RMS Looks Beyond Dying Proprietary Software, Slams Clouds - Linux

  1. RMS Looks Beyond Dying Proprietary Software, Slams Clouds

    Stallman warns against cloud computing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an interview reported by The Guardian, he said, "It's stupidity. It's
    | worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign."
    |
    | Stallman warns that cloud computing is simply a trap to entice users' into
    | entrusting their data and computing applications to proprietary systems that
    | are beyond their own control and which service providers could make more and
    | more expensive for users over time. He doesn't trust the vendors.
    |
    | "Somebody is saying this is inevitable -- and whenever you hear somebody
    | saying that, it's very likely to be a set of businesses campaigning to make
    | it true," Stallman said.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-against-cloud

    It's probably safe as long as the users run it on their own server and control
    the code, the style of the pages (layout), the terms/conditions of use, etc.

    Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Web-based programs like Google's Gmail will force people to buy into locked,
    | proprietary systems that will cost more and more over time, according to the
    | free software campaigner
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...chard.stallman

    Recent:

    New Ulteo Application System coming soon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It’s slick, automatic, and have the latest software version inside (Firefox
    | 3, OpenOffice 2.4…). We’re on track to release the first alpha of
    | Ulteo “Polaris”, and guess what? Soon you may be able to play with the first
    | Ulteo SBC/VDI solution for corporates.
    `----

    http://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/?p=62

    Ulteo: What Gael Did Next

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And I hope that he and his team are able to offer a stable, fast service long
    | before Microsoft make significant headway with their secretive Midori
    | project.
    `----

    http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot....-did-next.html

    Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
    | a research project.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...nical_details/

    Ulteo Virtual Desktop: Letting Linux Do Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While Test Center reviewers with Linux knowledge didn't really see the
    | usefulness of the application, others with limited familiarity were wowed by
    | it. The biggest value of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is in letting newcomers to
    | Linux get acquainted with it in a comfortable, Windows environment. All of
    | the included applications are integrated seamlessly, with easy access to the
    | Desktop and My Documents folders, as well as network connectivity. Similar to
    | the KDE layout, the Ulteo Virtual Desktop's interface is easy to navigate and
    | the included array of graphics viewers and editors, multimedia players,
    | office-based programs, and utilities are intuitive to those unfamiliar with
    | them. Mozilla's FireFox Web browser and ThunderBird mail client are the
    | default, as is the Kopete IM client.
    |
    | Considering that this is not even a version 1 beta, we have high hopes for
    | Ulteo Virtual Desktop. It allows Linux novices to dip their toes into the
    | water without any fear, and lets Linux pros use their favorite applications
    | when they are forced to be in a Windows environment.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/208400377

    Related:

    Run Native Linux Applications in Windows Vista - Via Ulteo Virtual Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Binaries tailored specifically to the open source Linux operating system can
    | coexist on the same desktop with Windows Vista and Windows XP programs via
    | Ulteo Virtual Desktop. Essentially, the
    | promise of the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is to deliver Linux applications on
    | Windows via the Ulteo panel. The virtualized environment will permit end
    | users to run native Linux solutions right on the Windows Vista desktop, and
    | integration complete down to the level of sharing the Windows Aero graphical
    | user interface.
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Run-N...ta-86390.shtml

    Flipping the Linux switch: Switching, literally, with Ulteo Virtual Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Like andLinux, Ulteo's Virtual Desktop (often referred to with the rather
    | misfortunate name UlteoVD) runs off a coLinux base. There is no
    | virtualization software involved. But we'd especially recommend UlteoVD for
    | those pondering whether a Linux switch could work for them, for a number of
    | reasons.We'd recommend UlteoVD first to people who are currently using or
    | could see themselves using their previous services. Ulteo started by offering
    | OpenOffice.org in a browser, coupled with syncing services. Nice, for sure.
    | They then offered an installable Ulteo disk, which felt a lot like Ubuntu in
    | many ways, with the noticeable difference of automatic updates (as in, no
    | user interaction) and syncing with the browser based services.
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/05...th-ulteo-virt/
    http://tinyurl.com/46jn4x

    Ulteo — My digital life made simple

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, after two years, there is a successive release of the Ulteo
    | distribution. The purpose of the Beta1 Ulteo Application System is to feature
    | what it can develop into in the nearest future, especially considering the
    | Ulteo Online Desktop. * * * *
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/linux/ulteo/u...e-made-simple/

    Ulteo Application System Beta 1 - the FOSSwire review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ulteo is no ordinary Linux distribution. It demonstrates incredible
    | innovation.
    |
    | It is clear that in the future, we won’t use computers anything like we do
    | now. More and more data will be moved away from specific client devices, like
    | the PC, and be put on a server somewhere. It will be networks and
    | infrastructure that then connect each client device to the data. *
    |
    | Wherever you are, whatever device you’re using, you’ll be able to access your
    | data and keep it fully synchronised with everything else.
    |
    | Ulteo doesn’t do all this yet, it’s not even close. But Ulteo takes an
    | important step towards this goal, and demonstrates how this might be
    | possible, perhaps giving a little window into what could happen in the
    | future. *
    |
    | It is an extremely promising proof of concept that this just might be able to
    | work and I will continue to follow the Ulteo project with keen interest.
    `----

    http://fosswire.com/2008/03/28/ulteo...sswire-review/

    Ulteo Applications System Beta 1 Screenshots

    http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opens...tem%20Beta%201

    What Gael Did Next - Ulteo Online Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I will admit that I haven’t played with it that much, so this review is a bit
    | limited. That said, if you are away from your home machine, your office
    | machine or even your home country, you can be working fairly quickly whether
    | you carry a laptop or not. *
    |
    | If you are interested, go to the Ulteo homepage and sign up and try it out.
    | It’s still in it’s relatively early stages (the software included in the
    | desktop is not current) but already you can see that you have much more than
    | Google are offering. *
    `----

    http://www.lostaddress.org/index.php...nline-desktop/

    Ulteo Application System beta1 has been released…

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Automatic synchronization of documents with the Ulteo Online Desktop,
    | automatic upgrading, new “My Digital life” panel, installation in about 3
    | minutes, hundreds applications available… That’s what you’ll find in this
    | just-released installable version of Ulteo Application System. *
    `----

    http://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/?p=50

    Ulteo brings OpenOffice to Web browser

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | People can also exchange documents in Microsoft's Office format or PDF. The
    | service also supports the OpenDocument Format standard.
    |
    | There are already several companies offering online versions of traditional
    | desktop applications, including Google, Zoho, and others. Microsoft on Monday
    | released Office Live Workspace, which lets people share Office documents on a
    | hosted Web server. *
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-983...ml?tag=newsmap

    Use OpenOffice.org online with Ulteo !

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Register to be one of the 15,000 beta users
    `----

    http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/news/20...11?autolang=en

    Ulteo Declares a Desktop Revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Several Linux systems debuted over the last few years with the
    | promise of making Linux easier for the ordinary user. The
    | lastest of the desktop debutantes is a mysterious Linux know as Ulteo.
    `----

    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15854

  2. Re: RMS Looks Beyond Dying Proprietary Software, Slams Clouds

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Stallman warns against cloud computing
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In an interview reported by The Guardian, he said, "It's stupidity. It's
    >| worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign."
    >|
    >| Stallman warns that cloud computing is simply a trap to entice users' into
    >| entrusting their data and computing applications to proprietary systems that
    >| are beyond their own control and which service providers could make more and
    >| more expensive for users over time. He doesn't trust the vendors.
    >|
    >| "Somebody is saying this is inevitable -- and whenever you hear somebody
    >| saying that, it's very likely to be a set of businesses campaigning to make
    >| it true," Stallman said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-against-cloud
    >
    > It's probably safe as long as the users run it on their own server and control
    > the code, the style of the pages (layout), the terms/conditions of use, etc.

    I tend to agree that there is a huge risk here, however, we must also
    recognise that the 1970s desktop model of computing is completely dead,
    that people are no longer fixed by wiring and cumbersome machines to a
    single location, rather, they are connected through both the internet
    and the pstn to the rest of the world.

    The question which needs to be properly addressed is how consumer data,
    which exists in all manner of locations, can be properly merged and
    managed in order to meet the mobility requirements of the customer, end
    user, or however they be called.

    Interesting questions include... can you retain servers at your own
    property which can be remotely accessed? Can you merge such accesses
    with eg., an Asus EEE or Nokia N810? What about calendaring, diaries,
    address books and so on?

    There is a massive opportunity for the open-source community to enter
    this space with open systems which enable the customer to meet their
    mobility requirements without becoming beholden to some proprietary
    storage mechanism. We already have a wide range of ultra-mobile devices
    which are sufficiently open to suit most foss afficionados, such as the
    Openmoko devices for phones, the Limo phones, Android, as well as the
    miniature PCs mentioned above.

    What I've yet to see addressed is the equivalent of "scheduleworld" for
    everything, rather than just calendaring and address-books.

  3. Re: RMS Looks Beyond Dying Proprietary Software, Slams Clouds

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Stallman warns against cloud computing
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In an interview reported by The Guardian, he said, "It's stupidity. It's
    >| worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign."
    >|
    >| Stallman warns that cloud computing is simply a trap to entice users' into
    >| entrusting their data and computing applications to proprietary systems that
    >| are beyond their own control and which service providers could make more and
    >| more expensive for users over time. He doesn't trust the vendors.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-against-cloud

    No ****, Richard.

    Can't have a knowledgable user, can ye?

    Those kind always find ways ta cheat ya out of yer due!

    Arrrrrrgh, me hearties! Chain those scalliwags to our business silo,
    laddies!

    --
    Will credit-swap for food.
    -- Wall Street

  4. Re: RMS Looks Beyond Dying Proprietary Software, Slams Clouds

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 01 October 2008 11:57 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Stallman warns against cloud computing
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| In an interview reported by The Guardian, he said, "It's stupidity. It's
    >>| worse than stupidity: it's a marketing hype campaign."
    >>|
    >>| Stallman warns that cloud computing is simply a trap to entice users' into
    >>| entrusting their data and computing applications to proprietary systems
    >>| that are beyond their own control and which service providers could make
    >>| more and more expensive for users over time. He doesn't trust the vendors.
    >>|
    >>| "Somebody is saying this is inevitable -- and whenever you hear somebody
    >>| saying that, it's very likely to be a set of businesses campaigning to make
    >>| it true," Stallman said.
    >> `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-against-cloud

    >> It's probably safe as long as the users run it on their own server and
    >> control the code, the style of the pages (layout), the terms/conditions of
    >> use, etc.
    >>

    > I tend to agree that there is a huge risk here, however, we must also
    > recognise that the 1970s desktop model of computing is completely dead,
    > that people are no longer fixed by wiring and cumbersome machines to a
    > single location, rather, they are connected through both the internet
    > and the pstn to the rest of the world.
    >
    > The question which needs to be properly addressed is how consumer data,
    > which exists in all manner of locations, can be properly merged and
    > managed in order to meet the mobility requirements of the customer, end
    > user, or however they be called.
    >
    > Interesting questions include... can you retain servers at your own
    > property which can be remotely accessed? Can you merge such accesses
    > with eg., an Asus EEE or Nokia N810? What about calendaring, diaries,
    > address books and so on?
    >
    > There is a massive opportunity for the open-source community to enter
    > this space with open systems which enable the customer to meet their
    > mobility requirements without becoming beholden to some proprietary
    > storage mechanism. We already have a wide range of ultra-mobile devices
    > which are sufficiently open to suit most foss afficionados, such as the
    > Openmoko devices for phones, the Limo phones, Android, as well as the
    > miniature PCs mentioned above.
    >
    > What I've yet to see addressed is the equivalent of "scheduleworld" for
    > everything, rather than just calendaring and address-books.

    I personally use my desktop as a 'server' to which I can SSH. I suppose it'll
    become possible for people to just connect to 'home' instead of a 'cloud'
    (someone else's untrusted home). it gives that "someone else" a lot of
    control, which can be channeled toward profit later on. Just watch what they
    do in Facebook, which retains a lot of personal data.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done

+ Reply to Thread