[News] Preview of Ubuntu 8.10 Beta, Android Linux Platform - Linux

  1. [News] Preview of Ubuntu 8.10 Beta, Android Linux Platform

    First Look at Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Beta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The next version of Ubuntu's free Linux operating system, dubbed "Intrepid
    | Ibex," is due out Oct. 30, but the beta release is up for grabs. Although the
    | desktop hasn't been reshaped, the features tweaked just a little bit, and
    | most of the work focused on compatibility and usability (not that those are
    | bad things, by any means), there are still some neat new tools and tweaks
    | that are worth checking out. Read on for our picture-filled take on the new
    | Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://lifehacker.com/5058730/first-...epid-ibex-beta

    First Impressions of Google Android

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google's Android mobile operating system holds a lot of promise for
    | developers. Key features in Android include the ability for all applications
    | to work together and to run in parallel.
    |
    | The picture on the emulator Web site certainly looks intriguing. That was my
    | first impression of Android, Google’s new operating system for handheld
    | devices. The image I saw reminded me of Windows Vista, with a clock gadget
    | and some folder icons on it.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...oogle-Android/

    Recent:

    Is Android Google's Ticket into the Enterprise?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google Inc.'s Android project could be the start of a much larger enterprise
    | strategy, according to one industry analyst. But before the search engine
    | giant can threaten Microsoft's enterprise supremacy, most observers of
    | wireless industry efforts agree that the company's open source OS platform
    | will need to regain support from its development community.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/15130...nterprise.html

    Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling. *"Once you have devices
    | out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
    | potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said. *"[T]here's a
    | single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
    | far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide." * *
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...to-beat-iphone

    iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
    | source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
    | overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
    | outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android. *
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...open-sour.html

  2. Re: [News] Preview of Ubuntu 8.10 Beta, Android Linux Platform

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > First Look at Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Beta
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The next version of Ubuntu's free Linux operating system, dubbed "Intrepid
    > | Ibex," is due out Oct. 30, but the beta release is up for grabs. Although the
    > | desktop hasn't been reshaped, the features tweaked just a little bit, and
    > | most of the work focused on compatibility and usability (not that those are
    > | bad things, by any means)

    Thats strange. Most of COLA said that only "Idiots" need those things
    and that it was a waste of time. Indeed, people are on record in COLA as
    saying there is nothing wrong with the way it is.

    Not they are not "bad things, by any means".

    The are extremely important to any Man Machine interface.

    Once more - COLA wrong, rest of the world correct.

+ Reply to Thread