debian on alpha xl - Linux

This is a discussion on debian on alpha xl - Linux ; tryed this way to boot debian make 1st floppy with MILO put rescue.bin with rawrite onto a 2nd floppy put root.bin with rawrite onto a 3rd floppy startup the machine with the 1st into MILO> put the 2nd (rescue.bin) into ...

  1. debian on alpha xl

    tryed this way to boot debian

    make 1st floppy with MILO
    put rescue.bin with rawrite onto a 2nd floppy
    put root.bin with rawrite onto a 3rd floppy
    startup the machine with the 1st into MILO>
    put the 2nd (rescue.bin) into the fd0, then:
    "boot fd0:linux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1"

    and this is the output

    MILO:unknow filesystem on device void

    why it not recognize the fs?
    i have written images with:
    fdformat /dev/fd0
    dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

    already tryed with:
    dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=72k
    dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0

  2. Re: debian on alpha xl

    Why do you need to boot floppies ? To me, Milo has been designed for
    HDD, but, maybe it could work (Alpha is not like PC, what has been
    designed for HDD may work for other devices).

    If it's just tu install Debian, there are easier ways to do.

    If you want a debian without HDD ... please confirm this option, and I
    will try to think about it.

    Please, give *details* on why you need or want to do this.

    But, remember this: to make a bootable floppy on PC, we never use Lilo,
    and Grub is optionnal.

    I *REALLY* dont think the problem is about the bs= option.

    The best way IMHO to make a bootable floppy is ...
    - join ric.freenox.net/#debian and ask which tools can build floppies
    (dont mention Alpha, just ask which program will build bootable FDs)
    or
    - use installation disks: write installation disks on your FDs, just to
    get benefits of Debian official's FS and BL, mount writable, and change
    the kernel for the one of your choice.

    When I need a custom Debian FD, i always go for the second option.

    If you boot official FDs, you should not need any option.

    You have not been able to build your own FDs, or you dont know how to
    make them: dont make them, reuse official images

    CU later.

    --
    >o_/ DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP) http://benoit.demaine.info/

    If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work \_o<

    "So all that's left, Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf."
    (FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO, Arctic Monkeys)

  3. Re: debian on alpha xl

    On 2008-10-02, ss4 wrote:
    > tryed this way to boot debian
    >
    > make 1st floppy with MILO
    > put rescue.bin with rawrite onto a 2nd floppy
    > put root.bin with rawrite onto a 3rd floppy
    > startup the machine with the 1st into MILO>
    > put the 2nd (rescue.bin) into the fd0, then:
    > "boot fd0:linux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1"
    >
    > and this is the output
    >
    > MILO:unknow filesystem on device void
    >
    > why it not recognize the fs?
    > i have written images with:
    > fdformat /dev/fd0
    > dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
    >
    > already tryed with:
    > dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=72k
    > dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0

    Forget bs option, not needed. Try mount that rescue disk, it's FS is
    FAT so windows machines can read it too. Also you can try in milo
    this; ls fd0:/

    If can read dir, then boot fd0:/vmlinuz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
    Or have installation cd and place root=/dev/scd0

    Anyway, possibly damaged floppy too.

+ Reply to Thread