Norwegians leave their Standards Body in protest

,----[ Quote ]
| 13 members of the TC in Norway has left their Standards Body in protest. They
| say that the Standards Body has lost its credibility in the IT area. Remember
| that Standards Norway was voting Yes with the support of only 2 companies
| (Microsoft and Statoil), and against the will of the rest of the technical
| committee.
|
| [...]
|
| Oslo, Monday 29 september 2008
|
| We, the undersigned, are ending our cooperation with Standard Norway.
|
| It is the play when organizations should have our common interest aimed
| to fail the task. Through the work of OOXML Standard Norway has shown,
| with a clear margin, that they are not fit to represent Norway in the
| ISO.
|
| "Standardization of formats for content on the Web is more important than
| ever. A large part of mankind's communication is done digitally, and
| all - ALL - to have the ability to read and write these formats," said
| Haakon Wium Lie.
|
| Standard Norway chose to defy their own technical committee and vote yes
| to a specification that is immature, useless, and unworthy to is called
| an ISO standard.
|
| To Standard Norway has carried this process we consider that the
| organization has lost its credibility in the IT area. Standards Norway
| has set its own commercial interests ahead of what is most societies
| server, technological and academic advisable. "By participating in a
| further work in Standard Norway will we lose our academic credibility,"
| said Arne S. Nielsen.
|
| Therefore, we choose to stay out.
|
| We end our cooperation with Standard Norway because:
|
| * Standard administration has taken the option to emphasize 37 letter
| from Microsoft partners more than their own technical committee.
| * Standard process in Norway has been unpredictable and playing rules
| have been changed by the administration along the way.
| * SN and ISO have committed a series of violations of their own rules
| and other irregularities in the OOXML process.
|
| The undersigned:
|
| 1. Haakon Wium Lie
| 2. Martin Bekkelund (NUUG)
| 3. Petter Reinholdtsen (NUUG)
| 4. Linpro AS v/ Trond Heier Linpro AS v / Trond Heier
| 5. Bjørn Venn
| 6. Steve Pepper
| 7. Arne Sigurd Rognan Nielsen
| 8. Henning Kulander
| 9. Axel Bojer
| 10. Geir Isene
| 11. Thomas Malt
| 12. Anthony Lardahl (NUUG)
| 13. Knut Olav Bøhmer Knut
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-93970...ody-in-protest

Recent:

The Norway Vote - What really happened

,----[ Quote ]
| But lo… at this point, the “rules” were changed. The VP asserted that “Ecma
| has clearly made steps in the right direction.” The most important thing now
| was to ensure that OOXML came under ISO’s control so that it could
| be “further improved”. However, the committee was not allowed to discuss
| this. * *
|
| * * The VP thereupon declared that there was no consensus, so the decision
| * * would be taken by Standard Norway.
|

| Halfway through the proceedings, a committee member had asked for (and
| received) assurance that the Chairman would take part in the final decision,
| as he had for the DIS vote back in August. It now transpired that the BRM
| participants had also been invited to stay behind. 23 people were therefore
| dismissed and we were down to seven. In addition to Standard Norway’s three,
| there were four “experts”: Microsoft Norway’s chief lobbyist, a guy from
| StatoilHydro (national oil company; big MS Office user), a K185 old-timer,
| and me. In one fell swoop the balance of forces had changed from 80/20 to
| 50/50 and the remaining experts discussed back and forth for 20 minutes or so
| without reaching any agreement. * * * *
|
| * * The VP thereupon declared that there was still no consensus, so the
| * * decision would be taken by Standard Norway.
|

| The experts were dismissed and the VP asked the opinion of the Secretary (who
| said “Yes”) and the JTC1 rep (who said “No”).
|
| * * The VP thereupon declared that there was still no consensus, so the
| * * decision would be taken by him.
|

| And his decision was to vote Yes.
|
| So this one bureaucrat, a man who by his own admission had no understanding
| of the technical issues, had chosen to ignore the advice of his Chairman, of
| 80% of his technical experts, and of 100% of the K185 old-timers. For the
| Chairman, only one course of action was possible. *
|
| [...]
|
| The meeting was a farce and the result was a scandal. But it’s not over yet,
| and one thing is clear: the “little one” is unfit to represent the interests
| of Norwegian users. It’s time he was told, “Roll over, roll over…” *
`----

http://topicmaps.wordpress.com/2008/...ally-happened/

Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
as standard

,----[ Quote ]
| OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
| demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
| Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
| Norway voting for the move. *
|
| [...]
|
| He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
| Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
| displayed "scandalous behavior." *
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...onstration.php

Photos: http://flickr.com/groups/750232@N22/pool/

OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412...xml-out-of-iso

Demonstration outside ISO conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
| deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
| place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
| with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary. *
|
| The demonstration will take place outside Håndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
| Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
|
| * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
| * Defend the integrity of ISO!
| * Microsoft: Support ODF!
| * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
| * Norway must say no to OOXML!
`----

http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/...so-conference/

2008-04 OOXML irregularities in Norway

,----[ Quote ]
| [...]
|
| * * * 2007: committee stuffing: the NS/K 185 committee grew from 6-7 persons
| * * to 30 persons due to the OOXML case...
`----

http://wiki.efn.no/2008-04_OOXML_irr...ties_in_Norway

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._projects.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato. *
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
| The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
| issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
| Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group. *
|
| As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
| standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
| requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
| standardisation process. *
|
| [...]
|
| “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
| the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
| ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
| standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg. *
|
| In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
| cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
| market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
| Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
| specification doesn't work with those of competitors. * *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/

Related:

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique. *
`----

Norway and OOXML

,----[ Quote ]