    failed installation.

    Thanks

  2. Re: What others besides QT?

    On 2008-10-03, vorange wrote:
    > Hello,
    > What other software besides QT is available in Linux for
    > creating GUI based programs? Or is QT the most used program for this
    > purpose. What is the equivalent of Visual Studio in Linux.

    There's no equivalent of Visual Studio in Linux. There are many
    different programs for creating GUI based software. Gtk or Gnome is one
    of the main ones.

    > Also I have another question. If when installing a package something
    > screws up, how do I reverse the changes? like if I did a make install
    > and it f-ed up, how would I reverse the whole course of actions so
    > that I did not leave fragments of files here and there due to the
    > failed installation.

    make uninstall.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: What others besides QT?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, vorange belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hello,
    > What other software besides QT is available in Linux for
    > creating GUI based programs? Or is QT the most used program for this
    > purpose. What is the equivalent of Visual Studio in Linux.

    I've heard that only Qt and gtk provide all support you need, including
    language support and text rendering, but don't quote me on that, as I
    saw that somewhere only in passing.

    As far as IDEs, Kdevelop looks decent, as does Anjuta. Two guys at work
    use Netbeans or Eclipse, and each likes that one.

    > Also I have another question. If when installing a package something
    > screws up, how do I reverse the changes? like if I did a make install
    > and it f-ed up, how would I reverse the whole course of actions so
    > that I did not leave fragments of files here and there due to the
    > failed installation.

    If it's an automake project, you should be able to do a "make
    uninstall". Not sure that guarantees a clean clean-up after a borked
    installation.

    --
    Boy, get your head out of the stars above,
    You get the maximum pleasure from a minimum of love.

  4. Re: What others besides QT?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, vorange

    wrote
    on Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
    <64bea3c4-37b5-4d2a-ad8d-69d009c72dca@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>:
    > Hello,
    > What other software besides QT is available in Linux for
    > creating GUI based programs? Or is QT the most used program for this
    > purpose. What is the equivalent of Visual Studio in Linux.

    There are several rough equivalents.

    - kdevelop: generates code in QT for GUIs and builds projects,
    among many other things.
    - glade-3: generates an XML file that describes a GUI; a runtime
    library (libglade) will connect things together and allow a
    program to display the GUI. There are C/C++ and Java flavors
    for libglade, and probably quite a few others as well.
    - netbeans: A Java IDE that allows for GUI construction
    and building from source.

    None of these are exactly equal to Visual Studio, but might
    be worth a try.

    > Also I have another question. If when installing a package something
    > screws up, how do I reverse the changes? like if I did a make install
    > and it f-ed up, how would I reverse the whole course of actions so
    > that I did not leave fragments of files here and there due to the
    > failed installation.

    That's a very general question, and the answer depends on
    how you're installing packages on your specific distro.
    'make install' on most distros -- Gentoo included, which
    I'll explain presently -- goes outside the package
    installation mechanism.

    For its part Gentoo packages use 'emerge', which
    automatically downloads and builds from source (using
    descriptor files called e-build files, suffixed .ebuild
    in the Portage tree), and attempts to keep track of all
    important files created during a build. Most other distros
    (Slackware might be an exception; I've not used it for a
    long time though) dump binary files somewhere and try to
    keep those. A "reverse" or uninstall using the distro's
    package manager is almost always possible.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).