Problems after kernel "upgrade" - Linux

This is a discussion on Problems after kernel "upgrade" - Linux ; An app called TrueCrypt kept complaining about my Ubuntu kernel; it wanted 2.6.24. I "upgraded" the kernel according to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=646755 and TrueCrypt quit complaining. My video card: Leadtek GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A180 ...

  1. Problems after kernel "upgrade"

    An app called TrueCrypt kept complaining about my Ubuntu kernel; it
    wanted 2.6.24. I "upgraded" the kernel according to

    and TrueCrypt quit complaining. My video card:

    Leadtek GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR,
    128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A180 B T" -RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Chipset/Core Speed: GeForce MX4000/275MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/400MHz
    BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin
    D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video+Composite Out)
    Support 3D API: DirectXB.7.1, OpenGLB.1.3
    Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz

    was not recognized. My monitor now appears to be viewing the center
    of a larger screen. That is, there is some margin of a fraction of an
    inch of display that is beyond the reach of my monitor.

    Can I fix this without new hardware? If so, how?

    If not, how do I "downgrade" the kernel?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Problems after kernel "upgrade"

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:43:34 -0700 (PDT), user.ubuntu@yahoo.com wrote:

    > An app called TrueCrypt kept complaining about my Ubuntu kernel; it
    > wanted 2.6.24. I "upgraded" the kernel according to

    > and TrueCrypt quit complaining. My video card:
    >

    > Leadtek GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR,
    > 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A180 B T" -RETAIL
    > Specifications:
    > Chipset/Core Speed: GeForce MX4000/275MHz
    > Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/400MHz
    > BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
    > Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin
    > D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video+Composite Out)
    > Support 3D API: DirectXB.7.1, OpenGLB.1.3
    > Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
    > Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz
    >
    > was not recognized. My monitor now appears to be viewing the center
    > of a larger screen. That is, there is some margin of a fraction of an
    > inch of display that is beyond the reach of my monitor.
    >
    > Can I fix this without new hardware? If so, how?
    >
    > If not, how do I "downgrade" the kernel?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Gee, I just had a similar problem upgrading to the RT kernel using
    Ubuntu...

    The idiots in COLA called me a liar despite all the posts in the Ubuntu
    forums with people having the same or similar problems.

    The new kernel should have appeared in your Grub menu when you boot, along
    with your older kernel.

    Just select the older kernel when you boot and all should be fine.

    At least on my system, Ubuntu managed to leave that one alone.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Problems after kernel "upgrade"

    On 2008-10-03, user.ubuntu@yahoo.com wrote:
    > An app called TrueCrypt kept complaining about my Ubuntu kernel; it
    > wanted 2.6.24. I "upgraded" the kernel according to

    > and TrueCrypt quit complaining. My video card:
    >

    > Leadtek GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 128MB DDR,
    > 128-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "A180 B T" -RETAIL
    > Specifications:
    > Chipset/Core Speed: GeForce MX4000/275MHz
    > Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/400MHz
    > BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
    > Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin
    > D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video+Composite Out)
    > Support 3D API: DirectXB.7.1, OpenGLB.1.3
    > Cable/Accessories: Driver CD
    > Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz
    >
    > was not recognized. My monitor now appears to be viewing the center
    > of a larger screen. That is, there is some margin of a fraction of an
    > inch of display that is beyond the reach of my monitor.
    >
    > Can I fix this without new hardware? If so, how?

    How did you install your original video drivers?

    Repeating that procedure would be a good start?

    Don't remember that? Download the drivers from nvidia (pretend you're
    using Windows) and install those.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \