[News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised - Linux ; Gentoo still rules ,----[ Quote ] | Gentoo is pretty good for this kind of thing, whatever its other | shortcomings. Does any other distro make it this easy to do such things? (I'm | genuinely curious.) `---- http://briancarper.net/2008/09/26/gentoo-still-rules/ Viva ...

  1. [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    Gentoo still rules

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gentoo is pretty good for this kind of thing, whatever its other
    | shortcomings. Does any other distro make it this easy to do such things? (I'm
    | genuinely curious.)
    `----

    http://briancarper.net/2008/09/26/gentoo-still-rules/

    Viva Gentoo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Talking about a light desktop, there is now a Gentoo project to bring LXDE,
    | the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, to our beloved distro. I already
    | committed PCManFM, a fast and lightweight, tabbed GTK+ file manager, which is
    | used as the default file manager in LXDE.
    `----

    http://ben.liveforge.org/viva-gentoo

    Satisfied Gentoo users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you, like me, would rather “think positive” — life can be depressing
    | enough as it is — then here are some more recent, positive, reactions from
    | satisfied Gentoo users...
    `----

    http://ben.liveforge.org/satisfied-gentoo-users

    I keep coming back to Gentoo!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And in general, portage and all the gentoo associated tools feel better,
    | maybe because I have become more accustomed to them. And final point, I do
    | not have to install g++, it is already installed. The toolchain is already
    | there to compile anything that I want.
    `----

    http://rahulthewall.wordpress.com/20...ack-to-gentoo/

    Recent:

    New release strategy to provide more current install media

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In future releases, Gentoo will focus on a more back-to-basics approach that
    | will give you up-to-date install media on a regular basis and make much
    | better use of our human resources. We're looking into automated weekly builds
    | of the minimal CDs and stage tarballs as well as maybe an annual LiveCD
    | release. We will keep you updated as we decide on the details of this new
    | approach.
    `----

    http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080922-...nouncement.xml

  2. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Gentoo still rules

    Of all the Linux distros that I've tried... I ALWAYS go back to Gentoo.
    Nothing more pure...

    --

    ************************************************** ***************************

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    17:30:43 up 4 days, 21:47, 5 users, load average: 0.39, 0.18, 0.06

    ************************************************** ***************************

  3. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    On 2008-10-02, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Gentoo still rules
    >>

    > Of all the Linux distros that I've tried... I ALWAYS go back to Gentoo.
    > Nothing more pure...

    Another masochist...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

  5. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    On 2008-10-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Gregory Shearman on Friday 03 October 2008 13:38 : \____

    >>> Of all the Linux distros that I've tried... I ALWAYS go back to Gentoo.
    >>> Nothing more pure...

    >> Another masochist...

    > Ricer. :-)

    No way! Gentoo builds are lean and mean and tailored to their task.

    Ubuntu users are the "ricers".

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    On 3 Oct 2008 23:32:18 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-10-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Friday 03 October 2008 13:38 : \____

    >>> Another masochist...

    >> Ricer. :-)

    > No way! Gentoo builds are lean and mean and tailored to their task.
    >
    > Ubuntu users are the "ricers".

    So they say however I built a quasi stage 2 gentoo build and it was no
    faster than a stock Redhat version on the same machine, at the time.

    Custom kernel, most applications but used pre-compiled KDE from the
    applications CD.

    Maybe a stage one might have made a difference, but I'm not convinced.

    Still, I do like Gentoo and like I have said before the cookbook / handbook
    is excellent documentation.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman

    wrote
    on 3 Oct 2008 23:32:18 GMT
    :
    > On 2008-10-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Friday 03 October 2008 13:38 : \____

    >>> Another masochist...

    >> Ricer. :-)

    > No way! Gentoo builds are lean and mean and tailored to their task.
    >
    > Ubuntu users are the "ricers".

    Not entirely sure of that. I'll have to see if I can
    rebuild Gentoo by changing CHOST in /etc/make.conf;
    stage-1 starter kits are no longer supported, though
    there's gotta be a way to rebuild the base system with
    the options I want, especially with crosscompiling.
    Ideally I'd be able to build a Gentoo ARM environment for
    an Android-like phone and run it using QEMU. Of course
    there's a number of issues in doing so (starting with
    a certain lack of hardware :-) ).

    There's also the issue that I consider Gentoo a
    manual-shift, if one uses (yet again some more) a car
    analogy; Ubuntu and other distros are automatic, and far
    faster to install, if everything goes right. The flip
    side: Gentoo is more likely to be consistent, if one
    maintains the system properly (revdep-rebuild is rather
    important :-) ).

    My Gentoo system is admittedly rather extensively tailored,
    though. I don't know if I could call it "customized" but
    I do have to tweak a fair number of things on occasion,
    probably because I like to experiment with newish things that
    the Gentoo powers-that-be haven't deemed stable yet.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  8. Re: [News] Gentoo Raves Come After Release Schedule is Revised

    On 2008-10-04, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
    >
    > wrote
    > on 3 Oct 2008 23:32:18 GMT
    >:
    >> On 2008-10-03, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ Gregory Shearman on Friday 03 October 2008 13:38 : \____

    >>> Ricer. :-)

    >> No way! Gentoo builds are lean and mean and tailored to their task.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu users are the "ricers".
    >>

    > Not entirely sure of that. I'll have to see if I can
    > rebuild Gentoo by changing CHOST in /etc/make.conf;
    > stage-1 starter kits are no longer supported, though
    > there's gotta be a way to rebuild the base system with
    > the options I want, especially with crosscompiling.

    Hmmm... I had to change the CHOST on one of my large desktops. It was a
    rather stressful and time-consuming exercise, fraught with danger. I
    made a mistake and originally built the machine with a i386-pc-linux-gnu
    CHOST instead of the i686-pc-linux-gnu CHOST. All seemed to go OK
    though. This was a few years ago now and the machine is still running
    fine.

    > Ideally I'd be able to build a Gentoo ARM environment for
    > an Android-like phone and run it using QEMU. Of course
    > there's a number of issues in doing so (starting with
    > a certain lack of hardware :-) ).

    Sounds like a lot of fun. I intend to get into crosscompiling a bit
    more, to save some of my lower powered gentoo penguins from the strain
    of compiling their own software.

    > There's also the issue that I consider Gentoo a
    > manual-shift, if one uses (yet again some more) a car
    > analogy; Ubuntu and other distros are automatic, and far
    > faster to install, if everything goes right. The flip
    > side: Gentoo is more likely to be consistent, if one
    > maintains the system properly (revdep-rebuild is rather
    > important :-) ).

    Urk! I'm feeling queasy. Please, enough of the car analogy. I don't need
    it.

    Just ran revdep-rebuild on my oldest gentoo install (a 2003 Pentium
    Behemoth)... there's been an update to it (both the behemoth and to the
    revdep-rebuild tool) today and it found some old libraru links that
    belong to no packages and placed this information conveniently in a flie
    for me... isn't that nice? Looks like I've got a bit of housekeeping to
    do.. never a dull moment.

    > My Gentoo system is admittedly rather extensively tailored,
    > though. I don't know if I could call it "customized" but
    > I do have to tweak a fair number of things on occasion,
    > probably because I like to experiment with newish things that
    > the Gentoo powers-that-be haven't deemed stable yet.

    Ah, geek heaven!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.