[News] Linux Rises as Economy Falls, Solaris Misunderstood - Linux

  1. [News] Linux Rises as Economy Falls, Solaris Misunderstood

    Financial Crisis Offers Opportunity for Linux, Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, says technologies
    | such as Linux and open-source software can help enterprises cut costs during
    | tough economic times. Zemlin says users should look to open source and Linux,
    | systems management tools, and virtualization technology to keep budgets in
    | line.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-O...Source/?kc=rss
    http://tinyurl.com/4y86x6

    Sensational and regrettable: Zemlin on NYT Solaris claims

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few days back, the New York Times online ran what was, for many, a
    | sensational headline about Sun's Solaris: "Is Sun's Solaris on its deathbed?"
    | While the piece was not written by its own staff, the fact that what many
    | still consider to be a newspaper with some credibility ran with such a story
    | did evoke plenty of reaction.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20898/1090/

    Recent:

    Linux experiences 'prolific' growth, says Linux Foundation's Zemlin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Zemlin: The Linux platform is experiencing prolific growth in all aspects of
    | computing, from embedded system to mobile applications and high-performance
    | computing [HPC]. Linux is everywhere, from Google to Facebook, [from] cell
    | phones to cash registers and ATMs. It's growing faster than any other
    | platform and increasing its overall share of the market.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...319455,00.html
    http://tinyurl.com/5soha8

    Linux still super in Top500

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the June 2008 Top500 list, Linux still lives large with a role in 92% of
    | systems (It is the only OS for 85.4%, but when considering all distributions
    | (SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and general ‘Linux,’ as well as mixed uses that
    | include Linux, I figure the share is more like the 92%).
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...per-in-top500/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Rises as Economy Falls, Solaris Misunderstood

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:07:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Financial Crisis Offers Opportunity for Linux, Open Source
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux Foundation, says technologies
    >| such as Linux and open-source software can help enterprises cut costs during
    >| tough economic times. Zemlin says users should look to open source and Linux,
    >| systems management tools, and virtualization technology to keep budgets in
    >| line.

    Of course he says that, look who he works for.

    Clue: In these rough financial times Information Technology stays static.

    If anything, Linux is going to suffer yet another roadblock.

    The cost of conversion is heavily front loaded and while the roi and tco
    might be better in the long run, things are currently operating in the
    short term.
    Like, very short term.
    Like days....

    --