[News] Linux Boots in 5 Seconds, Dell Puts MontaVista Linux on Board - Linux

  1. [News] Linux Boots in 5 Seconds, Dell Puts MontaVista Linux on Board

    How PowerTOP, LatencyTOP, and Five-Second Boot Improve Desktop Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | O'Reilly News recently interviewed Arjan van de Ven about his efforts to
    | improve Linux performance and reduce power consumption. Arjan works for Intel
    | in the Open Source Technology Center. This interview is approximately 30
    | minutes.
    |
    | One of the projects you're probably most known for in the past couple of
    | years is the PowerTOP utility, which I found very fascinating. Looking at
    | some of the gains you've made over the past 18 months, it seems like
    | Linux-based devices are saving a lot more power than they used to. What do
    | you consider the big successes in the past year and a half?
    `----

    http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/09...op-and-fi.html

    MontaVista Linux drives Dell's quick-boot feature

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | CEO Rusty Harris revealed MontaVista's role developing the quick-booting,
    | ARM-based processor subsystem expected to ship this year in select Dell
    | laptop models. The "Latitude ON" feature aims to give enterprise laptop users
    | instant boot-up and access to select applications, with multi-day battery
    | lifetimes.
    |
    | The Latitude ON feature is expected to arrive "in the coming months" on the
    | Latitude E4200 (pictured above) and E4300, the two lightest-weight models of
    | the five re-engineered Dell Latitudes announced by the company in August.
    | Latitude ON uses "a dedicated low-voltage sub-processor and OS that can
    | enable multi-day battery life" for the Windows Vista notebooks, Dell said.
    | Dell also said the technology will provide access to the web, email,
    | attachments, calendar, and contacts "in seconds."
    `----

    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2...44.html?kc=rss

    Recent:

    Inside Dell's 'BlackTop' laptop Linux OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell’s new laptops sideline Windows with a fast-boot Linux OS and ARM
    | processor to check email, browse the Web and even sync with Exchange.
    `----

    http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2804

    The Next Linux You Use Could Be Virtual

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Major players in the laptop computer market go virtual with Linux. HP,
    | Lenovo, and now Dell offer laptops that have a Linux Mode.
    `----

    Sun xVM VirtualBox is now available

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun Microsystems Inc., has announced new multi-year original equipment
    | manufacturer (OEM) agreements with Avanquest Software, Q-layer and Zenith
    | InfoTech Ltd. to expand the global reach of Sun xVM VirtualBox.
    `----

    http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-S...13808109003/0/

    Dell introduces ten new laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
    | the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
    | Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
    | the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oduces-laptops

    Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
    | spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
    | into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
    | fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
    | snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
    | because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
    | to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
    | Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
    | Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
    | if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2400

    Dell’s comeback machine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are some surprises beneath the surface of the Latitude line as well.
    | One is an optional Linux-based low-power mode called Dell Latitude On, which
    | boots in two seconds. It offers more than a day’s worth of battery life for
    | basic tasks like web surfing, Exchange e-mail, and viewing e-mail
    | attachments, and runs on an ARM-based (ARMH) chip rather than the main Intel
    | processor. (HP and Lenovo laptops offer similar Linux modes, but with fewer
    | capabilities.)
    `----

    http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...eback-machine/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Boots in 5 Seconds, Dell Puts MontaVista Linux on Board

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    [snip]

    > MontaVista Linux drives Dell's quick-boot feature

    [snip]

    Hm, I wonder if the association in name with "Vista" is such a good idea,
    with buyers shunning Microsoft's Vista more than ever before ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  3. Re: [News] Linux Boots in 5 Seconds, Dell Puts MontaVista Linux on Board

    ____/ Richard Rasker on Friday 03 October 2008 11:43 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> MontaVista Linux drives Dell's quick-boot feature

    > [snip]
    >
    > Hm, I wonder if the association in name with "Vista" is such a good idea,
    > with buyers shunning Microsoft's Vista more than ever before ...
    >
    > Richard Rasker

    I think I can recall a lawsuit against Microsoft over the use of the
    word "Vista" (there's also VistA, a FOSS program which serves healthcare
    well).

    The Other Vista: Successful and Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The is a clear pattern to open source's continuing rise. The first free
    | software that was deployed was at the bottom of the enterprise software
    | stack: GNU/Linux, Apache, Sendmail, BIND. Later, databases and middleware
    | layers were added in the form of popular programs like MySQL and Jboss. More
    | recently, there have been an increasing number of applications serving the
    | top of the software stack, addressing sectors like enterprise content
    | management, customer relationship management, business intelligence and, most
    | recently, data warehousing.
    |
    | But all of these are generic programs, applicable to any industry: the next
    | frontier for free software will be vertical applications serving particular
    | sectors. In fact, we already have one success in this area, but few people
    | know about it outside the industry it serves. Recent events mean that may be
    | about to change.
    |
    | The basic program is called VistA; the name was chosen well before a Certain
    | Other Company copied the move, and the code began life as an electronic
    | health records system for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)...
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...nd-open-source

    Also see:

    Fiji's fury over Microsoft's Pacific solution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Fiji's military government has written to the software giant Microsoft
    | demanding the company not use their country name in any of its products."
    |
    | Fiji's interim attorney-general Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum today released a letter
    | sent to Microsoft's co-founder Bill Gates yesterday, after media reports the
    | software company may call its yet-to-be-released software "Windows Fiji".
    `----

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/f...472744065.html

    The Microsoft brand is falling, so any association with such thugs would be
    harmful.

    Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
    | find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
    | following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
    | continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
    | for quality products on their terms. * *
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/...revenue-grows/
    http://tinyurl.com/5fojkd

    Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
    Power Rankings

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The annual "CoreBrand Brand Power 100" Branding Index(R) of 1,200 US
    | corporations ranks Coca-Cola Company and Johnson & Johnson at #1 and #2
    | respectively, unchanged since 2004. Meanwhile, Microsoft's corporate brand
    | declined in stunning fashion over the past four years, falling from 11 in
    | 2004 to 59 in 2007 Microsoft, a decline of 48 places! * *
    `----

    http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

    Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
    | received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
    | and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
    | category was brand USA. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...50164020080331

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish
    session
    Tasks: 203 total, 5 running, 188 sleeping, 0 stopped, 10 zombie

+ Reply to Thread