[News] Linux Filesystems Put Microsoft Windows to Shame (and Apple Macs, Of Course) - Linux

  1. [News] Linux Filesystems Put Microsoft Windows to Shame (and Apple Macs, Of Course)

    Adding a new hard disk to Linux, and why the Linux filesystem trounces Windows'
    butt

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Adding a second (or third or more!) hard drive to your computer is a great
    | way to, well, give your computer more disk space. Ok, the concept is pretty
    | logical but the process to make it work needs some explanation. Here’s what
    | to do, plus one thing the Linux filesystem does brilliantly which Windows
    | can’t do at all.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20943/1141/

    Recent:

    Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Why I’m leaving Mac
    |
    | * *1. Crap file management.The Finder doesn’t work for me. No location bar
    | * *and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
    | * *move files around the way I want to.
    | * *2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
    | * *panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
    | * *however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
    | * *applications or files on them, and you can’t even put in a separator to
    | * *keep them organized.
    | * *3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
    | * * * * * * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
    | * * * * * only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
    | * * * * * annoying when the program you’re using is on the second monitor.
    | * * * * * * the date/time doesn’t open to a navigable calendar. I often use
    | * * * * * this to check dates in the past or future.
    | * * * * * * you can’t see hidden files unless you run a command from the
    | * * * * * terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
    | * * * * * or always off.
    `----

    http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29...ntu-switching/

    Dell Mini Inspiron 9

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m living the dream, I tell you! I’ve swapped my MacBook for a Dell Mini and
    | so far the experience has been pretty positive.
    `----

    http://jonrob.wordpress.com/2008/09/...ni-inspiron-9/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Filesystems Put Microsoft Windows to Shame (and Apple Macs, Of Course)

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 21:47:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why Im switching

    How many times have you posted this already Schestowitz?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread