Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid's Theme

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu users were promised a radical new desktop theme with Ubuntu 8.04 and
| then that ended up getting postponed to the upcoming 8.10 release (a.k.a. the
| Intrepid Ibex). There was a new brown theme that had appeared early on in
| Intrepid but many users were dissatisfied with this work and Canonical ended
| up reverting the theme to that of Ubuntu 8.04 and earlier. Though with the
| Intrepid artwork final deadline passing last week, what does the desktop look
| like in the Ubuntu 8.10 Beta release due out this week? Here are some
| screenshots.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Njc1NA

Gmail+Weather+Beauty right on your Ubuntu desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever wished that you had new mails notifications right on your desktop? Ever
| wished you knew the weather info right on your desktop? Ever wished you had
| your hardware information right on your desktop? Ever wished your desktop was
| productive and beautiful at the same time? Ever wished you didn’t have to use
| Mac4Lin theme to hide the ‘ugliness’ of Ubuntu’s native appearance?
`----

http://www.quicktweaks.com/2008/09/2...buntu-desktop/

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..."

--Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst

Recent:

Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" (Alpha 6): first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| The second good thing that I have noticed is that it is gorgeous to look at.
| Compiz (the 3D desktop) is enabled by default, so I get all the nice 3D
| effects. This is pretty incredible as I have an onboard video card which
| shares 128MB of the system RAM. Vista's Aero would just laugh at this video
| card and tell it to grow up!
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20793/1162/1/0/

Ubuntu Ibex Alpha 6 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| This alpha 6 release is shipped with the latest Gnome 2.23.92, which is a
| testing and development series for the upcoming Gnome 2.24. Hopefully, we can
| see the 2.24 in action in the beta release of Ubuntu Ibex.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/ubuntu-ibe...iew/2008/09/23

Review: Xubuntu 8.10 'Intrepid Ibex' Alpha 6

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're planning on gaming on an older machine but have an affection for
| Ubuntu, then Xubuntu is an obvious choice. Games these days eat quite a lot
| of resources, and with LCD screens almost enforcing you to use native
| resolutions your older machine will be working overtime to pump out the
| pixels. From what I've seen, Xubuntu is stable even at this stage of
| development (just over a month to go to the final version) and I'd recommend
| it to anyone with an older machine who is wanting to access the new goodies
| in the Ibex repositories.
`----

http://www.headshotgamer.com/review.aspx?id=75

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6 [screenshots]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d_alpha6&num=1