Linux: more time spent fixing the turdware than using it - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: more time spent fixing the turdware than using it - Linux ; "Since I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and then 8.04, about two weeks ago, I have spent more time on trying to fix its problems up than using and abusing from it, at home or on the web. ....after installing Compiz-Fusion thing ...

  1. Linux: more time spent fixing the turdware than using it

    "Since I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and then 8.04, about two weeks ago, I have
    spent more time on trying to fix its problems up than using and abusing from
    it, at home or on the web.

    ....after installing Compiz-Fusion thing on my laptop, it just changed some
    of my settings, some commands do not work like before anymore, my windows
    have no title bars, my firefox tab command, for example, and my Alt+f1 just
    do not work...

    My Terminal option has vanished in the air. But now, under another name and
    in a different place (Accessories) and tnx to a user here, I knew that
    there's a Console (Consola, in Portuguese, my system language).

    How many days, I ask myself and ourselves here, will I spend until I can say
    "Oh!, my new operating system ok great; you see, everything on it just works
    perfectly"?"

    I strongly believe this is the norm when wrestling the slimy turd called
    Linux. cola liars will tell you differently, of course, but the forums are
    FULL of people spending weeks trying to make the lousy software behave.

  2. Re: Linux: more time spent fixing the turdware than using it

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 00:50:25 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Since I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and then 8.04, about two weeks ago, I have
    > spent more time on trying to fix its problems up than using and abusing from
    > it, at home or on the web.
    >
    > ...after installing Compiz-Fusion thing on my laptop, it just changed some
    > of my settings, some commands do not work like before anymore, my windows
    > have no title bars, my firefox tab command, for example, and my Alt+f1 just
    > do not work...
    >
    > My Terminal option has vanished in the air. But now, under another name and
    > in a different place (Accessories) and tnx to a user here, I knew that
    > there's a Console (Consola, in Portuguese, my system language).
    >
    > How many days, I ask myself and ourselves here, will I spend until I can say
    > "Oh!, my new operating system ok great; you see, everything on it just works
    > perfectly"?"

    Get rid of Wine -- some Windows piece of **** is screwing with you Linux
    install.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: Linux: more time spent fixing the turdware than using it

    On 2008-10-02, DFS wrote:
    > "Since I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and then 8.04, about two weeks ago, I have
    > spent more time on trying to fix its problems up than using and abusing from
    > it, at home or on the web.
    >
    > ...after installing Compiz-Fusion thing on my laptop, it just changed some
    > of my settings, some commands do not work like before anymore, my windows
    > have no title bars, my firefox tab command, for example, and my Alt+f1 just
    > do not work...

    Let's see... you installed a new desktop and things don't work
    quite the same way anymore. Imagine that.

    > My Terminal option has vanished in the air. But now, under another name and
    > in a different place (Accessories) and tnx to a user here, I knew that
    > there's a Console (Consola, in Portuguese, my system language).
    >
    > How many days, I ask myself and ourselves here, will I spend until I can say
    > "Oh!, my new operating system ok great; you see, everything on it just works
    > perfectly"?"

    If you change something, yes you might have to adapt to the changes.

    Imagine that.

    The bit about the icon for "xterm" is a minor annoyance that should slow
    down any GUI user for all of 2 minutes.

    > I strongly believe this is the norm when wrestling the slimy turd called
    > Linux. cola liars will tell you differently, of course, but the forums are
    > FULL of people spending weeks trying to make the lousy software behave.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \