The Microsoft-Stacked SC 34 Committee Makes a Move - Linux

This is a discussion on The Microsoft-Stacked SC 34 Committee Makes a Move - Linux ; Guess what the SC 34 committee, the ISO/IEC committee responsible for OOXML, is up to now? I call it a takeover attempt of ODF, according to my reading of the published notes of the most recent meeting held yesterday, October ...

  1. The Microsoft-Stacked SC 34 Committee Makes a Move

    Guess what the SC 34 committee, the ISO/IEC committee responsible for
    OOXML, is up to now? I call it a takeover attempt of ODF, according to
    my reading of the published notes of the most recent meeting held
    yesterday, October 1st, and starring a document titled "Request to JTC
    1 for alignment of OASIS and JTC 1 Maintenance Procedures." Uh oh.
    That sounds polite, but it is what it is. An attempted coup. They have
    already sent a "Liaison Statement" to OASIS. Surrender or else, what?
    SC 34 asks JTC 1 "to establish with OASIS a synchronised mechanism for
    maintenance of ISO/IEC 26300 and to inform SC 34 of the outcome." I
    gather they think they can do a better job of maintaining ODF than
    OASIS. What will JTC 1 do, do you think? You doubt they will hop on to
    this wonderful plan?

    I gather the hope is, if the takeover were to succeed, that SC 34
    would get to maintain ODF as well as Microsoft's competing parody
    "standard," OOXML. How totally smooth and shark-like. Under the guise
    of "synchronised maintenance", without which they claim SC 34 can't
    fulfill its responsibilities, they get control of everything. So
    utterly Microsoft. Microsoft yearns for interoperability, it seems.
    More like yearning for ODF's air supply to be ... well, you know.
    Microsoft never seems to change, does it? Yoo hoo! EU Commission! Are
    you watching? You can read all the public resolutions of the ISO/IEC
    JTC 1/SC 34 Plenary Meeting, 2008-10-01, held in Jeju, Republic of
    Korea. It will either make you laugh or throw up. I did both.
    Sequentially.

    http://www.groklaw.net/

  2. Re: The Microsoft-Stacked SC 34 Committee Makes a Move

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > ... Microsoft's competing parody "standard," OOXML.
    > http://www.groklaw.net/

    Heh.

    --
    Let's say the docs present a simplified view of reality... :-)
    -- Larry Wall in <6940@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

  3. Re: The Microsoft-Stacked SC 34 Committee Makes a Move

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:22:18 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Guess what the SC 34 committee, the ISO/IEC committee responsible for

    Wake me up when it's over.
    What a snoozer.......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb