[News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    Microsoft promises, fails to keep things simple for partners

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft today tried to convince UK channel partners that it’s working hard
    | to simplify its licensing terms, but many resellers have grumbled that the
    | firm hasn’t gone far enough yet.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...vices_channel/

    Microsoft: Bad things happen to firms that use unlicensed Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Companies that rely on unlicensed copies of Windows are more likely to
    | experience system failures and lose customer data, Microsoft Corp. said
    | today, citing a company-sponsored report.
    |
    | According to the research, which was conducted by the Harrison Group Inc. but
    | paid for by Microsoft, midsize companies -- those with more than 24 PCs and
    | fewer than 500 -- were 43% more likely to have had a critical system failure
    | lasting more than 24 hours if they used unlicensed Windows.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9115901

    "It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
    when there's not."

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --Bill Gates

    Related:

    Microsoft's $3 software is a cheap stunt

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But one UK charity boss says the offer of cheap software is
    | meaningless without any machines to run it on. "Without the
    | hardware it's like donating the tyres but not the tractor," said
    | Tony Roberts, CEO of Computer Aid International. "Currently
    | the price of a new PC in developing countries is GBP600. That's
    | higher than the average annual income per head in countries
    | such as Malawi [GBP300] and Zambia [GBP500]."
    `----

    Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
    | software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
    | Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
    |
    | Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
    | *
    | * "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
    | * people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
    | * As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
    | * They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
    | * collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
    `----

    http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/...t_billion.html

    Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the truth is that Microsoft is happy with the way Windows Vista
    | piracy is evolving. Is there a catch to this? No. The fact of the
    | matter is that Windows Vista has delivered a heavy blow to
    | software counterfeiters. The reason for this is the new Windows
    | Genuine Advantage security mechanism integrated into the
    | operating system.
    |
    | You may not notice this on the surface. On the surface, the
    | Internet is crawling with Windows Vista cracks, hacks and
    | workarounds. On the surface, every Windows Vista edition has
    | been cracked and is available for download via peer-to-peer
    | networks. But this is not the true extent of Windows Vista piracy.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...cy-50577.shtml

    Adobe targets school kids to get them hooked on software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Adobe is where the 'apps' are manufactured. These apps that have the
    | power to make images appear before our children's eyes. "There were
    | all these, like, stars, and they were rotating. It really captured
    | my attention," said Nigel, 14, hardly more than a child, but with
    | the vacant expression of a man who has spent hours looking at a
    | screen. Nigel has now discovered he needs glasses.
    `----

    $3 Windows a threat to Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Meanwhile, in the embedded market, Microsoft attempted to counter
    | the low costs of using embedded Linux with a $3 Windows CE licensing
    | program launched back in 2003.
    `----

    The real cost of $3 Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On that day, the Ubuntu home page was replaced with a bare page
    | under a headline that read "Ubuntu 7.04 - Well Done."
    |
    | There were just two sentences under the headline: "Thank you to
    | everyone who has helped make Ubuntu 7.04 a reality. Thousands of
    | you have helped code, test, translate and promote Ubuntu and
    | everyone can celebrate today's release."
    `----

    http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?...6_april24_2007

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds MorePropaganda

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:02:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    [snip]

    These rabid anti-MS posts of yours remind me of an old british comedy
    programme with the catch phrase 'never mind the quality feel the width'.

    IMNSHO, your anti-MS posts harm Linux advocacy rather than help it. A
    bit more quality would be a good step forward for you.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:51:59 +0000 (UTC), Rob Schwenk wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:02:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > These rabid anti-MS posts of yours remind me of an old british comedy
    > programme with the catch phrase 'never mind the quality feel the width'.
    >
    > IMNSHO, your anti-MS posts harm Linux advocacy rather than help it. A
    > bit more quality would be a good step forward for you.

    He doesn't care about Linux advocacy from the pov of advocacy.
    Roy is all about Roy.
    He cares about seeding google with his noise and generating hits to his
    various hate sites.

    If Linux disappeared tomorrow, Roy would find another method of self
    promotion.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    Rob Schwenk espoused:

    Snip another attack on Roy from a Motzarella user.

    another one for the killfiles, folks.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Rob Schwenk belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:02:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > These rabid anti-MS posts of yours remind me of an old british comedy
    > programme with the catch phrase 'never mind the quality feel the width'.
    >
    > IMNSHO, your anti-MS posts harm Linux advocacy rather than help it. A
    > bit more quality would be a good step forward for you.

    Who needs "quality"? The links speak for themselves.

    --
    This is a fantastic time to be entering the business world, because business
    is going to change more in the next 10 years than it has in the last 50.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Rob (flatty) Schwenk belched out this
    > bit o' wisdom:

    >> IMNSHO, your anti-MS posts harm Linux advocacy rather than help it.
    >> A bit more quality would be a good step forward for you.

    > Who needs "quality"? The links speak for themselves.

    Again the Trolls think that shooting the messenger will somehow kill the
    message.

    And this school-yard "you're just a hater" gibberish, that paints a
    picture of Microsoft as a poor; defenceless victim of unwarranted
    attacks by mindless bigots, conveniently overlooks the fact that there
    are highly justifiable /reasons/ to hate Microsoft, given their gangster
    mentality and behaviour. Just ask the DOJ.

    But I guess some people think that kind of behaviour is perfectly
    acceptable, and therefore anyone who dares speak out against it is
    simply bigoted. What these stupid Trolls fail to realise (or more likely
    simply have no scruples about) is that people who defend this immoral
    behaviour by attempting to stigmatise its critics, only serve to align
    themselves with that immorality, and assume guilt by association. Of
    course, in most cases they probably /are/ guilty, since these people are
    part of the same Shillcosystem that perpetrates these immoral/criminal
    activities in the first place (yes, Shilling is now a crime, in the EU
    at least). At the very least, they're guilty of crass stupidity; naivety
    or malice (or possible a combination of all three).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    18:40:50 up 47 days, 15:53, 5 users, load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.06

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    > Microsoft's new slogan: everyone is as "evil" as us.
    >
    > Another one: let's live in peace (but tomorrow we'll attack you from
    > the mountains).

    This really sums up their whole mentality ... "evil" is just a necessary
    part of the game, and therefore attacking others is par for the course.
    Therefore anyone who whines about this is some kind of "loony hypocrite"
    or something. I've said this before, but I really do not think they know
    they're doing anything wrong ("Greed is good", so doing anything, "evil"
    or otherwise, to achieve that goal is perfectly "acceptable").

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:45:47 up 48 days, 58 min, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.07

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    Homer espoused:

    >> Microsoft's new slogan: everyone is as "evil" as us.
    >>
    >> Another one: let's live in peace (but tomorrow we'll attack you from
    >> the mountains).

    > This really sums up their whole mentality ... "evil" is just a necessary
    > part of the game, and therefore attacking others is par for the course.
    > Therefore anyone who whines about this is some kind of "loony hypocrite"
    > or something. I've said this before, but I really do not think they know
    > they're doing anything wrong ("Greed is good", so doing anything, "evil"
    > or otherwise, to achieve that goal is perfectly "acceptable").

    This is the cultural problem which I believe has so infected their
    thinking that they're unable to see competition in any other way.

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Partners, Funds More Propaganda

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 03 October 2008 07:22 : \____
    >
    >> Homer espoused:

    >>> This really sums up their whole mentality ... "evil" is just a necessary
    >>> part of the game, and therefore attacking others is par for the course.
    >>> Therefore anyone who whines about this is some kind of "loony hypocrite"
    >>> or something. I've said this before, but I really do not think they know
    >>> they're doing anything wrong ("Greed is good", so doing anything, "evil"
    >>> or otherwise, to achieve that goal is perfectly "acceptable").
    >>>

    >> This is the cultural problem which I believe has so infected their
    >> thinking that they're unable to see competition in any other way.

    > It's also an obsession with /control/. This relates to revisionist that led
    > people to believe that proprietary is "normal" or "default", whereas open
    > source is something "new", even "disruptive". It's natural for the industry to
    > collaborate like it used to (Free software predates proprietary), but
    > Microsoft needed to /end/ this collaboration. And it says a lot.

    Well, open-source is new and disruptive for most people, however, I
    agree that it should not be seen as being in any way wrong, which I
    believe is what you're driving at.