[News] Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe - Linux ; Microsoft said Thursday that it would set up research centers in Britain, France and Germany to improve its Internet search technology, describing the move as a vote of confidence in the European economy and in the company’s ability to close ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe

    Microsoft said Thursday that it would set up research centers in
    Britain, France and Germany to improve its Internet search technology,
    describing the move as a vote of confidence in the European economy
    and in the company’s ability to close the gap with Google.

    The chief executive, Steven A. Ballmer, said at a news conference that
    the three “centers of excellence” — near Paris, in London and in
    Munich — would employ several hundred people.

    Microsoft has been pushing to improve its ability to run Internet
    searches.... “We are the challenger, not the leader, in search,” Mr.
    Ballmer said. “But search is in its infancy, and there is so much room
    for innovation.”

    Google accounts for nearly 80 percent of Internet searches in Europe,
    according to the research company comScore; its share is slightly more
    than 60 percent in the United States.

    Microsoft has barely 1 percent of the European search market,
    according to comScore, and in some countries it even trails local
    search engines.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/te...et/03soft.html

    Ballmer seems to be serious when he says Microsoft will spend whatever
    it takes to catch up with Google. It remains to be seen whether even
    with his bank account he will be able to do it. Lately Microsoft has
    been paying people to use their search services, which doesn't sound
    like a good approach in the long run. Also looks like he wants to
    have a presence in all the major countries of Europe---maybe for some
    extra "influence", you suppose?

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 07:41:13 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Microsoft said Thursday that it would set up research centers in
    > Britain, France and Germany to improve its Internet search technology,
    > describing the move as a vote of confidence in the European economy
    > and in the company˘s ability to close the gap with Google.

    Sounds like the perfect job for Roy!
    He could get paid to seed search engines all day long.

    Oh, he already does that.
    Sorry.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Friday 03 October 2008 14:41 : \____

    > Microsoft said Thursday that it would set up research centers in
    > Britain, France and Germany to improve its Internet search technology,
    > describing the move as a vote of confidence in the European economy
    > and in the company’s ability to close the gap with Google.
    >
    > The chief executive, Steven A. Ballmer, said at a news conference that
    > the three “centers of excellence” — near Paris, in London and in
    > Munich — would employ several hundred people.
    >
    > Microsoft has been pushing to improve its ability to run Internet
    > searches.... “We are the challenger, not the leader, in search,” Mr.
    > Ballmer said. “But search is in its infancy, and there is so much room
    > for innovation.”
    >
    > Google accounts for nearly 80 percent of Internet searches in Europe,
    > according to the research company comScore; its share is slightly more
    > than 60 percent in the United States.
    >
    > Microsoft has barely 1 percent of the European search market,
    > according to comScore, and in some countries it even trails local
    > search engines.
    >

    > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/te...et/03soft.html
    >
    > Ballmer seems to be serious when he says Microsoft will spend whatever
    > it takes to catch up with Google. It remains to be seen whether even
    > with his bank account he will be able to do it. Lately Microsoft has
    > been paying people to use their search services, which doesn't sound
    > like a good approach in the long run. Also looks like he wants to
    > have a presence in all the major countries of Europe---maybe for some
    > extra "influence", you suppose?

    ....Like that blackmailing incident in Denmark, with the Man in the Sweater
    reportedly threatening to destroy jobs if he doesn't get intellectual
    monopolies on maths?

    “They’ll get sort of addicted, and then we’ll somehow figure out how to collect
    sometime in the next decade.”

    --Bill Gates

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
    Mem: 2075800k total, 1909192k used, 166608k free, 35280k buffers

  4. Re: Microsoft Unveils Plan for 3 Labs in Europe

    On Oct 3, 10:29 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > ____/ ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu on Friday 03 October 2008 14:41 : \____
    >

    > > Microsoft said Thursday that it would set up research centers in
    > > Britain, France and Germany to improve its Internet search technology,
    > > describing the move as a vote of confidence in the European economy
    > > and in the company’s ability to close the gap with Google.

    > > The chief executive, Steven A. Ballmer, said at a news conference that
    > > the three “centers of excellence” — near Paris, in London and in
    > > Munich — would employ several hundred people.

    > > Microsoft has been pushing to improve its ability to run Internet
    > > searches.... “We are the challenger, not the leader, in search,” Mr..
    > > Ballmer said. “But search is in its infancy, and there is so much room
    > > for innovation.”

    > > Google accounts for nearly 80 percent of Internet searches in Europe,
    > > according to the research company comScore; its share is slightly more
    > > than 60 percent in the United States.

    > > Microsoft has barely 1 percent of the European search market,
    > > according to comScore, and in some countries it even trails local
    > > search engines.
    > >

    > >http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/03/te...et/03soft.html

    > > Ballmer seems to be serious when he says Microsoft will spend whatever
    > > it takes to catch up with Google. It remains to be seen whether even
    > > with his bank account he will be able to do it. Lately Microsoft has
    > > been paying people to use their search services, which doesn't sound
    > > like a good approach in the long run. Also looks like he wants to
    > > have a presence in all the major countries of Europe---maybe for some
    > > extra "influence", you suppose?

    > ...Like that blackmailing incident in Denmark, with the Man in the Sweater
    > reportedly threatening to destroy jobs if he doesn't get intellectual
    > monopolies on maths?

    PJ noted that all three countries supported OOXML. Now they get
    Microsoft labs.

+ Reply to Thread