A Debian stinker - Linux

This is a discussion on A Debian stinker - Linux ; Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that they are mostly crap. Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. A Debian stinker

    Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
    open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
    they are mostly crap.

    Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found
    in Debian. I don't mean to pick on the project itself, although it
    apparently is broken. Instead, I'm wondering why heck it is in Debian
    in a broken state.

    The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
    periodically.

    I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
    non-existent version of the imlib library. So I go to debian.org and
    get the original package, with the dsc and diff files. Unpack the
    project, and the build fails. A couple of modules had source-code
    control strings that were split, and one module had a static function
    defined after it was called. After these easy fixes it built,
    installed, and ran.

    It has a gtk-1 GUI, ugly but serviceable. It can't handle PNG
    wallpapers, but otherwise seemed to work.

    So, an old, broken app in the Debian repository.

    Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
    management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
    and works with fluxbox?

    --
    Honorable, adj.:
    Afflicted with an impediment in one's reach. In legislative bodies,

  2. Re: A Debian stinker

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news:OvrFk.44117$vX2.4294@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
    > open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
    > they are mostly crap.
    >
    > Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found
    > in Debian. I don't mean to pick on the project itself, although it
    > apparently is broken. Instead, I'm wondering why heck it is in Debian
    > in a broken state.
    >
    > The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
    > periodically.
    >
    > I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
    > non-existent version of the imlib library. So I go to debian.org and
    > get the original package, with the dsc and diff files. Unpack the
    > project, and the build fails. A couple of modules had source-code
    > control strings that were split, and one module had a static function
    > defined after it was called. After these easy fixes it built,
    > installed, and ran.

    Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
    easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
    I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
    worked fine.

    > It has a gtk-1 GUI, ugly but serviceable. It can't handle PNG
    > wallpapers, but otherwise seemed to work.
    >
    > So, an old, broken app in the Debian repository.
    >
    > Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
    > management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
    > and works with fluxbox?

    Just curious - I do something similar on my Windows machines. I actually do
    it with a short script that every so often that sets my desktop to use a new
    wallpaper. No application required other than my short script that I put
    into the "Startup" program group.

    It was actually just slightly more complicated than that. It turns out that
    when my script tells Windows to change the wallpaper it needs to be in "BMP"
    format but most of my wallpapers are in .jpg. From the UI if you pick a jpg
    for the wallpaper Windows converts it to a BMP internally before setting it.
    But if you specify a jpg image via CLI interface for doing this it won't
    take it. So the little "extra" that my script has to do is to call
    "convert.exe" (part of ImageMagick) to create a bmp from the jpg before I
    make the call to set the wallaper.

    So I'm curious if there's a CLI way of setting the wallpaper in Linux so
    this could all be scripted?

    > --
    > Honorable, adj.:
    > Afflicted with an impediment in one's reach. In legislative bodies,
    > it is customary to mention all members as honorable; as, "the honorable
    > gentleman is a scurvy cur." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

  3. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
    > open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
    > they are mostly crap.

    Patronizing post noted....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: A Debian stinker

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
    > easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
    > I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
    > worked fine.

    Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
    da code!

    >> Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
    >> management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
    >> and works with fluxbox?

    > Just curious - I do something similar on my Windows machines. I actually do
    > it with a short script that every so often that sets my desktop to use a new
    > wallpaper. No application required other than my short script that I put
    > into the "Startup" program group.
    >
    > It was actually just slightly more complicated than that. It turns out that
    > when my script tells Windows to change the wallpaper it needs to be in "BMP"
    > format but most of my wallpapers are in .jpg. From the UI if you pick a jpg
    > for the wallpaper Windows converts it to a BMP internally before setting it.
    > But if you specify a jpg image via CLI interface for doing this it won't
    > take it. So the little "extra" that my script has to do is to call
    > "convert.exe" (part of ImageMagick) to create a bmp from the jpg before I
    > make the call to set the wallaper.
    >
    > So I'm curious if there's a CLI way of setting the wallpaper in Linux so
    > this could all be scripted?

    The method I use is via feh, an old but pretty nice image viewer. I run
    something like this:

    $ feh -g 1024x768 -r /usr/local/share/wallpapers/1920x1200

    to view the randomized (-r) images in a smaller windows. When I find
    one I feel like using for wallpaper, select File / Background / Set
    Tiled.

    This writes a file in my $HOME, called ".fehbg":

    feh --bg-tile "/usr/local/share/wallpapers/1920x1200/Space/88171-alien-1920x1200-svg.jpg"

    In my $HOME GUI startup script (e.g. ".xsession") I have:

    eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

    If there were a way to have feh pick a background image at random, then
    a timed script should do the trick. Haven't looked into it, and there
    may be more useful image views/background-setters out there that work
    with fluxbox. feh has a slideshow mode, but it doesn't seem to allow
    for setting the root window image.

    By the way, feh seems to handle the main formats: jpg, png, gif, but I
    haven't tried bmp .

    --
    3rd Law of Computing:
    Anything that can go wr

  5. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:53:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
    >> easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
    >> I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
    >> worked fine.

    > Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
    > da code!

    Installing dependencies is not messin' with the code.

    You're not supposed to start "messin with da code".

    APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: A Debian stinker

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:53:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Had a similar problem with a wireless driver for my previous laptop. Was not
    >>> easy to fix and after downloading and installing a few missing dependencies
    >>> I finally gave up, scrounged the web and round a pre-built binary that
    >>> worked fine.

    >> Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
    >> da code!

    > Installing dependencies is not messin' with the code.
    >
    > You're not supposed to start "messin with da code".
    >
    > APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    > The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    Another fine example of Liarnut's MO.

    "Messin with the code" indeed! For a wireless driver! LOL.

    --
    "If only someone would kill you two. Literally."
    -- Tattoo Vampire in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:32:58 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:53:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Yeah, you never know where you might be led once you start messin' with
    >>> da code!

    >> Installing dependencies is not messin' with the code.
    >>
    >> You're not supposed to start "messin with da code".
    >>
    >> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    >> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    > Another fine example of Liarnut's MO.
    >
    > "Messin with the code" indeed! For a wireless driver! LOL.

    LiarMutt is obviously technically incompetent.
    No wonder he seems to have so many problems with Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: A Debian stinker

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Firey Bird belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
    >> management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
    >> and works with fluxbox?

    > I use Desktop Drapes to periodically change background on my desktop machine
    > running Ubuntu Hardy.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't know if it works with multiple monitors, is tied to
    > Gnome, or works with fluxbox.
    >
    > In fact, a useless reply all round. Just ignore me...

    Nah. It's in Debian as "drapes", so I'll give it a quick spin.

    No. It requires another 30 Mb of mainly Mono dependencies. Too much
    overhead.

    But thanks, man. It is appreciated!

    --
    A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God.

  9. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
    > non-existent version of the imlib library.

    That happens sometimes with the "testing" version. There's a reason
    they call it that. If you wait a while the new library should show up.
    If not, file a bug.

    --
    -| Comrade Bob Hauck
    -| Proud part owner of the People's Insurance Company (formerly AIG)

  10. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    wrote:

    > APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    > The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
    with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.

    The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
    named etch.

    --
    -| Comrade Bob Hauck
    -| Proud part owner of the People's Insurance Company (formerly AIG)
    -| http://www.haucks.org/

  11. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:17:53 -0400, Bob Hauck wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    >> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    > Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
    > with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
    >
    > The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
    > named etch.

    Fair enough, but I have had it happen with Ubuntu Hardy as well.
    Still, I prefer apt over RPM any day of the week.
    Apt problems have been few but past experiences with rpm have been not so
    good.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  12. Re: A Debian stinker

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    >> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    > Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
    > with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
    >
    > The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
    > named etch.

    And, of course, Moshe just has to exaggerate the probability of
    dependency problems with apt. "Quite often", my ass.

    --
    Civilization, as we know it, will end sometime this evening.
    See SYSNOTE tomorrow for more information.

  13. Re: A Debian stinker

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:14:12 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
    >> non-existent version of the imlib library.

    > That happens sometimes with the "testing" version. There's a reason
    > they call it that. If you wait a while the new library should show up.

    Maybe. In sarge and etch, wallp version is 0.64-7, in lenny and sid it
    is 0.64-7+b1.

    > If not, file a bug.

    Not sure if it is worth it for this particular app.

    --
    If there is a possibility of several things going wrong,
    the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

  14. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:22:13 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Bob Hauck belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    >>> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    >> Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
    >> with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
    >>
    >> The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
    >> named etch.

    > And, of course, Moshe just has to exaggerate the probability of
    > dependency problems with apt. "Quite often", my ass.

    Well I've been using Hardy for about a month now and have had 3 separate
    issues.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  15. Re: A Debian stinker

    Bob Hauck writes:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:58:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> APT is supposed to do all that for you.
    >> The problem is, quite often it doesn't.

    > Only if you're using unstable or testing. If you are unable to deal
    > with an occasional breakage, you should be using stable.
    >
    > The OP said he's using "lenny", which is testing. The current stable is
    > named etch.

    *oh my god*

  16. Re: A Debian stinker

    On 2008-10-03, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > Our honorable (see the sig below) trolls would have us claim that all
    > open-source projects or Linux distros are perfect, while they claim that
    > they are mostly crap.

    They're lying sons-of-witches, that's for sure.

    > Well, in the interests of fairness, here's one stinker project I found
    > in Debian. I don't mean to pick on the project itself, although it
    > apparently is broken. Instead, I'm wondering why heck it is in Debian
    > in a broken state.
    >
    > The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
    > periodically.

    Hmmm... Gentoo lists only 2 projects that might be this one.

    * rox-extra/wallpaper
    Available versions: 2.1
    Homepage: http://rox.sourceforge.net/
    for the ROX Desktop

    * media-gfx/wally
    Available versions: ~1.3.1
    Homepage: http://wally.sourceforge.net/

    Not really sure if it is any one of these. I never bother much about the
    wallpaper. I use Xfce4 and usually change the desktop wallpaper to one
    of my photographs - native animals, the beach that is just outside my
    door....

    > I installed it with aptitude (lenny) and found that it wanted a
    > non-existent version of the imlib library. So I go to debian.org and
    > get the original package, with the dsc and diff files. Unpack the
    > project, and the build fails. A couple of modules had source-code
    > control strings that were split, and one module had a static function
    > defined after it was called. After these easy fixes it built,
    > installed, and ran.

    Well, if the package was on Gentoo then it would either build with the
    imlib on the system, or slot in an old version of imlib to build the
    package... no worries about dependencies here.

    > Which leads me to a question: anyone have a multiple-monitor background
    > management application that they like, that isn't tied to KDE or Gnome,
    > and works with fluxbox?

    Sorry LN, can't help you with that one....

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  17. Re: A Debian stinker

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Fair enough, but I have had it happen with Ubuntu Hardy as well.

    So?
    Ubuntu is based on debian testing.
    More cutting edge than stable, but with the odd flaw here and there to go
    with it. Big deal.

  18. Re: A Debian stinker

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-03, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> The project is "wallp", an application to change your wallpaper
    >> periodically.

    > Hmmm... Gentoo lists only 2 projects that might be this one.
    >
    > * rox-extra/wallpaper
    > * media-gfx/wally

    No, they ain't wallp. I think wallp is just an app that fell through
    the cracks.

    It might be something work upgrading to gtk2 and fixing some bugs, but I
    doubt I'll ever get to that.

    > Not really sure if it is any one of these. I never bother much about the
    > wallpaper. I use Xfce4 and usually change the desktop wallpaper to one
    > of my photographs - native animals, the beach that is just outside my
    > door....

    One thing you have to watch for is the GDM themes package. There's a
    couple of "sweaty woman" themes suitable for pubescent geek boys, but
    not so suitable for the workplace.

    As for backgrounds, even something as mild as Frank Frazetta's artwork
    for Edgar Rice Burroughs novels can still be a little outre for the
    closet perverts at Human Resources.

    > Well, if the package was on Gentoo then it would either build with the
    > imlib on the system, or slot in an old version of imlib to build the
    > package... no worries about dependencies here.

    I'm going to have to take another run at Gentoo one of these days.

    --
    PUNK ROCK!! DISCO DUCK!! BIRTH CONTROL!!

  19. Re: A Debian stinker

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:16:24 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > I'm going to have to take another run at Gentoo one of these days.

    Don't waste your time.
    You'll screw it up for certain LiarMutt.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  20. Re: A Debian stinker

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:16:24 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >

    >> I'm going to have to take another run at Gentoo one of these days.

    > Don't waste your time.
    > You'll screw it up for certain LiarMutt.

    But surely he'll just be "a messin' wid da code"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast