Linux webonly ? - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux webonly ? - Linux ; Hi all, in view of Microsofts announcement of 'Windows Cloud', a lightweight OS designed for webapps, and my hate for most things Microsoft, I was looking to see if a linux distro offered the same service ? Any suggestions ? ...

  1. Linux webonly ?

    Hi all,

    in view of Microsofts announcement of 'Windows Cloud', a lightweight OS
    designed for webapps, and my hate for most things Microsoft, I was
    looking to see if a linux distro offered the same service ? Any
    suggestions ?

    XPN.

  2. Re: Linux webonly ?

    Group: comp.os.linux Date: Thu, Oct 2, 2008, 2:54pm (CDT+7) From:
    test@xpn.com (xpn)

    script:

    >in view of Microsofts announcement
    >of 'Windows Cloud', a lightweight OS
    >designed for webapps, and my hate
    >for most things Microsoft, I was looking
    >to see if a linux distro offered the same
    >service ? Any suggestions ?

    Please note that I am not a linux guru of any sort:

    Back about Y2K, I downloaded a VectorLinux that was built on the 2.2
    kernel. I have yet to install it, (or any Linux,) though I believe it
    took only 50 MB.

    I think that it is still available on the VectorLinux site.

    There are others, such as DSL, and TurboLinux. In each case, it is
    likely that one needs to clean out that which is unnecessary.

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television, Linux is radar.

  3. Re: Linux webonly ?

    In ,
    xpn mentions:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >in view of Microsofts announcement of 'Windows Cloud', a lightweight OS
    >designed for webapps, and my hate for most things Microsoft, I was
    >looking to see if a linux distro offered the same service ? Any
    >suggestions ?

    I don't know as I'd even *want* a linux box that only did web apps..

    But as far as cloud computing and "the network is the computer", etc..

    Have a look (not linux though):

    http://www.dragonflybsd.org/

    Not sure where it's at now, but Matt Dillon had some really interesting
    ideas about migrating a computer over the network. (not quite the same..
    but it's an interesting concept) the idea was (as I recall) that you should
    be able to tell your machine "I'm going to shut you off soon" and have all the
    processes migrate.

    Jamie
    Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  4. Re: Linux webonly ?

    xpn wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > in view of Microsofts announcement of 'Windows Cloud', a lightweight OS
    > designed for webapps, and my hate for most things Microsoft, I was
    > looking to see if a linux distro offered the same service ? Any
    > suggestions ?
    >
    > XPN.

    Microsoft is just trying to get you into a permanent billing situation
    similar to cell phones. It will someday be a subscription service and
    all you'll need is a dumb terminal to connect. They will take care of
    all the software, upgrades and billing. Dummies will love it.

+ Reply to Thread