Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead - Linux

This is a discussion on Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead - Linux ; On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:34:53 +0200, Hadron wrote: > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes: > >> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:14:41 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote: >> >> >>> He's a troll. He has to manufacturer controversy, rather than politely >>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:34:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:14:41 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>

    >>> He's a troll. He has to manufacturer controversy, rather than politely
    >>> pointing out contrary evidence, and trying to sort it all out in a
    >>> civilized manner.

    >> That's a perfect description of Schestowitz.

    > And Liarnut knows full well (or maybe doesnt because he never reads the
    > articles he follows up to or shills) I was more than polite considering
    > the abusive feedback I got when SHOWING how to get the CORRECT numbers.
    >
    > But then Liarnut is a fraud and a bull ****ter. "Messin' wid da
    > code". LOL. What a phoney.

    LiarMutt has proved himself to be a boob of the highest order.
    He squawks and squawks but never really says anything.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...9B1HKJG0TFTZYT
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> And oh, there's Vista. Well, sort of, anyway, somewhere at the bottom,
    >> with just around 5 percent of sales, and apparently still dropping.

    > If you have the time/inclination, is it possible for you to do a similar
    > exercise on Amazon.co.uk, and compare results?

    Sure, although the UK ranking page doesn't mention Linux right away, but
    only after clicking product details:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestselle...f=pd_ts_ce_nav

    > I'd do it myself, but I'm now quite lost on what you did to come up with
    > all that!

    Using my spreadsheet is fairly straightforward. In the "OS" column, simply
    fill in "XP", "Vista", "Linux", or "Mac" in the correct ranking order, and
    an estimate of sales percentages comes out (row 30, columns F through J),
    together with the total number of times it is found in the ranking (row 29,
    columns F through J).

    The calculation of the estimates isn't exactly rocket science either.
    Lacking actual sales numbers, all that can be said for certain is that a
    particular item in the ranking list has a smaller sales percentage than its
    predecessor, and a higher sales percentage than its successor. Duh.
    The only thing one can realistically do in these cases is search for a
    continuously declining function which best matches known sales ratios of a
    large number of products in a homogenous market. At first, I chose an
    e-power curve (e^(1-(r/n)), with r=ranking and n=number of models -- like a
    capacitor discharging through a resistor) because that's a very common
    natural function; however Tim Smith noted that in this area, in inverted
    power curve is a better choice (r^(-k), with k = 25 divided by the number
    of models), so I have that one included as well -- and perhaps I should
    drop the e-power curve altogether.
    The "number of models" parameter is a simple way to make the function
    decline quicker or slower; it's probably lower than the actual number of
    models offered (hence my default value of 50 instead of the actual hundreds
    or thousands), but it is related to this number all the same.

    The power functions by themselves return arbitrary values, not percentages;
    these values are converted into percentages by dividing them by the sum
    total of the column and multiplying by 100.

    > I suspect (could well be wrong) that the UK results are rather different.

    One of the striking differences is that the XP/Vista ratio is exactly the
    opposite of Amazon's US sales; the list is even headed by a machine running
    Vista Home Basic, the Vista version which even Vista fanbois despise. The
    same number flip seems to apply to Linux and Macs. This is rather odd, as I
    understood that Linux netbooks were particularly popular in the UK (up to
    the point of being sold out).

    But here ya go, the sales estimates of Amazon UK, based on the above ranking
    (and please correct me if I got the wrong list once again):

    http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve_uk.ods

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  3. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > bbgruff wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>

    >>> Here's the current state of sales, OS-wise, at Amazon's (and this time,
    >>> it's the full list, not just the "in stock" list). No big changes in the
    >>> actual ranking, with XP still firmly at the top, and Linux a solid
    >>> second, with estimated sales between 20 and 25 percent. Apple's not doing
    >>> bad too, with approximately 10% of sales:
    >>>

    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...9B1HKJG0TFTZYT
    >>> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>>
    >>> And oh, there's Vista. Well, sort of, anyway, somewhere at the bottom,
    >>> with just around 5 percent of sales, and apparently still dropping.

    >> If you have the time/inclination, is it possible for you to do a similar
    >> exercise on Amazon.co.uk, and compare results?

    > Sure, although the UK ranking page doesn't mention Linux right away, but
    > only after clicking product details:
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestselle...f=pd_ts_ce_nav
    >
    >> I'd do it myself, but I'm now quite lost on what you did to come up with
    >> all that!

    > Using my spreadsheet is fairly straightforward. In the "OS" column, simply
    > fill in "XP", "Vista", "Linux", or "Mac" in the correct ranking order, and
    > an estimate of sales percentages comes out (row 30, columns F through J),
    > together with the total number of times it is found in the ranking (row 29,
    > columns F through J).
    >
    > The calculation of the estimates isn't exactly rocket science either.
    > Lacking actual sales numbers, all that can be said for certain is that a
    > particular item in the ranking list has a smaller sales percentage than its
    > predecessor, and a higher sales percentage than its successor. Duh.

    And then you throw in the blac maginc which is totally and utterly
    meaningless without some statistical samples to prove the validity of
    your predictive equations.

    > The only thing one can realistically do in these cases is search for a
    > continuously declining function which best matches known sales ratios of a
    > large number of products in a homogenous market.

    There is no other market similar

    This is Operating System on laptops.

    Pepper grinders in Texas figures bare no relation. None.

  4. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:34:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> That's a perfect description of Schestowitz.

    >> And Liarnut knows full well (or maybe doesnt because he never reads the
    >> articles he follows up to or shills) I was more than polite considering
    >> the abusive feedback I got when SHOWING how to get the CORRECT numbers.
    >>
    >> But then Liarnut is a fraud and a bull ****ter. "Messin' wid da
    >> code". LOL. What a phoney.

    > LiarMutt has proved himself to be a boob of the highest order.
    > He squawks and squawks but never really says anything.

    What about his sage advice on it "depending on the application type"
    when considering the API? Classic "no information" hot air from COLAs
    resident techy!

  5. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:01:54 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> And Liarnut knows full well (or maybe doesnt because he never reads the
    >>> articles he follows up to or shills) I was more than polite considering
    >>> the abusive feedback I got when SHOWING how to get the CORRECT numbers.
    >>>
    >>> But then Liarnut is a fraud and a bull ****ter. "Messin' wid da
    >>> code". LOL. What a phoney.

    >> LiarMutt has proved himself to be a boob of the highest order.
    >> He squawks and squawks but never really says anything.

    > What about his sage advice on it "depending on the application type"
    > when considering the API? Classic "no information" hot air from COLAs
    > resident techy!

    Yea.
    LiarMutt should stick to licking Roy's, err, boots and leave the technical
    stuff to people who know what they are talking about.
    Which is the Windows users, at least in this group.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> bbgruff wrote:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...9B1HKJG0TFTZYT

    >>> If you have the time/inclination, is it possible for you to do a similar
    >>> exercise on Amazon.co.uk, and compare results?

    >> Sure, although the UK ranking page doesn't mention Linux right away, but
    >> only after clicking product details:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestselle...f=pd_ts_ce_nav

    >>> I'd do it myself, but I'm now quite lost on what you did to come up with
    >>> all that!

    >> Using my spreadsheet is fairly straightforward. In the "OS" column,
    >> simply fill in "XP", "Vista", "Linux", or "Mac" in the correct ranking
    >> order, and an estimate of sales percentages comes out (row 30, columns F
    >> through J), together with the total number of times it is found in the
    >> ranking (row 29, columns F through J).
    >>
    >> The calculation of the estimates isn't exactly rocket science either.
    >> Lacking actual sales numbers, all that can be said for certain is that a
    >> particular item in the ranking list has a smaller sales percentage than
    >> its predecessor, and a higher sales percentage than its successor. Duh.

    > And then you throw in the blac maginc which is totally and utterly
    > meaningless without some statistical samples to prove the validity of
    > your predictive equations.

    This is no "black magic". I simply relied on common sense, which may be why
    it confuses you. Sure, it's an estimate, and not an exact figure, but with
    thousands of items on sale, the laws of statistics leave only limited room
    for possible outcomes, which by no means are "meaningless".
    Unless, of course, something really weird is going on, such as the #1 on the
    list accounting for at least 50% of sales, with the other 2,671
    items /together/ accounting for the other 50%. But that's a very unlikely
    distribution.

    >> The only thing one can realistically do in these cases is search for a
    >> continuously declining function which best matches known sales ratios of
    >> a large number of products in a homogenous market.

    > There is no other market similar

    So you're suggesting that sales figures of laptops are fundamentally
    unpredictable, and don't follow common economic laws? Or that a lower
    ranking laptop can actually outsell a higher ranking laptop? Well, I guess
    that Erwin Schrödinger would have been absolutely thrilled to hear about
    this real-life proof of quantum states. And no doubt lots of fictitious
    cats would share his enthusiasm.

    > This is Operating System on laptops.
    >
    > Pepper grinders in Texas figures bare no relation. None.

    ("bare"? Surely you mean "bear"?) Indeed they don't, and neither do wing
    nuts in Siberia.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  7. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker writes:

    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...9B1HKJG0TFTZYT

    >>> Sure, although the UK ranking page doesn't mention Linux right away, but
    >>> only after clicking product details:
    >>>

    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestselle...f=pd_ts_ce_nav

    >>> Using my spreadsheet is fairly straightforward. In the "OS" column,
    >>> simply fill in "XP", "Vista", "Linux", or "Mac" in the correct ranking
    >>> order, and an estimate of sales percentages comes out (row 30, columns F
    >>> through J), together with the total number of times it is found in the
    >>> ranking (row 29, columns F through J).
    >>>
    >>> The calculation of the estimates isn't exactly rocket science either.
    >>> Lacking actual sales numbers, all that can be said for certain is that a
    >>> particular item in the ranking list has a smaller sales percentage than
    >>> its predecessor, and a higher sales percentage than its successor. Duh.

    >> And then you throw in the blac maginc which is totally and utterly
    >> meaningless without some statistical samples to prove the validity of
    >> your predictive equations.

    > This is no "black magic". I simply relied on common sense, which may
    > be why

    The same common sense which had you reporting the wrong numbers from
    Amazon not once but twice?

    > it confuses you. Sure, it's an estimate, and not an exact figure, but with
    > thousands of items on sale, the laws of statistics leave only limited room
    > for possible outcomes

    There are no "laws of statistics" that must be applicable here. Every
    case can very well be outside of these margins. Your figures are based
    on nothing even remotely related.

    Example : In my local the "Top Selling" Whiskey is Jamieson. Second
    is some scottish cheap garbage called Bells. Third is Famous
    Grouse. **** selection I am sure you will agree.

    The Grouse is sold at the rate of about a bottle a year. The Jamison
    about 4 bottles a week. The Bells about a bottle every month.

    Correlate that.

    You cant. Why? Because its totally different market and requirements
    than the beer taps for example.

    You are talking garbage.

    And you were basing your wrong numbers on wrong positions in the first
    place.

    I am always ready to come and correct your little Porky Pies Richard so
    do go on ......

  8. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    [snip]

    >>> And then you throw in the blac maginc which is totally and utterly
    >>> meaningless without some statistical samples to prove the validity of
    >>> your predictive equations.

    >> This is no "black magic". I simply relied on common sense, which may
    >> be why

    > The same common sense which had you reporting the wrong numbers from
    > Amazon not once but twice?

    Indeed. If you're quite certain that you've found a page with particular
    information, it's common sense to stop searching.

    >> it confuses you. Sure, it's an estimate, and not an exact figure, but
    >> with thousands of items on sale, the laws of statistics leave only
    >> limited room for possible outcomes

    > There are no "laws of statistics" that must be applicable here. Every
    > case can very well be outside of these margins. Your figures are based
    > on nothing even remotely related.
    >
    > Example : In my local the "Top Selling" Whiskey is Jamieson. Second
    > is some scottish cheap garbage called Bells. Third is Famous
    > Grouse. **** selection I am sure you will agree.
    >
    > The Grouse is sold at the rate of about a bottle a year. The Jamison
    > about 4 bottles a week. The Bells about a bottle every month.
    >
    > Correlate that.
    >
    > You cant. Why? Because its totally different market and requirements
    > than the beer taps for example.

    No, not because the market is different, but because the numbers you
    contribute are statistically totally insignificant.
    If your boozer would have 2,500 types of whisk(e)y on offer, and sold
    hundreds or thousands of bottles (or even glasses) every day, and over half
    a continent, the resulting ranking would actually be quite representative
    of the population's preference for each type of whisky. Alternatively, one
    could collect data for half a century to get statistically significant
    results from your sales figures.

    Amazon has well over 2,000 different laptops on offer, and no doubt sells
    hundreds every day. Combined with the fact that their ranking doesn't show
    weird discontinuities (large position shifts in a short amount of time)
    makes it extremely likely that their laptop sales follow the same
    statistical and economic laws as other goods in a homogenous market.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  9. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:34:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > And Liarnut knows full well (or maybe doesnt because he never reads the
    > articles he follows up to or shills) I was more than polite considering
    > the abusive feedback I got when SHOWING how to get the CORRECT numbers.

    It's how you presented it - in your typical snotty, sneering asshole
    fashion.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....What goes around usually picks up momentum!

  10. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:33:30 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Actually I have been right nearly every time it has come to fact
    > checking in COLA.

    There's those Captain Queeg tendencies coming out again...
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....*/ --Tribble with a lightsaber

  11. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    news:48e7e49d$0$724$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.inter nl.net...

    > Amazon has well over 2,000 different laptops on offer, and no doubt sells
    > hundreds every day. Combined with the fact that their ranking doesn't show
    > weird discontinuities (large position shifts in a short amount of time)
    > makes it extremely likely that their laptop sales follow the same
    > statistical and economic laws as other goods in a homogenous market.

    I tried Amazon's site using http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc which I
    get just by following the bread crumb links and it shows that, of the top
    ten sellers, all are mini-laptops of one or two brands, all of which, save
    one, use XP. That is except for the one that is an LCD monitor and not a
    computer at all, and the other that is an LCD HD television set. The lone
    Linux mini-laptop is in seventh place.

    Now maybe that would show a surge in Linux, maybe not, but it would show the
    death of standard laptops of any kind. I really doubt that is the case.
    Another curiousity on the Amazon site is that the most deeply discounted
    machines from list are Linux machines. Are they having trouble getting rid
    of them?

  12. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Sinister Midget belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-04, Tattoo Vampire claimed:
    >
    >> You ****ing idiot. He posted days ago that you were correct. What the ****
    >> do you want him to do, fall down on his knees and worship you?
    >>
    >> Stupid bastard.

    > Quack's almost never right. S/H/It's going to take advantage of the
    > one or two times s/h/it's ever been right whenever s/h/it can.
    >
    > I think a far more rewarding career for Quirk would be to find a job.
    > Or go find another of s/h/it's species and do the nasty with it.

    Already happened. Check out the unfiltered COLA stats.

    A me-too mutual-masturbation ménage between Moshe and "Sidecar".

    --
    Of course I can keep secrets. It's the people I tell them to that
    can't keep them. -Anthony Haden-Guest

  13. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Sinister Midget writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-04, Tattoo Vampire claimed:
    >>
    >>> You ****ing idiot. He posted days ago that you were correct. What the ****
    >>> do you want him to do, fall down on his knees and worship you?
    >>>
    >>> Stupid bastard.

    >> Quack's almost never right. S/H/It's going to take advantage of the
    >> one or two times s/h/it's ever been right whenever s/h/it can.

    > Actually I have been right nearly every time it has come to fact
    > checking in COLA.

    *splorf*

    > And I'm also right when I say you're a loony know
    > nothing who is only good for shilling other peoples lies and fantasy
    > worlds here in COLA.

    So says "Moshe Goldfarb"'s sidecar.

    >> I think a far more rewarding career for Quirk would be to find a job.
    >> Or go find another of s/h/it's species and do the nasty with it.

    > Or maybe sit in here telling lies about Linux adoption eh? Like Rasker
    > did and BOTH times I called him on it and was correct. Didn't mean all
    > the yes men came and apologised for calling me a liar though did it?
    >
    > Oh no!

    More self-important confabulation and misrepresentation from Hadron Queeg.

    What a guy.

    --
    It's easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.

  14. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> There is no other market similar

    > So you're suggesting that sales figures of laptops are fundamentally
    > unpredictable, and don't follow common economic laws? Or that a lower
    > ranking laptop can actually outsell a higher ranking laptop? Well, I guess
    > that Erwin Schrödinger would have been absolutely thrilled to hear about
    > this real-life proof of quantum states. And no doubt lots of fictitious
    > cats would share his enthusiasm.

    Well, it appears clear that, in addition to being COLA's finest (and
    nicest!) Linux advocate, he is also an expert in quantum
    mechanics. Hence the adoption of the Hadron moniker, by now a watchword
    in quality posting, relentless fact-checking, and a completely
    independent point of view.

    Hey Hadron, I got a few Hamiltonians for you to calculate.

    --
    "Hey, somebody pound Chris's back! He's choking!"

  15. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tattoo Vampire belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 20:34:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> And Liarnut knows full well (or maybe doesnt because he never reads the
    >> articles he follows up to or shills) I was more than polite considering
    >> the abusive feedback I got when SHOWING how to get the CORRECT numbers.

    > It's how you presented it - in your typical snotty, sneering asshole
    > fashion.

    Hadron's basically full of it. Most of what he said is bull****, where
    it is not simply insulting. Everybody knows that but him.

    And being correct on occasion doesn't make up for the continual insults
    and general unpleasantness of this troll poster. He's a waste of time.
    He belongs on the playground.

    --
    For external use only.

  16. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    "amicus_curious" writes:

    > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    > news:48e7e49d$0$724$7ade8c0d@textreader.nntp.inter nl.net...
    >>
    >> Amazon has well over 2,000 different laptops on offer, and no doubt sells
    >> hundreds every day. Combined with the fact that their ranking doesn't show
    >> weird discontinuities (large position shifts in a short amount of time)
    >> makes it extremely likely that their laptop sales follow the same
    >> statistical and economic laws as other goods in a homogenous market.
    >>

    > I tried Amazon's site using http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc
    > which I get just by following the bread crumb links and it shows that,
    > of the top ten sellers, all are mini-laptops of one or two brands, all
    > of which, save one, use XP. That is except for the one that is an LCD
    > monitor and not a computer at all, and the other that is an LCD HD
    > television set. The lone Linux mini-laptop is in seventh place.

    Yes.

    I posted simple instructions to take the "easy" route.

    Basically : computers, laptops, best seller.

    Tricky I know. But how can one expect them to follow that?

    > Now maybe that would show a surge in Linux, maybe not, but it would
    > show the death of standard laptops of any kind. I really doubt that
    > is the case. Another curiousity on the Amazon site is that the most
    > deeply discounted machines from list are Linux machines. Are they
    > having trouble getting rid of them?

    They are probably the returned ones.

    The big problem is that which I explained in any earlier post. As they
    get more powerful the border shift. Suddenly people do want skype with
    video support and .....

    Aw Shucks.

    You get the picture.

  17. Re: Weekly Amazon laptop line-up: Linux 20-25% of sales, Vista all but dead

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    >If you read the previous thread(s), you'll find that there was no
    >mudslinging whatsoever on my behalf -- I recall, however, one rather
    >obnoxious person who kicked off shouting "liar" and "idiot" right away,
    >without knowing for himself why my list differed from the one he got.

    Yep. It's Quack who lied, with his claims that you made you numbers
    up. It's Quack who lied when he called you a liar. It's Quack who
    lied when he claimed that others called HIM a liar when he challenged
    your numbers - the only person being called a "liar" over the numbers
    was you.

    To call Quack a POS really does not do him justice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2