Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators? - Linux ; On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:37:18 +0200, Hadron wrote: > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes: > >> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:25:05 +0200, Hadron wrote: >> >> >>> Hilarious. Note the change of tone as Liarnut gets schooled again. You >>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73

  1. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:37:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:25:05 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hilarious. Note the change of tone as Liarnut gets schooled again. You
    >>> can tell he was being derisory and shilling Ignoramous from the "let"
    >>> bit. He actually thought, like most of the tits in this NG, that Windows
    >>> servers do not have such facilities. They still confuse their Win 3.1
    >>> days with corporate server infrastructures.

    >> LiarMutt tends to be wrong about a lot of things and his "scatter shilling"
    >> of Roy and others posts just confirms his total ignorance.
    >>
    >> It is funny watching him scramble around attempting damage control after
    >> one of his screw ups.

    > I particularly enjoyed this "damage control". It was such a blatant
    > about turn and his "homely, pally friendly techy" ruse did not obscure
    > the egg yolk dripping off his nose once more.
    >
    > Lets revisit it with commentary!
    >
    > Liarmutt, all sneering condescension:
    >
    > 'How do you "let" the Windows machines do that?'
    >
    > Tom, polite but cold, factual and accurate:
    >
    > 'Group Policy and WSUS.'
    >
    > (you could almost hear the "you ignorant dickhead" tacked onto the end)
    >
    > Liarnut, all flustered and red faced knowing its too late to get out
    > of it but trying anyway:
    >
    > 'Ah, thanks Tom! (As you can tell, I don't do much Windows maintenance,
    > DFS's demented shriekings to the contrary.)'
    >
    > Also notice the reference to DFS who knows more about Windows than
    > Liarnut ever could. A smoke screen attempting to shield the viewers eyes
    > from Liarmutt's red face and cold sweat that resulted from being owned
    > again.

    Good analysis!
    Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 20:37:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> LiarMutt tends to be wrong about a lot of things and his "scatter
    >>> shilling" of Roy and others posts just confirms his total ignorance.
    >>>
    >>> It is funny watching him scramble around attempting damage control after
    >>> one of his screw ups.

    >> I particularly enjoyed this "damage control". It was such a blatant
    >> about turn and his "homely, pally friendly techy" ruse did not obscure
    >> the egg yolk dripping off his nose once more.
    >>
    >> Lets revisit it with commentary!
    >>
    >> Liarmutt, all sneering condescension:
    >>
    >> 'How do you "let" the Windows machines do that?'
    >>
    >> Tom, polite but cold, factual and accurate:
    >>
    >> 'Group Policy and WSUS.'
    >>
    >> (you could almost hear the "you ignorant dickhead" tacked onto the end)
    >>
    >> Liarnut, all flustered and red faced knowing its too late to get out
    >> of it but trying anyway:
    >>
    >> 'Ah, thanks Tom! (As you can tell, I don't do much Windows maintenance,
    >> DFS's demented shriekings to the contrary.)'
    >>
    >> Also notice the reference to DFS who knows more about Windows than
    >> Liarnut ever could. A smoke screen attempting to shield the viewers eyes
    >> from Liarmutt's red face and cold sweat that resulted from being owned
    >> again.

    > Good analysis!
    > Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.

    It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly
    --
    The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
    the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

  3. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >
    >> Quack snotted:
    >>>
    >>> I particularly enjoyed this "damage control". It was such a blatant
    >>> about turn and his "homely, pally friendly techy" ruse did not obscure
    >>> the egg yolk dripping off his nose once more.
    >>>
    >>> Lets revisit it with commentary!
    >>>
    >>> Liarmutt, all sneering condescension:
    >>>
    >>> 'How do you "let" the Windows machines do that?'
    >>>
    >>> Tom, polite but cold, factual and accurate:
    >>>
    >>> 'Group Policy and WSUS.'

    >> Good analysis!
    >> Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.

    >It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly

    There sure is a lot of Wintroll masturbation going-on over a simple
    question asked. Linonut didn't know something about Windows, so he
    asked. What's wrong with that?

  4. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48e51957$0$6567$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/2/08 11:56 AM:

    >>> Also notice the reference to DFS who knows more about Windows than
    >>> Liarnut ever could. A smoke screen attempting to shield the viewers eyes
    >>> from Liarmutt's red face and cold sweat that resulted from being owned
    >>> again.

    >> Good analysis!
    >> Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.
    >>

    > It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly

    Sort of like your "me too-ing" of Steve Carroll's idiotic BS about me using
    sock puppets and your "me too-ing" of Sandman's idiotic accusations of me
    forging PDFs, eh?

    You are the king of the me-toos. You cannot even come up with original BS
    insults and accusations - you just borrow the drivel of other moronic
    trolls.

    --
    But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price, who is not too
    concerned about freedom, I don't think we can say the Linux desktop offers

  5. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Why would updating a program be a problem in these circumstances?
    > Replacing a program is not done by killing a process and restarting it.

    Unfortunately Debian and its derivatives seem trigger happy about
    stopping a service before upgrading it. I can't speak for the Redhat
    rpm-based distributions, though; can anyone else contribute?

    Chris

  6. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >>mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >>> Quack snotted:

    >>> Good analysis!
    >>> Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.

    >>It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly

    > There sure is a lot of Wintroll masturbation going-on over a simple
    > question asked. Linonut didn't know something about Windows, so he
    > asked. What's wrong with that?

    Nothing. Moshe and Hadron are just being snotty little assholes.

    Not to mention completely missing the point of my question, which was a
    hint (too subtle for Hadron, obviously) that you don't "let" Windows
    update from your network -- you have to set it up.

    --
    Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.
    -- Nelson Algren

  7. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    On 2008-10-02, Chris Davies wrote:
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >> So you think that killing, say, the web server or the database engine while
    >> in the middle of a customer transaction isn't a problem? There are quite
    >> significant differences in how you can admin a server and a workstation
    >> unless you want to be unpopular.

    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> Why would updating a program be a problem in these circumstances?
    >> Replacing a program is not done by killing a process and restarting it.

    > Unfortunately Debian and its derivatives seem trigger happy about
    > stopping a service before upgrading it. I can't speak for the Redhat
    > rpm-based distributions, though; can anyone else contribute?

    I would expect that this is entirely a matter of the tastes
    of the person building the relevant packages.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  8. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) nymshifted:

    >>> I particularly enjoyed this "damage control". It was such a blatant
    >>> about turn and his "homely, pally friendly techy" ruse did not obscure
    >>> the egg yolk dripping off his nose once more.
    >>>
    >>> Lets revisit it with commentary!
    >>>
    >>> Liarmutt, all sneering condescension:
    >>>
    >>> 'How do you "let" the Windows machines do that?'
    >>>
    >>> Tom, polite but cold, factual and accurate:
    >>>
    >>> 'Group Policy and WSUS.'
    >>>
    >>> (you could almost hear the "you ignorant dickhead" tacked onto the end)
    >>>
    >>> Liarnut, all flustered and red faced knowing its too late to get out
    >>> of it but trying anyway:
    >>>
    >>> 'Ah, thanks Tom! (As you can tell, I don't do much Windows maintenance,
    >>> DFS's demented shriekings to the contrary.)'
    >>>
    >>> Also notice the reference to DFS who knows more about Windows than
    >>> Liarnut ever could. A smoke screen attempting to shield the viewers eyes
    >>> from Liarmutt's red face and cold sweat that resulted from being owned
    >>> again.

    >> Good analysis!
    >> Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.

    > It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly

    What? Hadron being unpleasant? Hadron stretching hard to try to find
    some way to ridicule me? Hadron completely missing (or misrepresenting
    what went on? Hadron, the great denouncer of boot-licking "me too" posts,
    hypocritically engaging in same with Moshe? Say it ain't so!

    Hadron's just trying to get back at me for the Queeg thingie.

    Otherwise, how can you explain him making such raucous fun of me asking
    how something was done on Windows when >gasp< I did not know how to do
    it? Like I said, I don't do much Windows maintenance, and certainly
    have never set up a group policy, and had never heard of WSUS until
    today.

    --
    I would gladly raise my voice in praise of women, only they won't let me
    raise my voice.

  9. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    The liar Michael Glasser (Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets) snotted:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    > 48e51957$0$6567$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/2/08 11:56 AM:

    >>> Good analysis!
    >>> Kelsey tends to do the same thing BTW.
    >>>

    >> It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly

    > Sort of like your "me too-ing" of Steve Carroll's idiotic BS about me
    > using sock puppets and your "me too-ing" of Sandman's idiotic accusations
    > of me forging PDFs, eh?
    >
    > You are the king of the me-toos. You cannot even come up with original BS
    > insults and accusations - you just borrow the drivel of other moronic
    > trolls.

    Idiot
    --
    Tact, n.:
    The unsaid part of what you're thinking.

  10. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > chrisv belched:
    >>
    >> There sure is a lot of Wintroll masturbation going-on over a simple
    >> question asked. Linonut didn't know something about Windows, so he
    >> asked. What's wrong with that?

    >Nothing. Moshe and Hadron are just being snotty little assholes.
    >
    >Not to mention completely missing the point of my question, which was a
    >hint (too subtle for Hadron, obviously) that you don't "let" Windows
    >update from your network -- you have to set it up.

    Well, the trolling fsckwits will always try to twist everything you
    write into something that makes you look bad, even if they make
    compete jackasses of themselves in the process. Typical.

  11. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, chrisv belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv belched:
    >>>
    >>> There sure is a lot of Wintroll masturbation going-on over a simple
    >>> question asked. Linonut didn't know something about Windows, so he
    >>> asked. What's wrong with that?

    >>Nothing. Moshe and Hadron are just being snotty little assholes.
    >>
    >>Not to mention completely missing the point of my question, which was a
    >>hint (too subtle for Hadron, obviously) that you don't "let" Windows
    >>update from your network -- you have to set it up.

    > Well, the trolling fsckwits will always try to twist everything you
    > write into something that makes you look bad, even if they make
    > compete jackasses of themselves in the process. Typical.

    I expect nothing less from them. Heck, I rag on Hadron all too often
    for his relentless unpleasantness, quixotic misconstruing of simple
    situations, confabulation, deprecation of sincere open-source efforts,
    apparent absence of anything constuctive to say, imperviousness to
    nuance, and Queeg-like suspicion of the motives of others.

    So now he should blow me a kiss?

    I am a bit surprised at how over-the-top Hadron got, though. Bad
    strategy. Moderation is the key to a good troll. I thought Hadron
    had learned that by now.

    Perhaps he is well into dipping his whiskers by now, this being late
    Friday. That could explain his impulsiveness.

    Have a good one, Hadron!

    --
    All celebrity voices impersonated.

  12. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    On 2008-10-02, Chris Davies wrote:
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >> So you think that killing, say, the web server or the database engine while
    >> in the middle of a customer transaction isn't a problem? There are quite
    >> significant differences in how you can admin a server and a workstation
    >> unless you want to be unpopular.

    > Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >> Why would updating a program be a problem in these circumstances?
    >> Replacing a program is not done by killing a process and restarting it.

    > Unfortunately Debian and its derivatives seem trigger happy about
    > stopping a service before upgrading it. I can't speak for the Redhat
    > rpm-based distributions, though; can anyone else contribute?

    Dunno much about Redhat these days but Gentoo doesn't stop for anything.
    Graphics drivers, KDE updates... I just keep working away. The only time
    it needs a reboot is to install a new kernel.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    On 2008-10-02, dennis@home wrote:

    > "The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message
    >
    >>> So you think that killing, say, the web server or the database engine
    >>> while in the middle of a customer transaction isn't a problem? There are
    >>> quite significant differences in how you can admin a server and a
    >>> workstation unless you want to be unpopular.

    >> Well thats why there are kill levels. to allow things to shut down
    >> gracefully.

    > You know that and I know that but Peter probably doesn't.

    Peter does, but it is an irrelevant point. Apps don't need to be stopped
    and restarted during a update.

    > He thinks an update has been done even though the old code is still running.

    He is correct. The old code keeps running, until a new instance is
    started. Why is this a problem?

    > I wonder if I can find an application that writes its config out when it
    > exits so it overwrites the new one installed by the update?
    > Nah, nobody would ever do something that stupid. ;-)

    Not on Gentoo you won't. You go back after the update and merge the new
    config files with the old... Not a problem... Gentoo NEVER overwrites
    config files unless the user directs them to overwrite them.

    I don't think you know anything at all about Linux. As usual, you
    bluster your way around here.... misinforming all and sundry.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  14. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    dennis@home wrote:

    >>> Well you wouldn't do it like that under windows.
    >>> You would load the SW onto a server and then let the windows machines
    >>> automatically download and update.

    >> How do you "let" the Windows machines do that?

    > That is the difference between knowing about something and chucking out
    > cr@p statements like some in this group.
    >
    >>> I guess its the difference between someone that knows how to design and
    >>> manage a few hundred machines and some cowboy that manages four or five
    >>> machines.. one needs to know how to do things the proper way, the

    Get off the dime, wintard, Do you know how to do the update
    or not?

    I'll believe it when you can write it out in 20 steps or less.

    technomaNge
    --
    The operat~1 system I use at work
    unders~1 long filena~1,

  15. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48e53767$0$17117$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net on 10/2/08 2:04 PM:

    > The liar Michael Glasser (Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets) snotted:
    >
    >> "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    >> 48e51957$0$6567$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net on 10/2/08 11:56 AM:

    >>> It is really adorable how you guys "me too" constantly

    >> Sort of like your "me too-ing" of Steve Carroll's idiotic BS about me
    >> using sock puppets and your "me too-ing" of Sandman's idiotic accusations
    >> of me forging PDFs, eh?
    >>
    >> You are the king of the me-toos. You cannot even come up with original BS
    >> insults and accusations - you just borrow the drivel of other moronic
    >> trolls.

    > Idiot

    The absolute *best* response Peter Köhlmann can give - meaningless name
    calling while he continues to make accusations even he knows he will never
    even try to support.

    --
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
    that take our breath away.

  16. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "technomaNge" wrote in message
    > news:HUeFk.41356$XT1.28853@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> That is the difference between knowing about something and chucking out
    >>> cr@p statements like some in this group.

    >> Get off the dime, wintard, Do you know how to do the update
    >> or not?
    >>
    >> I'll believe it when you can write it out in 20 steps or less.

    > What do I care what you believe?
    > It can be done as others already know.

    It might be. But you certainly don't know /how/
    Otherwise you would not evade the question

    > If you want to know you can ask one of those "really stupid" MCSE types to
    > educate you.

    Why would he want to know how to run minesweeper? Those MCSE types are not
    much better than school dropouts. 99% of them are simply oxygen thiefs

    > You won't get any windows help in a ubuntu group from me, especially as
    > you don't really want it.

    Well, I don't think that was what he wanted.
    You should provide the outlines of how "simple" (or rather, complicated) the
    windows way is, compared to the linux way.

    You failed
    --
    Microsoft software doesn't get released - it escapes, leaving
    a trail of destruction behind it.

  17. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "technomaNge" wrote in message
    > news:HUeFk.41356$XT1.28853@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..

    >>> That is the difference between knowing about something and chucking
    >>> out cr@p statements like some in this group.

    >> Get off the dime, wintard, Do you know how to do the update
    >> or not?
    >>
    >> I'll believe it when you can write it out in 20 steps or less.

    > What do I care what you believe?
    > It can be done as others already know.
    > If you want to know you can ask one of those "really stupid" MCSE types
    > to educate you.

    Hoity Toity.

    > You won't get any windows help in a ubuntu group from me, especially as
    > you don't really want it.

    sure thats not because you are talking out yer anus?

    seems equally plausible to me.

  18. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    The Secretary of HomIntern, ye musty hog sucker, you kiss by the book,
    ye asseverated:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:04:39 +0200, Peter Köhlmann k'lamed:
    >> The liar Michael Glasser (Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets) snotted:
    >>> "Peter Köhlmann" stated:

    >>> Sort of like your "me too-ing" of Steve Carroll's idiotic BS about me
    >>> using sock puppets and your "me too-ing" of Sandman's idiotic
    >>> accusations of me forging PDFs, eh?
    >>>
    >>> You are the king of the me-toos. You cannot even come up with original
    >>> BS insults and accusations - you just borrow the drivel of other moronic
    >>> trolls.

    >> Idiot

    > My _Goddess_, that's original. Have you considered gay lames?

    Wait until he starts gibbering endlerssly about faeces.

    --
    alt.usenet.kooks
    Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

    Hammer of Thor: February 2007.
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker:
    September 2005, April 2006, January 2007, August 2008.
    Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle, Official owner
    and trainer of Bucky Breeder, August 2008.

    Member of:
    Usenet Ruiner List
    Top Assholes on the Net List
    Most hated usenetizens of all time List
    Cog in the AUK Hate Machine List

    Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

    Join me for dinner. I'm cooking fecal used tampons accentuated by
    decayed parakeet breast with cabbage vinaigrette and common gut with
    foul-smelling magpie offal, arranged in a randomly twitching cup
    containing squirming cooked sea slug, lobster and caviar in rancid eye
    gunk, a side of grains and a glass of vaginal discharge.

  19. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-10-02, Chris Davies wrote:
    >>
    >> Unfortunately Debian and its derivatives seem trigger happy about
    >> stopping a service before upgrading it. I can't speak for the Redhat
    >> rpm-based distributions, though; can anyone else contribute?

    > Dunno much about Redhat these days but Gentoo doesn't stop for anything.
    > Graphics drivers, KDE updates... I just keep working away. The only time
    > it needs a reboot is to install a new kernel.

    I've noticed that Debian will stop and restart some services during an
    upgraded. Some are restarted unconditionally, while others cause a
    prompt asking you about it.

    Generally, you can still keep working, though.

    --
    Two things are certain about science. It does not stand still for long,
    and it is never boring.

  20. Re: Higher cost of Linux system administrators?

    On Oct 2, 1:34*pm, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > I do not understand the distinction you are making between a "called" child
    > process and a "forked" process, since they all get started by one of the
    > fork(2) functions.

    I gather what he describes as called is "exec"ed, where a new process
    replaced the currently running one (after a fork in the case of
    xinetd).

    Steve