[News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor - Linux

  1. [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    100+ Beautiful Free Fonts for Ubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you are a graphic and web designer, the default fonts that came with
    | Ubuntu will surely be not enough for your needs. However, if you know where
    | to look, you can find plenty of additional fonts that can help get the job
    | done.
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/09/100-b...or-ubuntu.html

    Linux *does* have pretty fonts, debunking a long-dead myth.

    125+ Linux wallpapers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 101 of the best Linux wallpapers I could find in the wild…
    `----

    http://elkosmas.gr/2008/09/25/125-linux-wallpapers/

    Recent:

    Ubuntu and Fonts

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In this short tutorial i discuss some handy fonts related tips that could
    | improve user's desktop experience . The tips include installing Microsoft
    | True type fonts enabling one to render documents and web pages created in
    | Microsoft Windows properly in Ubuntu Linux, Installing a set of cool looking
    | fonts released by RedHat - Liberation fonts package , making fonts look good
    | on your LCD Display by turning on subpixel smoothing , installing some cool
    | and free fonts on your Ubuntu Desktop and finally how to install any font if
    | you have it's ttf file . Â* Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2...and-fonts.html

    Ubuntu Hardy - Liberation Fonts now Fully Hinted?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A recent update came through for liberation fonts. It wasn't clear, but it
    | looks as if there is now full hinting available. Looks very nice! Might have
    | to add this to my Win XP work laptop as well. Â*
    `----

    http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2008/...now-fully.html

    Related:

    Liberation Fonts

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first release is a set of fully usable fonts, but they will
    | lack the fully hinting capability (hinting adjusts font pixelization
    | so that the fonts render with high quality at large and small sizes)
    | provided by TrueType/FreeType technology. That release is now ready.
    | The second release will provide full hinting of the fonts, and that
    | release will be available by the end of the calendar year.
    `----

    http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/...eration-fonts/

    Checking out the new Open Font Library

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Up until the last few years, typefaces were a neglected aspect in
    | FOSS. However, the increased popularity of the GNU/Linux desktop and
    | the emergence of software for designers is changing that. "The whole
    | vectorization of the desktop with Inkscape is really doing a
    | beautification of the desktop," Phillips says. In such an atmosphere,
    | the OFL looks like an idea whose time has come.
    `----

    http://applications.linux.com/articl.../169230&tid=13

    Visual comparison of major OS's font rendering

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Linux's myth of bad font rendering is finally over.
    `----

    http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/20...ont-rendering/

    Microsoft's forgotten [fonts] monopoly

    http://news.com.com/Microsofts+forgo...3-6085417.html

    3 Examples of Bad Microsoft Word Typography

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From the makers of Arial, here are three examples of bad typography in
    | Microsoft Word. Bad typesetting in Word finds its way into résumés, business
    | plans, research papers, government documents, even published books. These
    | small inconsistencies and imperfections may be un-noticible in small doses, Â*
    | but paragraph-after-paragraph they stack up—resulting in ugly,
    | visually-incohesive documents. Word isn’t for professional typography work,
    | but that’s no excuse for these typography sins. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://robgoodlatte.com/2007/07/24/3...rd-typography/

    Open source fonts

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you’ve ever gone looking for legitimately free fonts, you’ve probably
    | found that there are a lot of really bad ones. But there’s also a lot of
    | discussion out there about “open source fonts.” Â*
    |
    | Some who post about open source fonts are really just talking about
    | free-as-in-beer typefaces. Some, however, have embraced the open source
    | philosophy as applied to typography. Â*
    `----

    http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/1...-source-fonts/

    Liberation Fonts Installation Script

    http://linuxhack3r.com/2007/12/16/li...lation-script/

  2. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:53:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Linux *does* have pretty fonts, debunking a long-dead myth.

    It's not a myth.
    It's a fact.

    It does now.
    It didn't in the past, and in fact has had crappy fonts until just
    recently.

    Trying to re-write history again Schestowitz?

    "XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO"

    http://burgiss.net/ldp/fdu/

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:53:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Linux *does* have pretty fonts, debunking a long-dead myth.

    > It's not a myth.
    > It's a fact.
    >
    > It does now.
    > It didn't in the past, and in fact has had crappy fonts until just
    > recently.
    >
    > Trying to re-write history again Schestowitz?
    >
    > "XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO"
    >
    > http://burgiss.net/ldp/fdu/

    "Fixed fonts after KDE install" (2007)

    "Fix and Get the Best Firefox Font in Linux" (2008)
    http://ubuntusite.com/fix-get-best-firefox-font-linux/

    I could post more but whats the point? My first try with Linux a while
    back was truly awful as the default fonts sucked,

    I can tell you now that my Linux desktop is MUCH prettier than
    XP. Now. Back then it wasnt. I was called a liar of course. I guess all
    the links above point to liars too?

    When there is a problem admit it, acknowledge it, help to fix it. Dont
    do a COLA and put your head in the sand and stick your arse in the air.

    --
    "Maybe he knows where the body is because he saw where
    it was put." -- "Rick" defending Hans Reiser (his hero) in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  4. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:28:50 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:53:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Linux *does* have pretty fonts, debunking a long-dead myth.

    >> It's not a myth.
    >> It's a fact.
    >>
    >> It does now.
    >> It didn't in the past, and in fact has had crappy fonts until just
    >> recently.
    >>
    >> Trying to re-write history again Schestowitz?
    >>
    >> "XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO"
    >>
    >> http://burgiss.net/ldp/fdu/

    > "Fixed fonts after KDE install" (2007)
    >
    > "Fix and Get the Best Firefox Font in Linux" (2008)
    > http://ubuntusite.com/fix-get-best-firefox-font-linux/
    >
    > I could post more but whats the point? My first try with Linux a while
    > back was truly awful as the default fonts sucked,
    >
    > I can tell you now that my Linux desktop is MUCH prettier than
    > XP. Now. Back then it wasnt. I was called a liar of course. I guess all
    > the links above point to liars too?

    My Linux desktop is better looking than my Windows XP one as well, but that
    was not the case in the past.
    I too was called a liar and the Linux loons claimed there was no font
    problems despite entire websites being devoted to *fixing* the fonts.

    > When there is a problem admit it, acknowledge it, help to fix it. Dont
    > do a COLA and put your head in the sand and stick your arse in the air.

    It will never happen in COLA.
    The latest trend is to re-write the history of Linux.
    They want to make believe that these things, fonts, wireless networking,
    SATA, sound etc didn't have massive problems under Linux.

    It won't work and in effect just makes them look even more rabid and zealot
    like.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  5. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:53:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Linux *does* have pretty fonts, debunking a long-dead myth.

    >> It's not a myth.
    >> It's a fact.
    >>
    >> It does now.
    >> It didn't in the past, and in fact has had crappy fonts until just
    >> recently.
    >>
    >> Trying to re-write history again Schestowitz?
    >>
    >> "XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO"
    >>
    >> http://burgiss.net/ldp/fdu/

    Last revised in 2002.

    > "Fixed fonts after KDE install" (2007)
    >
    > "Fix and Get the Best Firefox Font in Linux" (2008)
    > http://ubuntusite.com/fix-get-best-firefox-font-linux/
    >
    > I could post more but whats the point? My first try with Linux a while

    ....yeah, it's not like people ever tweak their fonts in Windows.

    [deletia]

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  6. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:45:40 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:

    >>> It's not a myth.
    >>> It's a fact.
    >>>
    >>> It does now.
    >>> It didn't in the past, and in fact has had crappy fonts until just
    >>> recently.
    >>>
    >>> Trying to re-write history again Schestowitz?
    >>>
    >>> "XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO"
    >>>
    >>> http://burgiss.net/ldp/fdu/

    > Last revised in 2002.

    Zip......
    It went right over your head...

    >> "Fixed fonts after KDE install" (2007)
    >>
    >> "Fix and Get the Best Firefox Font in Linux" (2008)
    >> http://ubuntusite.com/fix-get-best-firefox-font-linux/
    >>
    >> I could post more but whats the point? My first try with Linux a while

    > ...yeah, it's not like people ever tweak their fonts in Windows.
    >
    > [deletia]

    They look fine compared to the mess that Linux used to be and in some
    cases, depending upon distribution still is.

    I don't touch the fonts in Windows.
    Why?
    Because they look fine.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    Hadron wrote:

    > I can tell you now that my Linux desktop is MUCH prettier than
    > XP.

    Let's see it!

  8. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    "DFS" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I can tell you now that my Linux desktop is MUCH prettier than
    >> XP.

    > Let's see it!

    I posted a screen shot earlier in the year.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  9. Re: [News] Pretty Fonts in GNU/Linux, Wallpapers Factor

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 13:34:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can tell you now that my Linux desktop is MUCH prettier than
    >>> XP.

    >> Let's see it!

    > I posted a screen shot earlier in the year.

    My Linux desktop is nothing fancy, but the reason it looks better than
    Windows is that it is "brighter, clearer and sharper" looking.
    I'm sure Windows can be made up to look like that as well, but I'm not a
    fan of add ins like WindowBlinds etc because they wreak havoc with digital
    audio programs.

    Many Linux distributions out of the box look like ****.
    Ubuntu is one.
    Mandriva is another.
    Fedora looks fuzzy, at least last time I checked.

    IMHO PCLinuxOS is the best looking Linux out of the box.
    Ubuntu with KDE 4.x is also really kool looking however it is unusable due
    to stability problems, at least on my systems.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/