A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP - Linux

This is a discussion on A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP - Linux ; "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post 48e296bf$0$16893$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 9/30/08 2:14 PM: > Tom Shelton wrote: > > > >> >> I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running - since I >> have NEVER had any issue at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48e296bf$0$16893$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 9/30/08 2:14 PM:

    > Tom Shelton wrote:
    >
    > < snip >
    >

    >> I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running - since I
    >> have NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.
    >>

    > I have. Often

    And thus it is clear you often use Windows. OK.

    > There are *lots* of USB devices out there which are detected as "new
    > hardware" if you just plug them into a different USB port.
    > And no, I simply don't care if it is a driver issue or a windows issue.
    > Windows does the "device detecing" and fails in finding that it already has
    > the correct driver installed.
    >
    > This has never happened on any of my linux boxes. No matter where I plugged
    > the very same (troublesome under windows) devices they were found at once
    > and worked.

    Heck, Windows pops up a message to tell you when something *works*, as if
    that were a surprise!

    --
    One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

  2. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    The liar Michael Glasser (Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets) snotted:

    > "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    > 48e296bf$0$16893$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 9/30/08 2:14 PM:
    >
    >> Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>
    >> < snip >
    >>

    >>> I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running - since
    >>> I have NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.
    >>>

    >> I have. Often

    > And thus it is clear you often use Windows. OK.

    You mean I have to take a look at windows boxen too often?

    >> There are *lots* of USB devices out there which are detected as "new
    >> hardware" if you just plug them into a different USB port.
    >> And no, I simply don't care if it is a driver issue or a windows issue.
    >> Windows does the "device detecing" and fails in finding that it already
    >> has the correct driver installed.
    >>
    >> This has never happened on any of my linux boxes. No matter where I
    >> plugged the very same (troublesome under windows) devices they were found
    >> at once and worked.

    > Heck, Windows pops up a message to tell you when something *works*, as if
    > that were a surprise!

    Err, no. When windows pops up that message it is telling you it does *not*
    *yet* work. What part of "new hardware found" is too difficult for you to
    understand, "IT teacher" Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets/Michael
    Glasser? No wonder that you are universally seen as the most
    incompetent "IT teacher" of all time. You simply know nothing worthwile
    about computers
    --
    Only two things are infinite,
    the Universe and Stupidity.

  3. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    Verily I say unto thee, that Robin T Cox spake thusly:

    [snip flatty's bull****]

    >> This is a complete joke....

    It certainly is.

    My experience was somewhat different:

    Finally the install begins with an update check (another firewall
    panic), and what the installer claims will be a four-step process. It
    briefly "inspects" the system (whatever that means), then gives me a
    choice of two install methods - Full or Express (recommended). The least
    amount I can install is *200MB* apparently!!! WTF!!! For a *printer
    driver*? Gimmie a break. Oh well, I may as well go with "full" (at some
    450MB) and be done with it. Don't wanna get short changed, after all.

    Then comes the obligatory license agreement, where I have to swear a
    blood-oath to sacrifice my first-born to King Herod, or something.

    The next bit is far more worrisome, and indeed quite shocking.
    Apparently HP want to install some software on my system called "HP
    Extended Capabilities", that rather ominously collects information about
    *every page* I print and *sends that info to HP* for "marketing
    purposes". Good God almighty!

    At this point the Wizard's progress is still only at 9%, and that's as
    far as it's going to get apparently, because it b0rks with the message
    "The installation was not successful"; generates some log files; reports
    the error to HP; suggests I unplug all my USB devices (I don't have any
    plugged in); undoes everything it's done so far; then quits.

    Oh, and apparently I still have to reboot anyway, even though it failed
    to install.

    Wonderful.

    #########
    # Linux #
    #########

    From the Gnome menu: System -> Administration -> Printing

    Type root password (of course, since I am changing system settings).

    Click the "New Printer" button, then select the "HP JetDirect" protocol.
    Type in the IP number [1] (shown in my router's "connected devices"
    page), and the port number (already correctly set at 9100).

    Select the printer make ("HP" is preselected) and model ("Deskjet 6940"
    is also preselected).

    Give it a common name, description and location (for information
    purposes only).

    Done.

    Total time: 15 seconds.
    Total software installed: zero.

    >> And people wonder why Linux isn't ready for average Joe?

    > If you're an example of the average Joe, then God help us.

    The only thing flatty is an example of, is a stupid Troll.

    > The trouble with many ex-Windows users is that they don't expect the
    > setting up of printers etc to be so easy, and instead go hunting
    > round for drivers that really interrupt what the system alone just
    > does, if left alone.

    It took me all of 2 seconds to find the info flatty somehow couldn't:

    HP LaserJet p1006

    Supported by HPLIP (requires HPLIP version 2.8.2 or later).
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...jet_p1006.html

    http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...s2007.i586.rpm

    If he enables the "testing" repo, he'll be able to install the latest
    release of HPLIP using APT or Synaptic.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:29:33 up 45 days, 20:42, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

  4. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    On Sep 30, 3:30 pm, Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Robin T Cox spake thusly:
    >
    > > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > [snip flatty's bull****]
    >
    > >> This is a complete joke....

    > It certainly is.
    >
    > My experience was somewhat different:
    >
    > [quote]
    > Finally the install begins with an update check (another firewall
    > panic), and what the installer claims will be a four-step process. It
    > briefly "inspects" the system (whatever that means), then gives me a
    > choice of two install methods - Full or Express (recommended). The least
    > amount I can install is *200MB* apparently!!! WTF!!! For a *printer
    > driver*? Gimmie a break. Oh well, I may as well go with "full" (at some
    > 450MB) and be done with it. Don't wanna get short changed, after all.

    According to DFS, Microsoft uses 200MB for a printer driver because
    they know that modern memory is cheap and should be used!!! And if
    Vista needs 2GB to even run, that's just another sign of their modern
    way of thinking at Microsoft!

  5. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Richard Rasker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Yup, been there, done that.
    >
    > First Windows:
    >

    > Now Linux, Mandriva 2008.1:

    Stuff like that with Windows is why I'm willing to put up with an
    occasion small hurdle on Linux.

    --
    Nobody is one block of harmony. We are all afraid of something, or feel
    limited in something. We all need somebody to talk to. It would be good

  6. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Tom Shelton belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running - since I have
    > NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.

    I have. Our group has. Similar kinds of stuff.

    --
    Every paper published in a respectable journal should have a preface by
    the author stating why he is publishing the article, and what value he

  7. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    > I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running -
    > since I have NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.

    You must be running Windows 95a, the USB-less version, since every other
    version of Windows since has been completely brain-dead when enumerating
    USB devices ... or any PnP hardware for that matter.

    I still recall the hours of "fun" I had watching XP inform me that a USB
    HDD I reconnected was now magically "unrecognised" even though it worked
    fine 30 seconds earlier, only to find I needed to reboot to get it to be
    re-enumerated properly. But my absolute favourite part of all was having
    XP accumulate hundreds of "Printer #'s" for each time I plugged a USB
    printer into a different socket ... just like it did with my modem every
    time I plugged it into the serial port.

    There's a damned good reason it's nicknamed "Plug and Pray".

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:02:03 up 45 days, 23:15, 5 users, load average: 0.28, 0.12, 0.08

  8. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:02:19 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    >> I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running -
    >> since I have NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.

    >You must be running Windows 95a, the USB-less version, since every other
    >version of Windows since has been completely brain-dead when enumerating
    >USB devices ... or any PnP hardware for that matter.

    >I still recall the hours of "fun" I had watching XP inform me that a USB
    >HDD I reconnected was now magically "unrecognised" even though it worked
    >fine 30 seconds earlier, only to find I needed to reboot to get it to be
    >re-enumerated properly. But my absolute favourite part of all was having
    >XP accumulate hundreds of "Printer #'s" for each time I plugged a USB
    >printer into a different socket ... just like it did with my modem every
    >time I plugged it into the serial port.

    >There's a damned good reason it's nicknamed "Plug and Pray".

    I'm especially fond of seeing windows copy 500MB of hp printer vomit
    just because I used remote desktop to connect. I guess it
    disconnected the printer to connect a local printer and then decided
    it had never seen the printer previously when it reconnected it.

  9. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:09:31 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On 2008-09-30, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Yup, been there, done that.
    >>
    >> First Windows:
    >> Open box, first thing you see is a big red warning sign: "WARNING! Install
    >> Printer Drivers BEFORE Connecting the Printer!".
    >> Yup, that's because if you hook it up, and Windows decides it's Device XYZ
    >> instead of the actual printer, there's no way to make Windows change its
    >> mind, short of a full reinstall -- at least not in a way the Average Joe
    >> can do it. And yes, I've met plenty of people who have been bitten by this,
    >> simply because they reinstalled Windows and didn't remember the warning
    >> sign etcetera.
    >> But OK, let's assume all goes well. Insert CD, click Start, click Next a few
    >> dozen times, get a huge amount of crap installed apart from the actual
    >> drivers (and wasn't there something about HP's drivers reporting to the
    >> mothership?), click Finish. OK, Done.
    >> Now let's finally hook up the printer to the USB port. And lo and behold, it
    >> works. Capital.
    >> Oh, I need to get something from my USB key. Whoops, we're short on USB
    >> ports. OK, I unplug the printer, insert the USB key, and yup, there's the
    >> systray icon, telling me "New Hardware Found". But uh-oh, nothing happens
    >> when I click it. After ten minutes it turns out that this problem
    >> is "fixed" by rebooting. Great. But alas, hooking up the printer makes the
    >> USB port unusable for anything else until after a reboot. Ah well, the
    >> usual crapware from Redmond, or from HP, trying to accommodate Redmond's
    >> crapware. And there's nothing I can do, as Windows is like a car with the
    >> hood welded shut.
    >>

    > I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running - since I have
    > NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.

    It's the COLA version.
    It doesn't work at all.
    You don't even have to install it to *discover* that.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:02:21 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > HP P1006 personal Laser Printer ($69.99 on sale at OfficeMax)
    >
    > Fully supported by Windows/Mac and Linux.
    >
    > Windows install:
    > Put CD in and click enter a couple of times.
    > It even shows you how to unpack the printer, which is not exactly obvious
    > BTW because there are little orange protective clips everywhere and it's
    > easy to miss one.
    >
    > Done....
    >
    > Linux?
    >
    > I still don't have it installed....

    On a whim I decided to try it on my daughter's Gateway laptop running the
    very much maligned Vista.
    It found the printer, in less than 5 minutes it was installed and a test
    page printed.

    Linux?

    Total time wasted was about 3 hours.

    A noob doesn't stand a chance.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    48e2a461$0$16898$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 9/30/08 3:12 PM:

    > The liar Michael Glasser (Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets) snotted:

    See how you lash out, Peter. You are so amazingly hate filled. That cannot
    be good for you.

    >> "Peter Köhlmann" stated in post
    >> 48e296bf$0$16893$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net on 9/30/08 2:14 PM:
    >>
    >>> Tom Shelton wrote:
    >>>
    >>> < snip >

    >>> I have. Often

    >> And thus it is clear you often use Windows. OK.

    > You mean I have to take a look at windows boxen too often?

    Ah, you have to look at them but not use them. Snicker.

    >>> There are *lots* of USB devices out there which are detected as "new
    >>> hardware" if you just plug them into a different USB port.
    >>> And no, I simply don't care if it is a driver issue or a windows issue.
    >>> Windows does the "device detecing" and fails in finding that it already
    >>> has the correct driver installed.
    >>>
    >>> This has never happened on any of my linux boxes. No matter where I
    >>> plugged the very same (troublesome under windows) devices they were found
    >>> at once and worked.

    >> Heck, Windows pops up a message to tell you when something *works*, as if
    >> that were a surprise!
    >>

    > Err, no. When windows pops up that message it is telling you it does *not*
    > *yet* work. What part of "new hardware found" is too difficult for you to
    > understand, "IT teacher" Snot/Snit/Rekruled/Brock McNuggets/Michael
    > Glasser? No wonder that you are universally seen as the most
    > incompetent "IT teacher" of all time. You simply know nothing worthwile
    > about computers

    Plug it in - it tells you even when it *does* work. Once again you show you
    know nothing of Windows.

    By the way, when it is finding new hardware do you think that always means
    it is not working? Should it *not* be able to work with the hardware? LOL!

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  12. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:09:31 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    >> I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running -
    >> since I have NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.

    > It's the COLA version.
    > It doesn't work at all.
    > You don't even have to install it to *discover* that.

    XP works fine for the lying cola freetards. We know it, and they know we
    know it, and we know they know we know it

    It's Linux that really wastes their time and twists them into the raging
    pubescents they are.

  13. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:27:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:09:31 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    >>> I keep wondering what version of Windows you people are running -
    >>> since I have NEVER had any issue at all with USB on windows.

    >> It's the COLA version.
    >> It doesn't work at all.
    >> You don't even have to install it to *discover* that.

    > XP works fine for the lying cola freetards. We know it, and they know we
    > know it, and we know they know we know it
    >
    > It's Linux that really wastes their time and twists them into the raging
    > pubescents they are.

    It's true.
    So now I am battling sharing the printer attached to a machine running
    PCLinuxOS with my other machine which is running Ubuntu or occasionally
    Windows.

    The same printer on the same machine when booted to Windows XP required a
    single click to share it with the other systems in the house, running
    Windows of course.

    Linux can't even see another Linux machine.
    Cups, ipp, lpp,samba oh my..... What a mess...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:27:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> It's the COLA version.
    >>> It doesn't work at all.
    >>> You don't even have to install it to *discover* that.

    >> XP works fine for the lying cola freetards. We know it, and they
    >> know we know it, and we know they know we know it
    >>
    >> It's Linux that really wastes their time and twists them into the
    >> raging pubescents they are.

    > It's true.

    And the Linux forums and the Internet have all the proof of what a time sink
    the crapware is.

    > So now I am battling sharing the printer attached to a machine running
    > PCLinuxOS with my other machine which is running Ubuntu or
    > occasionally Windows.
    >
    > The same printer on the same machine when booted to Windows XP
    > required a single click to share it with the other systems in the
    > house, running Windows of course.
    >
    > Linux can't even see another Linux machine.
    > Cups, ipp, lpp,samba oh my..... What a mess...

    It's truly pathetic to see the cola wacks ignoring your issue, or bringing
    up a different printer/distro as if that proves something.

  15. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:54:49 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> XP works fine for the lying cola freetards. We know it, and they
    >>> know we know it, and we know they know we know it
    >>>
    >>> It's Linux that really wastes their time and twists them into the
    >>> raging pubescents they are.

    >> It's true.

    > And the Linux forums and the Internet have all the proof of what a time sink
    > the crapware is.

    It truly is a time consuming beast that's for sure.

    >> So now I am battling sharing the printer attached to a machine running
    >> PCLinuxOS with my other machine which is running Ubuntu or
    >> occasionally Windows.
    >>
    >> The same printer on the same machine when booted to Windows XP
    >> required a single click to share it with the other systems in the
    >> house, running Windows of course.
    >>
    >> Linux can't even see another Linux machine.
    >> Cups, ipp, lpp,samba oh my..... What a mess...

    > It's truly pathetic to see the cola wacks ignoring your issue, or bringing
    > up a different printer/distro as if that proves something.

    They have no other choice.
    You see unlike them, I presented my proof and they can't refute it other
    than to lie and try and twist the discussion around.

    They don't even have the brains to read the entire post before frothing at
    the mouth in a effort to discredit me.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    Verily I say unto thee, that AZ Nomad spake thusly:

    > I'm especially fond of seeing windows copy 500MB of hp printer vomit
    > just because I used remote desktop to connect. I guess it
    > disconnected the printer to connect a local printer and then decided
    > it had never seen the printer previously when it reconnected it.

    Oh yes, thanks for reminding me that not only does Windows somehow need
    to re-enumerate the same hardware; but it also insists on re-installing
    the same mountain of Shovelware every time too. That's assuming it even
    recognises the same hardware properly the next time around, otherwise I
    need to reboot first, then have it re-enumerate the hardware, then load
    the Shovelware, then go through yet another obligatory reboot because I
    installed something that tried to overwrite a locked file. I think that
    the "Play" in "Plug and Play" must refer to some demented game invented
    by the Vole, where the object is to see how long it takes for some poor
    bastard to go nuts and throw his damned hardware out the window.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    11:11:35 up 46 days, 8:24, 4 users, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.06

  17. Re: A Tale of Two Printer Installs.... Linux vs Windows XP

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    >Face it: Windows is a mess. It's utter crap. It's **** sold as gold. Just
    >look at Microsoft's modus operandi: just when they sort of fixed perhaps
    >half of XP's serious flaws, after, what, six years or thereabouts, so it
    >actually becomes sort of usable? Well, that's when they tell all those
    >stupid, gullible suckers around the globe that XP is history, and that
    >everyone must move on to the next steaming heap of bug-infested excrements
    >called Vista.

    "98% of the market seems to like it." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron
    Quark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2