[News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others - Linux

  1. [News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others

    Ubuntu 8.10 Beta Screenshot Tour

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The beta version of the upcoming Ubuntu 8.10 (codename Intrepid Ibex), which
    | is scheduled for release in late October this year, arrived a few minutes ago
    | and, as usual, we intend to keep you up-to-date with the latest changes in
    | the Ubuntu 8.10 development. Compared with the sixth alpha, which brought
    | Firefox 3.0.2, Samba 3.2 and GNOME 2.24 Beta 2, this version comes with the
    | final and stable GNOME 2.24 desktop, a brand new wallpaper, Firefox 3.0.3,
    | PAM authentication framework and a BBC plugin for Totem (the default movie
    | player in Ubuntu). But first, let's take a quick look at the included
    | applications:
    |
    | · Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
    | · OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
    |
    | [...]
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...ur-94796.shtml

    10 Wallpapers for Ubuntu Lovers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Give your desktop a Ubuntuish look! Here is the collection of 10 high quality
    | wallpapers for die-hard Ubuntu fans.
    `----

    http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/10/0...ubuntu-lovers/

    Recent:

    Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" (Alpha 6): first impressions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The second good thing that I have noticed is that it is gorgeous to look at.
    | Compiz (the 3D desktop) is enabled by default, so I get all the nice 3D
    | effects. This is pretty incredible as I have an onboard video card which
    | shares 128MB of the system RAM. Vista's Aero would just laugh at this video
    | card and tell it to grow up!
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20793/1162/1/0/

    Ubuntu Ibex Alpha 6 Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This alpha 6 release is shipped with the latest Gnome 2.23.92, which is a
    | testing and development series for the upcoming Gnome 2.24. Hopefully, we can
    | see the 2.24 in action in the beta release of Ubuntu Ibex.
    `----

    http://maketecheasier.com/ubuntu-ibe...iew/2008/09/23

    Review: Xubuntu 8.10 'Intrepid Ibex' Alpha 6

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you're planning on gaming on an older machine but have an affection for
    | Ubuntu, then Xubuntu is an obvious choice. Games these days eat quite a lot
    | of resources, and with LCD screens almost enforcing you to use native
    | resolutions your older machine will be working overtime to pump out the
    | pixels. From what I've seen, Xubuntu is stable even at this stage of
    | development (just over a month to go to the final version) and I'd recommend
    | it to anyone with an older machine who is wanting to access the new goodies
    | in the Ibex repositories.
    `----

    http://www.headshotgamer.com/review.aspx?id=75

    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6 [screenshots]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 6 has been released as the final alpha build for Intrepid
    | Ibex. This release ships with the latest GNOME 2.24 and Linux 2.6.27 bits
    | along with X Server 1.5.0. Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 6 also supports Samba 3.2 with
    | clustered file server support, encrypted network transport, IPv6 support, and
    | better integration with recent versions of Microsoft Windows clients and
    | servers. Another package addition to Ubuntu is the pam-auth-update-tool,
    | which is a management interface for PAM authentication on both desktops and
    | servers.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d_alpha6&num=1

  2. Re: [News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:16:34 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ubuntu 8.10 Beta Screenshot Tour
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The beta version of the upcoming Ubuntu 8.10 (codename Intrepid Ibex), which
    >| is scheduled for release in late October this year, arrived a few minutes ago
    >| and, as usual, we intend to keep you up-to-date with the latest changes in

    That has to be the ugliest looking Linux distribution on the planet.
    Lose the brown **** already.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others

  4. Re: [News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others

  5. Re: [News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:12:40 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > It only takes a couple of minutes to change a theme in GNOME, including the
    > download. The theme/wallpaper is never an reason/excuse to choosing/avoiding a
    > particular distro.

    Sure it is, Schestowitz.
    Sure it is...

    Yea, downloading a wallpaper is easy but depending upon the theme it can be
    a nightmare doing it.

    Emerald,AWN and the other 10 different methods for setting up eye candy on
    Ubuntu only confuse the situation.

    For every theme you can click on and drag into the theme manager there are
    plenty more that require a lot of work to get going.

    And those are usually the better ones.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: [News] A Look at Ubuntu 8.10 Beta with New Wallpaper, Many Others

+ Reply to Thread