realXtend Open Source Virtual Reality Platform Accelerates With Growing

,----[ Quote ]
| Working in cooperation with the City of Oulu, Finland and Oulu Innovation,
| Global Connexus today announced that the realXtend open source virtual
| reality platform adoption is accelerating, extending the support of an
| interconnected network of 3D virtual worlds with rich, multi-user
| experiences. Nokia and the City of Oulu, Finland have joined the supporters
| of the realXtend project aimed at developing the world's best virtual world
| platform on an open source basis.

The university of tomorrow could be in a virtual world.

,----[ Quote ]
| Many universities today have a campus built on the Second Life online
| platform. Sun has gone one better and built their own platform from the
| ground up and in Sun tradition, it is an open source project.

"The Internet? We are not interested in it."

--Bill Gates, 1993

3-D virtual reality environment developed at UC San Diego helps scientists

,----[ Quote ]
| Each pair of projectors is powered by a high-end, quad-core PC running on
| Linux, with dual graphics processing units and dual network cards to achieve
| gigabit Ethernet or 10GigE networking.

IBM and Linden Lab Interoperability Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a historic day for Second Life, and for virtual worlds in general.
| IBM and Linden Lab have announced that research teams from the two companies
| successfully teleported avatars from the Second Life Preview Grid into a
| virtual world running on an OpenSim server, marking the first time an avatar
| has moved from one virtual world to another.
| [...]
| An open standard for interoperability based on the Open Grid Protocol would
| allow users to cross freely from one world to another, just as they can go
| from one Web site to another on the Internet today.

Beyond Second Life: Virtual Worlds' Second Wind

,----[ Quote ]
| Moreover, Google seems to have shot itself in the foot by requiring Lively
| users (Liveliers? Livelivers??) to be running Windows XP or Vista. It can
| hardly be beyond the wit of the massed Google geniuses to come up with a
| cross-platform solution that runs on GNU/Linux and the Mac as well. Maybe
| this focus on Windows reflects the kind of user they expect to get excited
| about creating an avatar (wow!) and chatting with friends in rooms you design
| (far out, man!). It's hard not to see Lively as another Orkut, Google's
| me-too social network that nobody outside members of certain Brazilian
| subcultures seems to use these days.

Semantic Wonderland

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the most impressive demos at JavaOne was the open sourced
| Project Wonderland which James Gosling presented during his Toy
| show. It is a virtual world that grew out of project Looking Glass,
| the 2.5D Java Desktop that was unveiled a couple of years ago.
| [...]
| Apparently one gets the best out of wonderland by running it on Linux,
| as one can then interact with real X applications.

Watch out Second Life: China launches virtual universe with seven million

,----[ Quote ]
| Second Life's supporters claim it has three "killer" applications.
| First, unlike the internet, it has a system for micropayments using
| its own currency, Linden dollars, which are convertible into real
| dollars. Second, unlike other virtual worlds such as the massively
| popular World of Warcraft, it lets residents keep the intellectual
| property rights to what they create. Third, its owner, Linden Lab,
| recently welcomed the "open source" movement, allowing anyone
| qualified to create their own applications whether games,e
| ducation or business projects.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)