Ok so now it's time to get my Ubuntu system to talk to the HP Laserjet on
the PCLinuxOS system.

I make sure I have the printer shared, and that everyone can use it (I'm
behind a hardware firewall to the WAN) and so forth.
Samba is also running as the previous printer was also shared with several
Windows machines.

Ok, so I go into Ubuntu try to select a printer and I get some really
confusing dialog box.
It's got various selections for Samba printers, uri, ipp, lpd God knows
what else.
Fortunately there is a browse/probe button for each of them.
Unfortunately, it doesn't find anything.

So I try and ping the machine which like I said is running PCLinuxOS and I
can't even ping it.
Now that's odd.
I also can't see the shared directories on the network from Ubuntu.
Odd again.

Convinced it's a PCLinuxOS problem, I don't know why, I just was, I probe
around and get no place.

Finally, I figure out that way back I installed firestarter on the Ubuntu
I never configured it, but only played around with it and forgot to remove
it because I have no need for it.

I disable it and now I can browse the other system on the network.

Ok so I go back to the printer dialog and still it can't find the printer.

It's shared because my other machines can see it.

So on a whim I just try and print something and bingo the printer shows up
in the box, I select it as default, select it again from the ppd drop down
menu (stupid because if it already knows what printer I have why do I have
to tell it again?) and away it goes....

Ok, so I eat a little crow on this one.

I still don't know why the printer setup box didn't find it, but actually
trying to print did.
After I disabled the firewall of course.

It's now listed in the printer box and working fine.

So partial pilot error on this part of it.

Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
Please Visit www.linsux.org