[News] Man Behind OSD Embarked on Crusade Against Intellectual Monopolies - Linux

  1. [News] Man Behind OSD Embarked on Crusade Against Intellectual Monopolies

    Perens new crusade is patent law

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perens said in a recent interview that the current system makes it too easy
    | for patent trolls to sue, even when their patents may be bogus.
    |
    | We need to restore justice to the patent system, and we also need to take
    | a good look at the motivation for software patents, which many economists
    | and others feel do more to hurt innovation than to promote it.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2952

    Recent:

    Video: Bruce Perens über Open-Source-Lizenzen

    http://www.linux-magazin.de/news/vid...ource_lizenzen

    Related:

    MS ‘Software Choice’ scheme a clever fraud

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's new "Software Choice" campaign is all for your right to choose...
    | as long as you choose Microsoft. It's too bad that Intel and the U.S.
    | Government couldn't see through the rhetoric.
    |
    | Microsoft is worried about Peruvian Congressman Edgar Villanueva's proposal
    | for his nation's government agencies to standardize on Free Software for
    | their own internal use. But Villanueva makes an important point: everybody
    | has to deal with the government. If a government uses proprietary software,
    | its citizens will probably have to use the same software to communicate with
    | it. A government web site that only supports Internet Explorer would lock
    | citizens into that Microsoft product. In contrast, a government site using
    | open standards and avoiding patented software would allow citizens to choose
    | between many different kinds of software to access the site.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/08...choice_scheme/

    Microsoft: We were naivé about standards. No, really!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft was also present at IETF meetings around that time, and was
    | enthusiasticaly gaming the system. I remember one Microsoft attorney with
    | three assistants who were each feeding "audience" questions at the attorney's
    | direction.
    |
    | Organizations like Sun, which ran a large standards department, were
    | tremendously concerned with Microsoft's attempts to game the system at the
    | time.
    |
    | Microsoft is no newcomer to the standards business. Protests otherwise on
    | their behalf are insincere.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/23/44269

    Sign Bruce's petition:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unfortunately, running for the OSI board is going to be painful. Some oppose
    | my action against vendor excesses like the Novell-Microsoft agreement. And
    | there's bad blood from the past - some of it my fault. I'm sure this campaign
    | will inspire ad-hominem material about me on the net, etc. That's another
    | reason that I'll need your support. * *
    `----

    http://techp.org/p/7

    Perens: 'Badgeware' threat to open source's next decade

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perens said the growth in licenses, especially the emergence of "badgeware",
    | or attribution licenses used by numerous open source companies, such as last
    | year's Common Public Attribution License (CPAL), is dangerous. Today, we have
    | 68 licenses ranging from the well-known GNU General Public License(GPL) to
    | the, well... the OCLC Research Public License 2.0 recognized by the OSI.
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/0...source_at_ten/

  2. Re: [News] Man Behind OSD Embarked on Crusade Against IntellectualMonopolies

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Perens new crusade is patent law
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Perens said in a recent interview that the current system makes it too easy
    >| for patent trolls to sue, even when their patents may be bogus.
    >|
    >| We need to restore justice to the patent system, and we also need to take
    >| a good look at the motivation for software patents, which many economists
    >| and others feel do more to hurt innovation than to promote it.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2952

    The patent system has never been about justice. It was, originally,
    Royal favour in repayment for services to the crown.

    Software patents, though, are even worse, having been effectively
    squeezed in through the back door in the US, which has then tried to
    impose them on the of the world, in a dazzling example of economic
    imperialism.