Lawson Software CEO: Proprietary software is 'like cocaine'

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's Larry Ellison said roughly the same thing a few months ago to Wall
| Street analysts, but he wasn't nearly as blunt about it. He just said that
| SaaS lowers his margins ("The last thing we want to do is have a very large
| business that's not profitable and drags our margins down") and makes it
| harder for Oracle to raise prices.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10...bj=TheOpenRoad

The most important open source system: Voting

,----[ Quote ]
| Here in the states we are coming up on a very important election - the
| election of the President of the United States. And I would be remiss if I
| did not address this topic in a blog dedicated to the topic of open source.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=277

Recent:

Not Worried Enough Yet?

,----[ Quote ]
| For a bit of contrast, here’s a page from Australia’s Capital Territory
| Election Commision’s site, which gives complete public access to their
| open-source voting software.
|
| In one sentence, they explain why they’re smart and we’re dumb:
|
| * * The software for the electronic voting and counting system was built
| * * using Linux open source software, which was chosen specifically for this
| * * electoral system to ensure that election software is open and transparent
| * * and could be made available to scrutineers, candidates and other
| * * participants in the electoral process.
|
| I’m don’t think there’s a pill strong enough to make me feel better about
| this one.
`----

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/09/...ied_enough_yet

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/ne...rates_to_linux

Open source software use sought in automated election system

,----[ Quote ]
| A newly organized group of information technology professionals has called on
| government to use open standards and open source technology for the
| automation of elections in the Philippines.
|
| [...]
|
| Ito Gruet, who is an IT professional and member of the Advocacy for Open
| Systems in Elections, said the use of open standards or open source
| technology would promote "transparency" in the development of the automated
| election system.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...lection-system

LinuxWorld gets an open source voting tryout

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/L...--/news/111243