Who writes Linux: Corporate America - Linux

This is a discussion on Who writes Linux: Corporate America - Linux ; At one time, it's true, Linux was a labor of love, [but Linux development started to be dominated by corporate devlopers] twelve months after October 2001. October 2001? That was when IBM announced that it was investing a billion dollars ...

  1. Who writes Linux: Corporate America

    At one time, it's true, Linux was a labor of love, [but Linux
    development started to be dominated by corporate devlopers] twelve
    months after October 2001.

    October 2001? That was when IBM announced that it was investing a
    billion dollars in Linux. Within a year, then Bill Zeitler, IBM's
    senior vice president and group executive for eServer, told me in 2002
    that "We've recouped most of it in the first year in sales of software
    and systems."

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/who_w...porate_america

  2. Re: Who writes Linux: Corporate America

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:42:39 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > At one time, it's true, Linux was a labor of love, [but Linux
    > development started to be dominated by corporate devlopers] twelve
    > months after October 2001.
    >
    > October 2001? That was when IBM announced that it was investing a
    > billion dollars in Linux. Within a year, then Bill Zeitler, IBM's
    > senior vice president and group executive for eServer, told me in 2002
    > that "We've recouped most of it in the first year in sales of software
    > and systems."
    >

    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/who_w...porate_america

    IBM also said that they would have their mobile employees running Linux
    very soon now.

    That was years ago.

    It hasn't happened and there is no sign that it will happen in the near
    future.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: