Gimp 2.6 released - Linux

This is a discussion on Gimp 2.6 released - Linux ; ----- GIMP*2.6 is an important release from a development point of view. It features changes to the user interface addressing some often received complaints, and a tentative integration of GEGL, the graph based image processing library that will eventually bring ...

  1. Gimp 2.6 released

    -----
    GIMP*2.6 is an important release from a development point of
    view. It features changes to the user interface addressing
    some often received complaints, and a tentative integration
    of GEGL, the graph based image processing library that will
    eventually bring high bit-depth and non-destructive editing
    to GIMP.
    -----

    Well, at least they are working toward non-destructive editing. Excellent,
    perhaps, for being free but for those who compare this to Photoshop and
    claim it is similar they are fooling themselves.

    --
    It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
    speech. -- Mark Twain

  2. Re: Gimp 2.6 released

    Snit wrote:

    > Well, at least they are working toward non-destructive editing. Excellent,
    > perhaps, for being free but for those who compare this to Photoshop and
    > claim it is similar they are fooling themselves.

    It's similar to Photoshop, but it's not a Photoshop replacement. Then again,
    most Photoshop users use only a tiny fraction of its capabilities.

    For ordinary photo editing, the Gimp is a suitable replacement for Photoshop
    - if you're primarily going to be touching up and resizing for print or web
    use.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Limit Congress to 2 terms: one in office, one in jail!

    Good to the last supper

  3. Re: Gimp 2.6 released

    Tattoo Vampire writes:

    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> Well, at least they are working toward non-destructive editing. Excellent,
    >> perhaps, for being free but for those who compare this to Photoshop and
    >> claim it is similar they are fooling themselves.

    > It's similar to Photoshop, but it's not a Photoshop replacement. Then again,
    > most Photoshop users use only a tiny fraction of its capabilities.
    >
    > For ordinary photo editing, the Gimp is a suitable replacement for Photoshop
    > - if you're primarily going to be touching up and resizing for print or web
    > use.

    I used to use photoshop elements.

    Gimp more than replaces it for my basic requirements.

    And it is getting better now that the dinosaurs are passing things on to
    the younger element who are willing to conform to "ridiculous standards"
    and to actually ask users what they want instead of telling users what
    they are getting.

    --
    "Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
    chrisv, COLA.

  4. Re: Gimp 2.6 released

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > For ordinary photo editing, the Gimp is a suitable replacement for Photoshop
    > - if you're primarily going to be touching up and resizing for print or web
    > use.

    Scratch print use - it doesn't support CMYK.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....On the other hand, you have different fingers.

    Good to the last supper

  5. Re: Gimp 2.6 released

    "Hadron" stated in post
    gc1bu5$em$1@registered.motzarella.org on 10/1/08 7:34 PM:

    > Tattoo Vampire writes:
    >
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, at least they are working toward non-destructive editing. Excellent,
    >>> perhaps, for being free but for those who compare this to Photoshop and
    >>> claim it is similar they are fooling themselves.

    >> It's similar to Photoshop, but it's not a Photoshop replacement. Then again,
    >> most Photoshop users use only a tiny fraction of its capabilities.
    >>
    >> For ordinary photo editing, the Gimp is a suitable replacement for Photoshop
    >> - if you're primarily going to be touching up and resizing for print or web
    >> use.

    > I used to use photoshop elements.
    >
    > Gimp more than replaces it for my basic requirements.

    I would say (and have said) Gimp is more similar to the editor in Photoshop
    Elements than it is to Photoshop. And, yes, for basic requirements it is
    fine - seems they are even trying to make the UI decent.

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and

  6. Re: Gimp 2.6 released

    "Tattoo Vampire" stated in post
    buevua0o359q.dlg@this.domain.or.that on 10/1/08 7:30 PM:

    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> Well, at least they are working toward non-destructive editing. Excellent,
    >> perhaps, for being free but for those who compare this to Photoshop and
    >> claim it is similar they are fooling themselves.

    > It's similar to Photoshop, but it's not a Photoshop replacement. Then again,
    > most Photoshop users use only a tiny fraction of its capabilities.

    Sure - many Photoshop users could use just Photoshop elements.

    > For ordinary photo editing, the Gimp is a suitable replacement for Photoshop
    > - if you're primarily going to be touching up and resizing for print or web
    > use.

    Yeah - it is more like Elements though than like Photoshop.

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  7. Re: Gimp 2.6 released

    "Tattoo Vampire" stated in post
    1vs4oiduxglzj$.dlg@this.domain.or.that on 10/1/08 7:38 PM:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> For ordinary photo editing, the Gimp is a suitable replacement for Photoshop
    >> - if you're primarily going to be touching up and resizing for print or web
    >> use.

    > Scratch print use - it doesn't support CMYK.

    Well, non-pro print use it can be adaquate.

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread