[News] Instructions for Making Pretty (and Productive) GNU/Linux Desktops - Linux

  1. [News] Instructions for Making Pretty (and Productive) GNU/Linux Desktops

    Three Little Things To Make Your Ubuntu Desktop Beautiful and Productive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How can you make your Ubuntu desktop look beautiful and be productive at the
    | same time? With these three things...
    `----

    http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/04/1...nd-productive/

    Linux for Older PCs : From Ubuntu to Vector Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The best way to really speed up things is by choosing a lower desktop
    | resolution. It really works but would you wish to give up your crisp high
    | resolution for a faded 16 bit low res? The choice is yours, speed vs looks.
    | And yeah, forget compiz. The last one really hurt.. right? Enjoy your linux
    | experience, and please do give VL a try.
    `----

    http://anojrs.blogspot.com/2008/09/l...ubuntu-to.html

    Recent:

    Make Your Linux Desktop More Productive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are positively addictive productivity apps available for Linux, along
    | with tools to make switching between Linux and other systems easy, or just
    | running Windows programs themselves if you need to. Today we're detailing a
    | Linux desktop that helps you move quickly, work with Windows, and just get
    | things done; read on for a few suggestions on setting it up.
    `----

    http://lifehacker.com/5048628/make-y...ore-productive

    21 of the Best Free Linux Productivity Tools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the essential ingredients to running a successful business is
    | maintaining an advantage over your competition. Many different types of
    | computer software can significantly enhance performance at the workplace, or
    | in the home. A polished office suite, a reliable backup system, an intuitive
    | desktop environment, even a welcome break from reality with an immersive game
    | all have their part to play in helping users achieve their maximum potential.
    `----

    http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20...ductivity.html

    Be a Productive Linux User

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Use Terminator: Terminator is a nice way to free your valuable screen space
    | from multiple terminal windows. Instead of using one terminal window for each
    | task, divide an existing window horizontally or vertically each time you need
    | a new terminal window. So if you find yourself using 8 terminal windows, you
    | can use Terminator and pack your terminals into 2 windows.
    `----

    http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/08/26...ve-linux-user/

    Be super-productive with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It might sound a bit weird but the kind of Operating System you’re probably
    | using may affect your productivity at work! Though, a user is a more
    | responsible entity when it comes to productivity, but somewhere
    | down-the-line, we can hold your operating system responsible for the same.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Reasons why Linux may be productive
    |
    | * * * The power of command line..
    |
    | * * * Customization...
    |
    | * * [...]
    `----

    http://brajeshwar.com/2008/be-super-...ve-with-linux/

    Why Open Source contributes to productivity

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source software has become quite popular lately and I think it’s awesome
    | that free software like Amarok, Open Office, GIMP and so on, are becoming so
    | good that they not only rival their paid counterparts, but surpass them in
    | many ways. *
    `----

    http://hackyourday.com/2008/03/25/wh...-productivity/

    Kubuntu days...productive days

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, what is the point? It is that, for non technical users, as I am, Kubuntu
    | have reached a point where I'm able to do with linux everything I used to be
    | able to do in windows, install it, make partitions, configure a network,
    | install apps, share printers and directories, configure wifi devices, create
    | users, etc. very easily. In fact, I can do more things now that I could in
    | windows. * *
    |
    | We can improve a lot though, but it has been a confirmation of what I already
    | knew (we all know). With linux I'm more productive, even in tedious actions
    | like the ones I've done these days. *
    `----

    http://toscalix.blogspot.com/2008/02...tive-days.html

    Matthias Ettrich: The KDE-Man!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nobody in their right mind would choose Windows over GNU/Linux based on the
    | desktop experience alone, says Matthias Ettrich.
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/25412/news.htm

    Related:

    Switching from KDE to WinXP #2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Conclusion
    |
    | I have looked at several features that KDE?s Konqueror has but that
    | WinXP's Explorer doesn't have. I have also mentioned a few of the
    | things I don't like about Explorer and often why I think Konqueror's way of
    | doing it is better. You may have noticed that there is nothing positive
    | about Explorer. That is true and it is not for lack of trying. The fact is,
    | for me, the way I work, there is just nothing special about Explorer. I
    | didn't find any feature that struck me as being especially cool or useful
    | that Konqueror didn?t also have.
    |
    | Switching from KDE to WindowsXP at work has seriously impaired my
    | productivity.
    `----

    http://www.osugisakae.com/tech/2007/...de-to-winxp-2/

  2. Re: [News] Instructions for Making Pretty (and Productive) GNU/Linux Desktops

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 22:03:12 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Three Little Things To Make Your Ubuntu Desktop Beautiful and Productive

    More old news and reposts....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: