Live Searches Drop Below 1 Billion

,----[ Quote ]
| August U.S. search share data shows ugly declines for Microsoft in 2008.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...1_billion.html

For catching up with Google, this is the wrong direction. They can't achieve
anything with Windows. Why don't they just give up?

Yahoo joins Google in defending ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here's the bottom line," Decker wrote late last week. "Yahoo will use this
| agreement to help us become a stronger competitor in all aspects of online
| advertising; and Yahoo is not exiting the sponsored search business. We plan
| to remain a strong player in sponsored search."
|
| [...]
|
| Early on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that
| the deal gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic
| that derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just
| plain wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is
| non-exclusive and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and
| when we see fit. The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a
| more typical exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic
| commitments to Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are
| raising."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

Google Gets 70% of U.S. Searches

,----[ Quote ]
| But Google's gain led to lower numbers for other search companies. Yahoo Inc.
| received 19.62% of U.S. searches in June, down from 21.31% last year, while
| MSN Search received 5.46%, down from 9.85% in June 2007.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._searches.html

Microsoft shifts its search to AOL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...its.4306016.jp

,----[ Quote ]
| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
| But truth be told, it's not the worst idea. What's the harm in giving it a
| shot? In a recession--or whatever you want to call the current economic
| malaise in the United States--consumers are open to bribes (oh, I forgot:
| rebates). So why not see if this strikes the people's fancy? But this is only
| a holding action. The reason more people use Google's search is the user
| experience. It works better, so they keep returning. Microsoft CEO Steve
| Ballmer knows this.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-99...=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Microsoft spamming websites to boost its numbers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft claims that it's all part of a quality control effort, but a rising
| number of web masters is complaining that Microsoft is trying to inflate its
| Live.com traffic delivery by spamming websites.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9984574-16.html

Related:

Microsoft funding bankrupt Live Search experiment with porn spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear reader, please tell me: what do you think of a search engine that steals
| (bandwidth and AdSense revenue), lies, spams away, and is not clever enough
| to stop their criminal activities when they’re caught?
|
| Recently a Live Search rep whined in an interview because so many robots.txt
| files out there block their crawler...
`----

http://sebastians-pamphlets.com/micr...search-engine/

Microsoft’s Club Live fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| People were using the macro on more than 3 games at a time, on more than 2
| accounts at a time, why Microsoft didn’t pick up on the fact that in the
| first few days some people had accumulated enough for 3 Zunes each is beyond
| us. Some were lucky, others, not so much.
|
| [...]
|
| So far no one has been banned from using their accounts, which they needed to
| sign up, probably because they did not break any laws, or probably because
| Microsoft didn’t want that hassle and liked their new found traffic.
`----

http://www.blogthe.net/2007/07/16/mi...b-live-fiasco/

Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

,----[ Quote ]

`----