German Pension Fund Moves to Linux on the Mainframe Using Clerity's UniKix
Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Approximately 3.5 million lines of code and 2,500 CICS-COBOL programs,
| serving up to 5,000 simultaneous users, will be moved during this project.
| Since GRVS maintains life-long data for all workers in its system, the
| detailed calculations it performs will need to be replicated on the UniKix
| TPE and Linux on System z partition.
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprns...?storyid=14571

Quote for the day:

"Windows 98 without Internet Explorer 4 is a working operation system and
Internet Explorer 4.0 is not an vital part of Windows 98."

* * * * * * * * --Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

Recent:

An Earthshaking Use of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A German scientific institute migrated to Linux and open-source software to
| monitor global seismic activity data for compliance with the nuclear test ban
| treaty.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/426363/An..._Open_Source/1

Debian GNU/Linux powers Max Planck Institute 32.8 TFlops supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| A team of scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
| have created Germany's 4th largest supercomputer by using Debian GNU/Linux.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1250-Debian-...anck-Institute

Ubuntu In Popular Culture

,----[ Quote ]