective of US sales.

    >> Where does it say the return rate is unique to the US market?

    > http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...l&name=aboutus
    >

    > MSI Headquarters
    > No. 69, Li-De St., Jung-He City, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
    > Tel: 886-2-3234-5599 (REP)
    > Fax: 886-2-3234-5488 (REP)
    > http://www.msi.com.tw
    >

    > MSI is not a US based company.

    In other words, you have no evidence whatsoever for your claim.

    >>> Linux has a greater presence and familiarity outside the US.

    >> How do you know?

    > Wake up and smell the coffee.

    And you have no evidence whatsoever for this claim, either.

    >>> My daughter loves her ASUS Eee PC 4G mini-laptop with Linux
    >>> preloaded. They did a good job with it, user friendly, easy
    >>> to set up, very easy for a Windows user to learn.

    >> Apparently not, given that so many users are returning the
    >> systems only because of the slopware.

    > ASUS is not MSI.

    So? It's not the vendor that's causing the extremely high rate of returns -
    it's the Linux crapware.

    >> Just goes to show you can't force Linux turds onto a public
    >> demanding Windows steak.

    > This is an example of:

    The truth.

    Your example below is for the weak-minded who can't think for themselves.

    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    > 32. Promote Windows at every opportunity. Microsoft Windows
    > needs a lot of help to be successful in the mind share of its
    > targeted user base. Point out to everybody on COLA how wonderful
    > it is. Ignore the meaning of the name of the newsgroup and its
    > charter.

  2. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    In article ,
    "DFS" wrote:
    > >> Where does it say the return rate is unique to the US market?

    > > http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...l&name=aboutus
    > >

    > > MSI Headquarters
    > > No. 69, Li-De St., Jung-He City, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
    > > Tel: 886-2-3234-5599 (REP)
    > > Fax: 886-2-3234-5488 (REP)
    > > http://www.msi.com.tw
    > >

    > > MSI is not a US based company.

    > In other words, you have no evidence whatsoever for your claim.

    Next time you are bored, it might be amusing to look back a few months
    ago, when certain people in this group were widely trumpeting a
    statement by a representative of ASUS in the UK about EEE sales in the
    UK. Note that ASUS is not a UK company, and this was around the same
    time that ASUS in Taiwan was saying that most demand was for the XP
    version of EEE. See if HPT was in any of those threads, and if so, if
    he had any objection to people taking a UK representatives statements as
    not only applying to the whole world, but also trumping statements from
    headquarters.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    http://gizmodo.com/5058953/linux-net...tions-says-msi

    >> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and havent really
    >> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that
    >> the return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main
    >> cause of that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but
    >> they dont know what they get until they open the box. They start
    >> playing around with Linux and start realizing that its not what they
    >> are used to. They dont want to spend time to learn it so they bring
    >> it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher
    >> for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    > Notice the cola chicken****s are afraid to respond? When Linux netbooks
    > sell decently, the "advocates*" are all over it crowing and clucking.
    > When the hard truth about public rejection of the crapware is revealed,
    > they run and hide.
    >
    > Puh-thet-ick...

    This is a case of crap advertising, not "crapware". If the ad material
    said "This runs Linux. This is not the same as Windows", the potential
    customers would know what's what. Notice that the umpcs have not been
    returned because they are faulty. They're sent back because the customers
    don't want to learn how to use Linux. Which is okay.

  4. Re: Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    Firey Bird wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    http://gizmodo.com/5058953/linux-net...tions-says-msi

    >>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and havent really
    >>> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that
    >>> the return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main
    >>> cause of that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but
    >>> they dont know what they get until they open the box. They start
    >>> playing around with Linux and start realizing that its not what they
    >>> are used to. They dont want to spend time to learn it so they bring
    >>> it back to the store. The return rate is at least four times higher
    >>> for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

    >> Notice the cola chicken****s are afraid to respond? When Linux netbooks
    >> sell decently, the "advocates*" are all over it crowing and clucking.
    >> When the hard truth about public rejection of the crapware is revealed,
    >> they run and hide.
    >>
    >> Puh-thet-ick...

    > This is a case of crap advertising, not "crapware". If the ad material
    > said "This runs Linux. This is not the same as Windows", the potential
    > customers would know what's what. Notice that the umpcs have not been
    > returned because they are faulty. They're sent back because the customers
    > don't want to learn how to use Linux. Which is okay.

    The handful of people I know who bought a netbook all got the Linux
    variety -- and after a short period of getting used to it (an hour or so
    checking out what's what and how to use it), they love it. The best liked
    features are the small size and weight (duh), the fast boot, the stability
    (so far, none of these people has had anything crashing AFAICT), and the
    fact that they don't have to worry about malware whatsoever. Two of these
    people found out that they liked it so much that they now switched their
    desktops to Linux as well.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  5. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >> HPT wrote:

    >>> http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...l&name=aboutus
    >>>

    >>> MSI Headquarters
    >>> No. 69, Li-De St., Jung-He City, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
    >>> Tel: 886-2-3234-5599 (REP)
    >>> Fax: 886-2-3234-5488 (REP)
    >>> http://www.msi.com.tw
    >>>

    >>> MSI is not a US based company.

    >> In other words, you have no evidence whatsoever for your
    >> claim.

    > Next time you are bored, it might be amusing to look back a
    > few months ago, when certain people in this group were widely
    > trumpeting a statement by a representative of ASUS in the UK
    > about EEE sales in the UK. Note that ASUS is not a UK
    > company, and this was around the same time that ASUS in Taiwan
    > was saying that most demand was for the XP version of EEE.
    > See if HPT was in any of those threads, and if so, if he had
    > any objection to people taking a UK representatives statements
    > as not only applying to the whole world, but also trumping
    > statements from headquarters.

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]

    43. Citing vapor postings. Cite the statements that you had
    "intended" to include but never actual written into your past
    posting. Gamble on the possibility that nobody will remember what
    you posted and that nobody will do the research to determine what
    you have posted. If you loose that bet, use another
    disinformation tactic to deflect the results of your using this
    tactic.
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8609fef2e67c5?

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: Richard Rasker
    Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:01:32 +0200
    Subject: Only XP Eee PC's available in stores ...

    .... because people want the Linux version, not the XP version,
    and now the Linux ones are simply sold out:

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/

    Cue the Wintrolls putting their twist to this ;-)
    [article quote]
    Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, she claimed,
    and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better selling
    models. "We think our version of Linux is how we will stand out
    from our competitors," she said.

    That may explain why there aren't any now: they've been sold,
    leaving only the less popular XP models still available to buy.
    [/article quote]

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Firey Bird wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>>

    > http://gizmodo.com/5058953/linux-net...tions-says-msi

    >>> Notice the cola chicken****s are afraid to respond? When Linux
    >>> netbooks sell decently, the "advocates*" are all over it crowing
    >>> and clucking. When the hard truth about public rejection of the
    >>> crapware is revealed, they run and hide.
    >>>
    >>> Puh-thet-ick...

    >> This is a case of crap advertising, not "crapware". If the ad
    >> material said "This runs Linux. This is not the same as Windows",
    >> the potential customers would know what's what. Notice that the
    >> umpcs have not been returned because they are faulty. They're sent
    >> back because the customers don't want to learn how to use Linux.
    >> Which is okay.

    > The handful of people I know who bought a netbook all got the Linux
    > variety -- and after a short period of getting used to it (an hour or
    > so checking out what's what and how to use it), they love it. The
    > best liked features are the small size and weight (duh), the fast
    > boot, the stability (so far, none of these people has had anything
    > crashing AFAICT), and the fact that they don't have to worry about
    > malware whatsoever. Two of these people found out that they liked it
    > so much that they now switched their desktops to Linux as well.

    I don't believe you for one second Rasker. You've been proven a liar
    several times in the past.

    First I don't believe you know a handful of people who bought a netbook, and
    second I don't believe two of them have switched their desktops to Linux as
    a result of their experiences on those little systems.

    I'll leave it to you to prove your claim.

  7. Re: Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    "DFS" writes:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Firey Bird wrote:

    >> http://gizmodo.com/5058953/linux-net...tions-says-msi

    >>> This is a case of crap advertising, not "crapware". If the ad
    >>> material said "This runs Linux. This is not the same as Windows",
    >>> the potential customers would know what's what. Notice that the
    >>> umpcs have not been returned because they are faulty. They're sent
    >>> back because the customers don't want to learn how to use Linux.
    >>> Which is okay.

    >> The handful of people I know who bought a netbook all got the Linux
    >> variety -- and after a short period of getting used to it (an hour or
    >> so checking out what's what and how to use it), they love it. The
    >> best liked features are the small size and weight (duh), the fast
    >> boot, the stability (so far, none of these people has had anything
    >> crashing AFAICT), and the fact that they don't have to worry about
    >> malware whatsoever. Two of these people found out that they liked it
    >> so much that they now switched their desktops to Linux as well.

    > I don't believe you for one second Rasker. You've been proven a liar
    > several times in the past.
    >
    > First I don't believe you know a handful of people who bought a netbook, and
    > second I don't believe two of them have switched their desktops to Linux as
    > a result of their experiences on those little systems.
    >
    > I'll leave it to you to prove your claim.

    Neither do I. Not one word of it. Everything he posts has a bit of a
    pong to it these days.

  8. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    On 2008-10-05, DFS wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 06:02:25 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >> Scramble and mobilize!
    >> The mothership has been hit.
    >>
    >> See the discredit routine in action.
    >>
    >> Come watch our little zoo filled with Linux advocates in action!
    >> The admission is free!

    > A return rate 4x that of Windows?!?!?!
    >
    > That was a great find, Moshe!

    He must read slashdot or something...

    --
    How did irc manage to get so pretentious about civility |||
    of discourse when it doesn't even allow for the free and / | \

  9. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-10-05, DFS wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 06:02:25 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Scramble and mobilize!
    >>> The mothership has been hit.
    >>>
    >>> See the discredit routine in action.
    >>>
    >>> Come watch our little zoo filled with Linux advocates in action!
    >>> The admission is free!

    >> A return rate 4x that of Windows?!?!?!
    >>
    >> That was a great find, Moshe!

    > He must read slashdot or something...

    If he read slashdot, then why didn't anyone post about Linux being 17 years
    old yesterday? Since you must read it, since you know it was on Slashdot.

  10. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    On 2008-10-06, QuantumLeaper wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> A return rate 4x that of Windows?!?!?!
    >>>
    >>> That was a great find, Moshe!

    >> He must read slashdot or something...
    >>

    > If he read slashdot, then why didn't anyone post about Linux being 17 years
    > old yesterday? Since you must read it, since you know it was on Slashdot.

    You mean "Linux Has a Birthday"?

    --
    How did irc manage to get so pretentious about civility |||
    of discourse when it doesn't even allow for the free and / | \
    open exchange of ideas?

  11. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windowsmodels.

    High Plains Thumper espoused:
    > Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> In other words, you have no evidence whatsoever for your
    >>> claim.

    >> Next time you are bored, it might be amusing to look back a
    >> few months ago, when certain people in this group were widely
    >> trumpeting a statement by a representative of ASUS in the UK
    >> about EEE sales in the UK. Note that ASUS is not a UK
    >> company, and this was around the same time that ASUS in Taiwan
    >> was saying that most demand was for the XP version of EEE.
    >> See if HPT was in any of those threads, and if so, if he had
    >> any objection to people taking a UK representatives statements
    >> as not only applying to the whole world, but also trumping
    >> statements from headquarters.

    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    > 43. Citing vapor postings. Cite the statements that you had
    > "intended" to include but never actual written into your past
    > posting. Gamble on the possibility that nobody will remember what
    > you posted and that nobody will do the research to determine what
    > you have posted. If you loose that bet, use another
    > disinformation tactic to deflect the results of your using this
    > tactic.
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8609fef2e67c5?
    >
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > From: Richard Rasker
    > Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:01:32 +0200
    > Subject: Only XP Eee PC's available in stores ...
    >

    > ... because people want the Linux version, not the XP version,
    > and now the Linux ones are simply sold out:
    >
    > http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/
    >
    > Cue the Wintrolls putting their twist to this ;-)
    >

    > [article quote]
    > Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, she claimed,
    > and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better selling
    > models. "We think our version of Linux is how we will stand out
    > from our competitors," she said.
    >
    > That may explain why there aren't any now: they've been sold,
    > leaving only the less popular XP models still available to buy.
    > [/article quote]

    Presumably Asus have done a deal with Microsoft to equalise production
    numbers. Once demand has been established, though, I imagine that Asus
    will stop doing this. They will not want warehouses full of perfectly
    good hardware which they can't sell because they put the wrong OS on it.

  12. Re: Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    Richard Rasker espoused:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >

    > http://gizmodo.com/5058953/linux-net...tions-says-msi
    >>
    >> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven’t really
    >> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the
    >> return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of
    >> that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don’t know
    >> what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with
    >> Linux and start realizing that it’s not what they are used to."

    > People who buy a Linux machine (or have the intention) should get some sort
    > of concise manual explaining that Linux is /not/ Windows, and offering a
    > few tips about the most basic tasks, such as setting up a printer or
    > network connection, or finding and installing particular software.
    > I've seen people trash Linux simply because they didn't understand that it
    > wasn't Windows -- so when they tried installing (Windows) stuff such as
    > printer drivers and favourite applications by downloading and clicking
    > setup.exe files, and naturally failed, they simply concluded that the OS
    > was total crap. One of these people actually managed to fire up Wine -- but
    > still failed to realize what he was working with, and gave up after failing
    > to install MS Office and other Windows applications.
    >
    > This could have been avoided if only they were better informed about Linux.
    > Then they either wouldn't have chosen Linux in the first place, or they
    > would have understood that they were dealing with something new, requiring
    > them to get acquainted with different apps and ways of doing things.

    Our local colleges still have courses teaching "mouse skills" and
    "windows", so it's quite clear that most people haven't got a clue when
    faced with a computer. It would be useful to see these local courses
    teaching "linux" as well as "windows".

    >> "They don’t want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the
    >> store. The return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks
    >> than Windows XP netbooks."

    > This only goes to show that there are lots people blindly making purchases
    > worth hundreds of dollars.

    Or it shows that Linux machines are outselling Windows ones at a huge
    rate, and the rate/sale might be lower than that for Windows. Aren't
    stats great?

  13. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper espoused:
    >> Tim Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Next time you are bored, it might be amusing to look back a few
    >>> months ago, when certain people in this group were widely
    >>> trumpeting a statement by a representative of ASUS in the UK
    >>> about EEE sales in the UK. Note that ASUS is not a UK company,
    >>> and this was around the same time that ASUS in Taiwan was saying
    >>> that most demand was for the XP version of EEE. See if HPT was in
    >>> any of those threads, and if so, if he had any objection to
    >>> people taking a UK representatives statements as not only
    >>> applying to the whole world, but also trumping statements from
    >>> headquarters.

    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >> 43. Citing vapor postings. Cite the statements that you had
    >> "intended" to include but never actual written into your past
    >> posting. Gamble on the possibility that nobody will remember what
    >> you posted and that nobody will do the research to determine what
    >> you have posted. If you loose that bet, use another disinformation
    >> tactic to deflect the results of your using this tactic.
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8609fef2e67c5?
    >>
    >> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >> From: Richard Rasker
    >> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:01:32 +0200
    >> Subject: Only XP Eee PC's available in stores ...

    ... because people want the Linux version, not the XP
    >> version, and now the Linux ones are simply sold out:
    >>
    >> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/
    >>
    >> Cue the Wintrolls putting their twist to this ;-)
    >>
    >> [article quote] Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers,
    >> she claimed, and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the
    >> better selling models. "We think our version of Linux is how we
    >> will stand out from our competitors," she said.
    >>
    >> That may explain why there aren't any now: they've been sold,
    >> leaving only the less popular XP models still available to buy.
    >> [/article quote]

    > Presumably Asus have done a deal with Microsoft to equalise
    > production numbers. Once demand has been established, though, I
    > imagine that Asus will stop doing this. They will not want
    > warehouses full of perfectly good hardware which they can't sell
    > because they put the wrong OS on it.

    Profits are important, the Linux version is a profit maker and UK has
    been burned before with unprofitable Microsoft products:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....59346ac826503?

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    From: "[H]omer"
    Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:39:12 +0100
    Subject: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista

    ..----
    | While Microsoft continues to praise the market success of its
    | latest operating system, the number of critical voices and negative
    | comments on sales figures for Vista continues to rise. Now, the
    | Dixon Store Group (DSG), a British retail chain, has released
    | specific figures. The firm says that it earned 20 million pounds
    | less in the first two quarters of the year because sales of Vista
    | products did not meet expectations.
    |
    | The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    | brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    | says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    | than were put on inventory.
    `----

    It was also verfied in

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...a-million-lost

    or http://tinyurl.com/6xuk8w

    DSG blames Vista for 20 million in lost profit
    Damp squib
    By Paul Hales: Thursday, 18 October 2007, 12:49 PM

    UK RETAIL OUTFIT, DSG has issued a profit warning blaming Microsoft's
    Vista for 20 million in lost profit.

    Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group which runs PC World and Currys
    shops, having largely ditched the Dixons label, said: "Vista just didn't
    capture the imagination as much as previous versions of Windows."
    Although sales volumes have been good, he said, "We've not seen the huge
    rush that we would have hoped for."

    Webb said very few people were buying boxed copies of Vista, feeling it
    was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul also hit sales
    of new PCs, the company complained.
    20 million ($35M US) is a lot of quid and according to the article a
    lack of imagination. Besides, I like Beryl because it is lighter and
    combined with Linux works on hardware that would struggle under Vista.

    One doesn't need a 20 pound calculator to do 40 pounds of work. :-)

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  14. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    >>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    >>> 43. Citing vapor postings. Cite the statements that you had
    >>> "intended" to include but never actual written into your past
    >>> posting. Gamble on the possibility that nobody will remember what
    >>> you posted and that nobody will do the research to determine what
    >>> you have posted. If you loose that bet, use another disinformation
    >>> tactic to deflect the results of your using this tactic.
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8609fef2e67c5?
    >>>
    >>> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>> From: Richard Rasker
    >>> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:01:32 +0200
    >>> Subject: Only XP Eee PC's available in stores ...

    ... because people want the Linux version, not the XP
    >>> version, and now the Linux ones are simply sold out:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07...ee_901_famine/
    >>>
    >>> Cue the Wintrolls putting their twist to this ;-)
    >>>
    >>> [article quote] Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers,
    >>> she claimed, and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the
    >>> better selling models. "We think our version of Linux is how we
    >>> will stand out from our competitors," she said.
    >>>
    >>> That may explain why there aren't any now: they've been sold,
    >>> leaving only the less popular XP models still available to
    >>> buy. [/article quote]

    >> Presumably Asus have done a deal with Microsoft to equalise
    >> production numbers. Once demand has been established, though, I

    When Mark Kent says "presumably" we can deduce instantly that he is
    making things up and talking rubbish.

    >> imagine that Asus will stop doing this. They will not want
    >> warehouses full of perfectly good hardware which they can't sell
    >> because they put the wrong OS on it.

    > Profits are important, the Linux version is a profit maker and UK has
    > been burned before with unprofitable Microsoft products:

    But never with Linux PCs?

    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....59346ac826503?
    >
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > From: "[H]omer"
    > Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:39:12 +0100
    > Subject: [News] [Rival] Dixons Group lost 20 million on Vista
    >

    > .----
    > | While Microsoft continues to praise the market success of its
    > | latest operating system, the number of critical voices and negative
    > | comments on sales figures for Vista continues to rise. Now, the
    > | Dixon Store Group (DSG), a British retail chain, has released
    > | specific figures. The firm says that it earned 20 million pounds
    > | less in the first two quarters of the year because sales of Vista
    > | products did not meet expectations.
    > |
    > | The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
    > | brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
    > | says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
    > | than were put on inventory.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...655/from/rss09
    >

    > It was also verfied in
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...a-million-lost
    >
    > or http://tinyurl.com/6xuk8w
    >

    > DSG blames Vista for £20 million in lost profit
    > Damp squib
    > By Paul Hales: Thursday, 18 October 2007, 12:49 PM
    >
    > UK RETAIL OUTFIT, DSG has issued a profit warning blaming Microsoft's
    > Vista for £20 million in lost profit.
    >
    > Mark Webb, a spokesman for the group which runs PC World and Currys
    > shops, having largely ditched the Dixons label, said: "Vista just
    > didn't capture the imagination as much as previous versions of
    > Windows." Although sales volumes have been good, he said, "We've not

    "have been good"

    > seen the huge rush that we would have hoped for."
    >
    > Webb said very few people were buying boxed copies of Vista, feeling
    > it was hardly worth upgrading from XP. The weedy OS overhaul also hit
    > sales of new PCs, the company complained.
    >

    > £20 million ($35M US) is a lot of quid and according to the article a
    > lack of imagination. Besides, I like Beryl because it is lighter and
    > combined with Linux works on hardware that would struggle under Vista.
    >
    > One doesn't need a 20 pound calculator to do 40 pounds of work. :-)

    One would assume you meant the other way around.

  15. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-10-06, QuantumLeaper wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> He must read slashdot or something...
    >>>

    >> If he read slashdot, then why didn't anyone post about Linux being 17
    >> years
    >> old yesterday? Since you must read it, since you know it was on
    >> Slashdot.

    > You mean "Linux Has a Birthday"?

    Just wonder why not one Linux advocate here, said anything about Linux being
    around 17 years. I didn't read it first on Slashdot but they did have some
    of the better comments from the reader though.

  16. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    QuantumLeaper wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-10-06, QuantumLeaper wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> If he read slashdot, then why didn't anyone post about Linux being 17
    >>> years
    >>> old yesterday? Since you must read it, since you know it was on
    >>> Slashdot.

    >> You mean "Linux Has a Birthday"?
    >>

    > Just wonder why not one Linux advocate here, said anything about Linux
    > being around 17 years.

    Well, is it somehow important that 17 years ago Linus Torvalds came up with
    the first kernel? Linux has evolved a lot since then, and it is here to
    stay

    --
    The UNIX Guru`s view of Sex:
    unzip; strip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; umount; sleep

  17. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    ... because people want the Linux version, not the XP

    >>> Presumably Asus have done a deal with Microsoft to equalise
    >>> production numbers. Once demand has been established, though, I

    > When Mark Kent says "presumably" we can deduce instantly that he is
    > making things up and talking rubbish.

    Spoken presumptuously as illustrated in:

    ]quote] 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No matter how
    little you understand of the issues being discussed in a thread, post
    anyway. If you don't know what you are talking about just pretend that
    you do. [/quote]

    >>> imagine that Asus will stop doing this. They will not want
    >>> warehouses full of perfectly good hardware which they can't sell
    >>> because they put the wrong OS on it.

    >> Profits are important, the Linux version is a profit maker and UK
    >> has been burned before with unprofitable Microsoft products:

    > But never with Linux PCs?

    http://www.thelinuxshop.co.uk/catalo...x.php?cPath=30

    Linux PC

    Buy a Linux PC and say goodbye to expensive software and restrictive
    licensing. Alternatively, create your own Linux PC with our range of
    Linux CD's.

    Linux Desktop PC £199.99 Buy Now
    http://efficientpc.co.uk/

    Linux based computing made simple
    Quality, stylish and efficient computing solutions

    EfficientPC believes in freedom, in every sense of the word; in
    providing our customers with fully customisable, stylish and efficient
    computing solutions. We stand out as a different breed from our
    competitors with our strong ethical roots and commitment to the Free
    Software community.
    http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/11/...nux-in-the-uk/

    Shuttle now selling its XPC PC’s with SUSE Linux in the UK
    November 17, 2007

    Shuttle is now selling two versions of its XPC with SUSE Linux in the UK.

    “After the market launch of the Linux-based Complete Systems in Germany
    in September, we have received many enquiries from the UK”, explains Tom
    Seiffert, Head of Marketing & PR at Shuttle Computer Handels GmbH. “We
    are already planning our expansion into other European countries.”
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  18. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 05:22:50 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics [...]
    ... because people want the Linux version, not the XP

    >> When Mark Kent says "presumably" we can deduce instantly that he is
    >> making things up and talking rubbish.

    > Spoken presumptuously as illustrated in:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > ]quote] 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics
    >
    > 48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No matter how
    > little you understand of the issues being discussed in a thread, post
    > anyway. If you don't know what you are talking about just pretend that
    > you do. [/quote]

    >>> Profits are important, the Linux version is a profit maker and UK
    >>> has been burned before with unprofitable Microsoft products:

    >> But never with Linux PCs?

    > http://www.thelinuxshop.co.uk/catalo...x.php?cPath=30

    Linux PC

    > Buy a Linux PC and say goodbye to expensive software and restrictive
    > licensing. Alternatively, create your own Linux PC with our range of
    > Linux CD's.
    >
    > Linux Desktop PC 199.99 Buy Now
    >
    > http://efficientpc.co.uk/

    Linux based computing made simple
    > Quality, stylish and efficient computing solutions
    >
    > EfficientPC believes in freedom, in every sense of the word; in
    > providing our customers with fully customisable, stylish and efficient
    > computing solutions. We stand out as a different breed from our
    > competitors with our strong ethical roots and commitment to the Free
    > Software community.
    >
    > http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/11/...nux-in-the-uk/

    Shuttle now selling its XPC PCs with SUSE Linux in the UK
    > November 17, 2007
    >
    > Shuttle is now selling two versions of its XPC with SUSE Linux in the UK.
    >
    > After the market launch of the Linux-based Complete Systems in Germany
    > in September, we have received many enquiries from the UK, explains Tom
    > Seiffert, Head of Marketing & PR at Shuttle Computer Handels GmbH. We
    > are already planning our expansion into other European countries.

    As an aside:
    Tesco are selling PCs with pre-installed Ubuntu.

    (From 2007)
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...nux-on-the-up/

    They did so well, that they now include Linux PCs in their "Tesco Direct"
    2008 catalog.

    Dell Inspiron Z530 mini notebook spotted in Tesco -
    ".....runs on Linux Ubuntu rather than Windows XP. Theres 1GB of memory
    and a standard 40GB hard drive inside, plus a trio of USB ports available."

    http://www.techdigest.tv/2008/09/dell_tesco_brin.html

    No doubt Quack will be gnashing his teeth, as the machine won't be running
    his pet M$ OS tripe.

  19. Re: (US) Linux Netbooks have 4 times the return rate of Windows models.

    On 2008-10-07, QuantumLeaper wrote:

    > Just wonder why not one Linux advocate here, said anything about Linux being
    > around 17 years. I didn't read it first on Slashdot but they did have some
    > of the better comments from the reader though.

    Maybe because we have a life?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.