First Atom-based Linux MID ships for $700

,----[ Quote ]
| Aigo has started shipping what appears to be the first mobile Internet device
| (MID) based on the Intel Atom. The Linux-based Aigo P8860D is based on a
| soon-to-ship "M528" MID from Gigabyte, and features an 800MHz Z500 Atom,
| 512MB RAM, and a 4.8-inch touchscreen.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2...72.html?kc=rss

Recent:

$98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote

,----[ Quote ]
| HiVision CO., LTD makes one of the worlds cheapest Linux laptops at $98 using
| a new cheaper chipset, WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs Linux, 3 USB ports,
| Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out. Voice-chat, Skype, multi-tabbed
| Firefox browser support, Abiword for word processing.
`----

http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linu...sion-mininote/

$75 SODIMM-sized SBC runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| India-based E-con Systems has announced a Marvell PXA270-based system on
| module (SOM) that sells for as little as $75. The SODIMM-sized eSOM270 comes
| pre-installed with Linux, includes 64MB or 128MB of RAM, and has a camera
| interface and a LCD controller, E-con says.
`----

End Runs Around Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, the sources say employees in HP's PC division are exploring the
| possibility of building a mass-market operating system. HP's software would
| be based on Linux, the open-source operating system that is already widely
| available, but it would be simpler and easier for mainstream users, the
| sources say.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...f+the+magazine

HP's 'End Run' Around Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As Hewlett-Packard steps up efforts to make Microsoft's operating system
| easier to use, some want to devise a rival version with Linux
|
| [...]
|
| Others in HP's PC division are exploring the possibility of building an HP
| operating system for mainstream desktop and notebook computers based on the
| open-source Linux system, which competes with Windows, say people familiar
| with the company's plans. The goals may be to make HP less dependent on new
| releases of Windows, and to strengthen HP's hand against Apple (AAPL), which
| has gained market share with computers that boast innovative features and
| inspire a loyal following of users.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...s+%2B+analysis

Mainstream media writes Windows obit

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, a tough day for Windows.
|
| BusinessWeek reports that HP, the world’s biggest PC company, is so troubled
| by Vista’s ‘tepid reception’ and Apple’s resurgence that it is developing its
| own operating system. Meanwhile a New York Times columnist writes on his blog
| that Windows is “already dying a death by a thousand cuts.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=219

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/14970...n_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...nical_details/

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars